Exclusive: James Robinson Talks ALL-NEW INVADERS, Original Sin, and New Characters

Posted by G-Man (34944 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesterday we saw a teaser for Original Sin involving ALL-NEW INVADERS. With these teasers, the big questions are who is involved in the big revelation and what will it deal with.

With the Invaders, we have several characters it could involve. We could be patient and wait until June to find out. Or we could talk to James Robinson to get some answers about the Invaders' Original Sin as well as what we can expect in the coming months.

COMIC VINE: Will the story with the Kree and the “Gods Whisper” conclude before Original Sin begins?

JAMES ROBINSON: Yes it will. Although, as you’ll see in issue #5, the final page shows that there’s a much bigger story that’s going to unfold, involving the Kree and the Eternals. There’s also a huge figure in the Marvel Universe that will play out down the line, in both ALL-NEW INVADERS and FANTASTIC FOUR.

CV: Any hints on who has the big secret that will be revealed?

JR: The Original Sin will involve the granddaughter of a 1940s Invader/Kid Commando named Golden Girl. This new character that I’m introducing has become one of the primary heroes of Japan. Her Japanese name is Supreme Radiant Friend. But she’s known to America and to S.H.I.E.L.D. as just Radiance (designed by manga artist Retsu Tateo of Full Metal Panic fame).

Without giving too much away, the history of her grandmother and of Japan will play heavily into the Original Sin committed by all of the Invaders, including Jim Hammond and Namor.

As an extra hint, I will say that if people know the history of Captain America, he’s the one person it won’t include because at this point in the past, Steve Rogers and Bucky were both assumed to be dead. If people know the history of the past, they’ll be able to put a time element to the Sin it involves.

CV: Will the revelation affect the team dynamic in any way?

JR: To some degree, it will affect it. It will also put the team much more front and center in the Marvel Universe. With issue #6, Jim Hammond, the original Human Torch, will be an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

CV: Will the Invaders be a team the public is aware of?

JR: No, not really. They’re sort of an irregular group that comes together because of situations that present themselves. It isn’t like they have a battle cry. That aspect of the Invaders will never be something that we experience.

ALL-NEW INVADERS #4

CV: Going along with this, how often will the team meet or operate? When the situation comes up?

JR: Yes, when the situation comes up. But rest assured, I have a lot of ideas for situations that will come up. Some will be on Earth and some will have a much more cosmic build.

CV: What can you tell us about any new members?

JR: There will be a new member in issues 6 and 7. I will introduce the second new member in issues 8 through 10.

ALL-NEW INVADERS #4

CV: Is Bucky’s status going to be dealt with? There's the fact that people think he’s dead and they’re operating together.

JR: As things unfold in the Marvel Universe, yes, Bucky’s status will be dealt with, but not in issues 6 and 7.

ALL-NEW INVADERS #4

ALL-NEW INVADERS #6, the Original Sin issue, is on sale in June. The next issue, issue #4, is on sale April 23, 2014.

Staff
#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by CoryNick (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Love this series so far and it looks like more great stuff is headed our way!!

#3 Posted by bladewolf (769 posts) - - Show Bio

Really fun series! Loving the direction!

#4 Posted by rob1157 (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like fun. Robinson at the top of his game.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio

Also with all the cosmic shenanigans going on at Marvel these days I'm really glad someone remembered the Eternals, those guys really should have a bigger place in the MU than the Inhumans.

#6 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to finally see some diversity in this team popping up. Hopefully the new members further add that.

I'm actually really intrested in radiencr and found it cool that they got a japnese person to design her.

#7 Edited by bluebolt1967 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Met James at the Kansas City Planet Comicon and he is a class individual and very friendly and open to his fans. I'm enjoying Invaders so far and hope that it has a long life - either in high issue numbers or multiple volumes with lots of #1 issues. I'm hoping that Original Sin is also fun to read and am intrigued by the Invaders' secret as well

#8 Edited by EdBlank (536 posts) - - Show Bio

"Androids" in the Mu have always confused the s*** out of me. What exactly are they made of that people think they are real people? How do they have girlfriends?Why is he called "Human Torch" if he's a gotdanged android?

#9 Posted by Perfect 10 (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

that interior art looks really good. going to check it out! JAPAN POWER!!

