Should Jim Gordon know the truth about Batman/Bruce Wayne?

#1 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's arguable to say that Jim Gordon's best friend is Batman. Would it be such a bad thing if he found out who Batman really is? What's the worst that could happen?

#2 Posted by War Killer (20189 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it would be a bad thing, probably make things easier on Bruce to be honest.

#3 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Gordon already knows.

#4 Posted by yumyumbubblegum (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce is probably dying to tell his BFF Gordan, but it would put his family members in danger, more so then they already are.

#5 Edited by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget how awkward it would be for Barbara if he found out. If he finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, they might as well tell him Bab is Batgirl and that wont end well

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

Don't forget how awkward it would be for Barbara if he found out. If he finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, they might as well tell him Bab is Batgirl and that wont end well

Honestly? I think he'd get over Babs

#7 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

Don't forget how awkward it would be for Barbara if he found out. If he finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, they might as well tell him Bab is Batgirl and that wont end well

Honestly? I think he'd get over Babs

I doubt it though Gordon is too over-protective when it comes to Babs. The guy rarely lets Babs near anything police-related so I doubt he would ever allow Babs run around arguably the dangerous place in DCU at nights fighting psychopaths & metahuman criminals

#8 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

NO! Already to many people know about Batman.

Online
#9 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be more interesting if he found out about Barbara first. Then next time he sees Batman he can punch him in the face for letting his daughter do something so dangerous. Then eventually maybe Bruce could reveal himself. Then again during Blackest Night Gordon should have figured it out, Dick and Barbara call each other by name way too often when they're supposed to be incognito.

#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

Don't forget how awkward it would be for Barbara if he found out. If he finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, they might as well tell him Bab is Batgirl and that wont end well

Honestly? I think he'd get over Babs

I doubt it though Gordon is too over-protective when it comes to Babs. The guy rarely lets Babs near anything police-related so I doubt he would ever allow Babs run around arguably the dangerous place in DCU at nights fighting psychopaths & metahuman criminals

But once he realizes all the good she's done as Batgirl, eventually he'd be like "Huh... My daughter kicks some serious ass."

#11 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

Don't forget how awkward it would be for Barbara if he found out. If he finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, they might as well tell him Bab is Batgirl and that wont end well

Honestly? I think he'd get over Babs

I doubt it though Gordon is too over-protective when it comes to Babs. The guy rarely lets Babs near anything police-related so I doubt he would ever allow Babs run around arguably the dangerous place in DCU at nights fighting psychopaths & metahuman criminals

But once he realizes all the good she's done as Batgirl, eventually he'd be like "Huh... My daughter kicks some serious ass."

Yeah but she just got out of the wheel-chair that she was never supposed to be and the joker tormented gordon with sick pics of her. After all the hell the Joker put him and his daughter through theres no way in hell Gordon'd accept it.

#12 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't it been implied that he already figured it out

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@soccersss said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

Don't forget how awkward it would be for Barbara if he found out. If he finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, they might as well tell him Bab is Batgirl and that wont end well

Honestly? I think he'd get over Babs

I doubt it though Gordon is too over-protective when it comes to Babs. The guy rarely lets Babs near anything police-related so I doubt he would ever allow Babs run around arguably the dangerous place in DCU at nights fighting psychopaths & metahuman criminals

But once he realizes all the good she's done as Batgirl, eventually he'd be like "Huh... My daughter kicks some serious ass."

Yeah but she just got out of the wheel-chair that she was never supposed to be and the joker tormented gordon with sick pics of her. After all the hell the Joker put him and his daughter through theres no way in hell Gordon'd accept it.

So say Gordon doesn't except it then. What would his relationship to Batman be? Would he hunt him down or what?

#14 Posted by danhimself (22537 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that to many people underestimate just how good of a cop Gordan is....that's one of the reasons that Batman works with him....it's really inconceivable to believe that they've been working together for over 5 years now in the DCnU and Gordan hasn't figured out who Batman is

#15 Posted by soccersss (537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@soccersss said:

Don't forget how awkward it would be for Barbara if he found out. If he finds out Bruce Wayne is Batman, they might as well tell him Bab is Batgirl and that wont end well

Honestly? I think he'd get over Babs

I doubt it though Gordon is too over-protective when it comes to Babs. The guy rarely lets Babs near anything police-related so I doubt he would ever allow Babs run around arguably the dangerous place in DCU at nights fighting psychopaths & metahuman criminals

But once he realizes all the good she's done as Batgirl, eventually he'd be like "Huh... My daughter kicks some serious ass."

Yeah but she just got out of the wheel-chair that she was never supposed to be and the joker tormented gordon with sick pics of her. After all the hell the Joker put him and his daughter through theres no way in hell Gordon'd accept it.

So say Gordon doesn't except it then. What would his relationship to Batman be? Would he hunt him down or what?

Remember the ep in Batman Tas Gordon hunts down the Batfamily after Babs "died." Well if anything should happen to Babs that could happen but I dont think Gordon would go after Wayne unless Babs got seriously hurt

#16 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Jim had already figured out Bruce was Batman, but he just chose to pretend he was still ignorant of the fact.

#17 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: That's what I believe. He knows and I can't remember in which comic book, Batman implied that Gordon figured out who's Batman, as Perry figured out who's Superman. I think Gordon knows.

#18 Edited by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe it's been implied he knows,but by admitting it then he's forced by his duty to arrest Batman or such.I mean he showed(pre-DcnU) that he was able to figured out Barbara had previously been Batgirl he's more then capable of the same for Bruce.

@Phaedrusgr: He implies that in Hush.

#19 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he already knows but just acts like he doesn't, but on the same note I think with the reboot DC should erase a lot of character's knowledge of his identity.

#20 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
He already knows, and Batman knows he knows. DCnU is a different story.
Moderator
#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
He already knows, and Batman knows he knows. DCnU is a different story.
A bad one ;P
#22 Posted by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of those things that hasn't ever been said outright, so writers can go either way with it. I read many Batman stories where it is implied that Gordon knows and I have read a lot of Batman stories where Gordon appears clueless.

I personally prefer the stories that imply he knows.

#23 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't

#24 Posted by PatriotPerson (134 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he already knew...

#25 Posted by ComicStooge (12766 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't want to know. Bruce took his mask off right in front of him and Gordon looked away.

#26 Posted by Knightfall225 (1989 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Gordon already knows who he is. It the fact that he pretends not to that makes their relationship even more interesting

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.