Follow

James Robinson

Person » James Robinson is credited in 876 issues.

British comic book writer based in San Francisco. Sometimes credited as James Dale Robinson. He is best known for his 90s series: Starman, and as the writer for Earth 2 in the New 52.

ECCC 13: James Robinson Teases EARTH 2 #10

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By johnny_spam

One of the best of DC.

SwampPing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 26

#2  Edited By SwampPing

I bet he would make a kick-ass grandpa.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NathanXplosion

I am loving this book. I can't figure out why Sara hates it so much :)

Avatar image for darklydreamingdeadpool
    DarklyDreamingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one of the best books out there.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Zeeguy91

@NathanXplosion: She doesn't hate it. She's just varied in her reviews of the series. Some get 4/5, while others get 3/5.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AllStarSuperman

this is one of my favorite books

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ForeverMan

With Animal Man and Swamp Thing seemingly intent of fighting the same villain forever, this book has climbed to my #1 fav at DC.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By arnoldoaad

yeah its pretty good but I still think Batman and Animal Man are better

Ghidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Ghidoran

Personally I think Batman and WW are better, but this is still in the top 10.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fantasgasmic

did he say Earth-1/Earth-2 crossover at the end of 2014? That's awesome. I love when things are planned out in advance!

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kal'smahboi

Sweet, I can't wait to see Dr. Fate in action.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JamDamage

tuh tuh tuh today junior

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

I like this book a lot. I'm hoping this new arc makes me care about the heroes more and fleshes them out a little bit more. Can't wait.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blackkitty

Don't know. It's just an alternate earth. I really have a hard time caring about anything that happens as it has no real impact on the main 52.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JamDamage

Already going to cross over with the mainstream DCU??? Why so soon???

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@JamDamage said:

Why at all?! Why does Earth 2 exist at all?!?! DC clearly doesn't care that they've made all of their Golden Age characters, save for Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, completely unrecognizable and screwed them over, and that they've disregarded what Earth 2 is supposed to be which is a vault where all the stories of an OLD universe goes! Yes, Earth 2 is meant to house all of the previous universe stories. That's how it was conceived way back in the Silver Age. Now? It's an embarrassment to the JSA.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By doordoor123

@JamDamage said:

Uhm there is still another year. That is at least 12 more issues. That isn't soon BTW.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wish he would come to Wonder Con so I can tell him how great Earth 2 is so far. Seriously.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@JamDamage said:

Why at all?! Why does Earth 2 exist at all?!?! DC clearly doesn't care that they've made all of their Golden Age characters, save for Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, completely unrecognizable and screwed them over, and that they've disregarded what Earth 2 is supposed to be which is a vault where all the stories of an OLD universe goes! Yes, Earth 2 is meant to house all of the previous universe stories. That's how it was conceived way back in the Silver Age. Now? It's an embarrassment to the JSA.

Dude, since when does being different from how they were before automatically amount to disrespect and "screwing them over"? A different take doesn't mean that they aren't A) being written well or B) are part of a boring story. As long as those two requirements are met, they aren't really being disrespected.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LaserLambert

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@JamDamage said:

finally, I thought I was the only one who even recognized this. I don't care how well written, it's supposed to be the old school, write earth 22 if you want.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By gmanfromheck

@RedheadedAtrocitus: I think he might be for at least one day. I'll ask on the next podcast.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@LaserLambert said:

finally, I thought I was the only one who even recognized this. I don't care how well written, it's supposed to be the old school, write earth 22 if you want.

YES!

DC has basically KILLED off the Justice Society. Yes, killed. They don't exist anymore, not their members, nothing.

The Justice Society of America was the FIRST superhero team in history. It's an important team and is by far my favorite in all of comics. It has history and it truly IS a Society. The Fantastic Four may be Marvel's First Family, but the JSA is DC's.

I just love the Golden Age characters. My grandpa had a lot of comics from the Golden Age and I used to read them and well to me Green Lantern was Alan Scott and Jay Garrick was The Flash. I loved the Justice Society and I absolutely LOVED Geoff Johns' run on JSA.

My problem lies with the fact they seem to go so far out of their way to make them completely unlike their REAL selves. I was excited for this book. I expected changes, but I didn't think they would be this drastic. I actually LIKED the idea of showing the JSA's origins in modern times. So much for that!!!!

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LaserLambert

@Smart_Dork_Dude: yep, i fear for their future, are we ever going to see them again? is Alan Scott going to be a capeless, gay(not that there's anything wrong with being gay) monochrome hero from now on? Is Jay Garrick going to be a young and frankly stupid kid from now on (btw I think this is a generally poorly written series too)

Will we ever see the Red and Purple and Green costume again? will we see the Flash who inspired Barry Allen to be a hero?