#10 Posted by War Killer (20248 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that they're introducing new characters into the team, though I do hope that former members like Union Jack and Spitfire end up rejoining the team at some point; but I like this new Radiance character.

I'm also glad to hear that Bucky's current status will be brought up as that was one thing that kinda bugged me. I just hope that it's handled properly and the ramifications of that are also handled properly and not just rushed simply so they're able to have Bucky out in public.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about the team not really being a "team." The idea that they only come together for certain missions makes sense, though it would make a little more sense if the team had some connection to S.H.I.E.L.D. in some form, who could alert the Invaders of certain missions that they need to handle.

#11 Posted by micah (1450 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait. Invaders vs Eternals

#12 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4808 posts) - - Show Bio

The art looks good and the story has gotten my attention finally. But, I am not going to check this out. My "pull list" if you will, is too much at the moment.

Life was so much better before adulthood. (+)

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that they're introducing new characters into the team, though I do hope that former members like Union Jack and Spitfire end up rejoining the team at some point; but I like this new Radiance character.

I'm also glad to hear that Bucky's current status will be brought up as that was one thing that kinda bugged me. I just hope that it's handled properly and the ramifications of that are also handled properly and not just rushed simply so they're able to have Bucky out in public.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about the team not really being a "team." The idea that they only come together for certain missions makes sense, though it would make a little more sense if the team had some connection to S.H.I.E.L.D. in some form, who could alert the Invaders of certain missions that they need to handle.

Well the Uman Torch is going to become a member of SHIELD. I really hope they don't make Bucky a covert "hero" or anything, he does not work well like that.

#14 Posted by War Killer (20248 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

Well the Uman Torch is going to become a member of SHIELD. I really hope they don't make Bucky a covert "hero" or anything, he does not work well like that.

What do you mean by "covert hero?"

Personally I think it would make more sense to simply make the Invaders a special S.H.I.E.L.D. task-force. The team was originally American's first government sponsored super-human team and turning around and having it work as a covert-like task-force that isn't public like the Avengers but handles certain missions that maybe The Avengers shouldn't be dealing with.

It just makes more sense then having the team come together randomly simply because the threat at that time has some ties to the Invaders. I feel like that would get repetitive if that ends up being the only reason they come together now.

#15 Edited by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Great preview pages for ANI #4, with the rest of the gang (Toro, Union Jack, and Spitfire) -- and especially glad to FINALLY see Namor cut loose, and against Ikaris! Awesome!

New character looks interesting also. And am curious about this new major character that will in both Invaders and FF.

One nit ... why is U-Man white?

#16 Posted by Terson382 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Google is paying 75$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On Sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. Useful site....... www.Works23.us

#17 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: like I hope they don't announce to everybody that Bucky isn't dead then have him become a regular hero fighting crime and stuff.

#18 Posted by Jake Fury (18738 posts) - - Show Bio

Need to catch up on this. Robinson is great on this book.

Earth 2 has stunk since he left.

#20 Posted by War Killer (20248 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: like I hope they don't announce to everybody that Bucky isn't dead then have him become a regular hero fighting crime and stuff.

Oh yeah that would not be cool. Bucky's not a crime-fighter, he's a soldier. But it appears that Robinson doesn't plan on making this team's existence public knowledge, so I don't think we'll have to worry about the public learning that he's a alive. A lot of heroes still believe he died in Fear Itself, even Jim Hammond thought he was dead. Robinson may be planning on exploring the idea of other heroes learning that Bucky's still alive or possibly the Russian government learning this and demanding he be turned over for his "crimes" against them.

#21 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33602 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Oh yeah that would not be cool. Bucky's not a crime-fighter, he's a soldier. But it appears that Robinson doesn't plan on making this team's existence public knowledge, so I don't think we'll have to worry about the public learning that he's a alive. A lot of heroes still believe he died in Fear Itself, even Jim Hammond thought he was dead. Robinson may be planning on exploring the idea of other heroes learning that Bucky's still alive or possibly the Russian government learning this and demanding he be turned over for his "crimes" against them.

That would be cool, as long as he sticks to his shadowy ways.

#22 Posted by ImpurestCheese (5183 posts) - - Show Bio

@rheged: Reverse Tanning Parlour. Just psyched to see Super Axis back. And the guy in the fedora looks like Death Stalker. That would be awesome too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.