These are the things I think about when I read the frankly bad dialogue in this series.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BR_Havoc

@LaserLambert:

Finally some like minded people! I read the first 8 issues of this comic and after every issue I said the same thing hope the next issue is better but no, Its just a bad comic its not written well much of it seems random,Alan Scott is a D-bag that is completely not likable.

He said there will be some big crossover at the end of 2014 honestly I do not see this book lasting that long with the way DC loves to cut everything.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By modunhanul

YES! DOCTOR FATE! FINALLY!

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By charlieboy

So far this book has been excellent in my opinion.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By lifeboy

@Smart_Dork_Dude:

@LaserLambert:

@BR_Havoc:

im going to agree with you all. hi BR_Havoc. i do like the plan to put the Justice Society in Earth 2 away from a crowded mainstream earth and also mr Robinson has been holding down the writing. the addition of hawkgirl is cool. but i dont like that alan and jay went from being in there 60s to being in there 20s. personally i like having my heros in there mid to late 30s and up (with alot of exceptions). also alans gayness kind of killed the character for me. his sexuality never played any part in my mind one way or the other pre new 52 and now seeing him (for lack of better words) gay with that guy, completely changed the character to someone else. lastly i dont like the title as "earth 2". give me the good old JSA. as a matter of fact, i dropped this and picked up JSA liberty files. those guys look like some rough and tough punching people in the face kind of guys! If hear word of "earth 2" making changes to any of those things i will go back though.

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xtremekidx

good to see DC isn't going to have all the events at the same time,with trinity war this year,this new event at the end of 2014,seems like they are moving with great planning.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By johnqestion

@Zeeguy91 said:

@NathanXplosion: She doesn't hate it. She's just varied in her reviews of the series. Some get 4/5, while others get 3/5.

Eh, every one has a bias or prejudice it doesn't make them right.Including reviwers.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can't wait to get the first trade... it's in HARDCOVER!!!! man i'm so happy for that =/... Also, i cant wait for the annual, wondering who the new batman is =D

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Agent_Prince

@Smart_Dork_Dude: DC's 'New' continuity is a mess, but at least this is one of those books that can stand alone and have it's own rules.

NathanXplosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NathanXplosion

@johnqestion said:

@Zeeguy91 said:

Eh, every one has a bias or prejudice it doesn't make them right.Including reviwers.

I was kidding guy's.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Mucklefluga

@NathanXplosion said:

@johnqestion said:

@Zeeguy91 said:

I was kidding guy's.

I guess some people don't get sarcasm ahaa.

MANofSHAZAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MANofSHAZAM

Earth 2 has been great so far, I've been really impressed with James Robinson's work on the title. He's definitely becoming one of my favourite writers in the comic book industry.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @lifeboy said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude:

@LaserLambert:

@BR_Havoc:

im going to agree with you all. hi BR_Havoc. i do like the plan to put the Justice Society in Earth 2 away from a crowded mainstream earth and also mr Robinson has been holding down the writing. the addition of hawkgirl is cool. but i dont like that alan and jay went from being in there 60s to being in there 20s. personally i like having my heros in there mid to late 30s and up (with alot of exceptions). also alans gayness kind of killed the character for me. his sexuality never played any part in my mind one way or the other pre new 52 and now seeing him (for lack of better words) gay with that guy, completely changed the character to someone else. lastly i dont like the title as "earth 2". give me the good old JSA. as a matter of fact, i dropped this and picked up JSA liberty files. those guys look like some rough and tough punching people in the face kind of guys! If hear word of "earth 2" making changes to any of those things i will go back though.

Pretty sure DC axed the "old" superhero thing when they decided to go forward with Earth 2. Now without these members being out of their 20s this story must take place when they first received their powers. So this is the JSA's new 52 origin and not just another comic about fully established old heroes running around. James has explained with great detail over many podcasts why many of the changes happened, why they were necessary and what he's planned for the book.

"personally i like having my heros in there mid to late 30s and up (with alot of exceptions)." 
    Meaning you only want the JSA in their 30s, you want the old JSA and you can't handle something new. We get it you hate that anything that was changed. If you want the old JSA then read all the stories that already exist, the stories didn't just disappear.

" now seeing him (for lack of better words) gay with that guy, completely changed the character to someone else."
    =_= Um yea...for lack of a better word Alan kissed a guy. It happened what like once? That's what killed the character for you? Geez, the boyfriend died already and you can't handle one kiss to establish he had a relationship. I mean it's not like he's throwing his sexuality in your face in this series aside from visiting the boyfriend's grave. 

This is the NEW 52, all the worlds received have changed thus the old JSA is gone.   
    You honestly can't complain about the writing since it's been pretty good so far. Especially compared to many of the books currently out. If you want to complain about a bad book that ruins earth 2 characters go read World's finest =_= That book just continues to butcher the characters and has terrible dialogue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.