One of the best?

#1 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else feel that Jae Lee is one of the best artists in comics right now?

After reading Gunslinger Born (which is eye-candy at it's finest) and continuing it with Long Road Home, I'm at a loss to describe many people who can compete with him in sheer quality of art. His style is very unique, with a "realistic" look to it that can still work in a comic (surpassing Alex Ross in that regard, IMO).

Thoughts on his artistic abilities? Yay? Nay?

#2 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't believe no one else has written  comment on this forum.  I have been a Jae Lee fan from his work on X-Factor during the X-cutioner cross over.  He drew an insane Arch-Angel and then a fight scene bettween Cable, and Wolverine and Bishop that was great, and also about 15 years ago.  I followed him on his Image comic that he created and never went beyond 3 issues called Hellshock.  If you want something good by him go pick the Inhumans trade.  It's about 12 issues in one book and it's loooong, but it's great.
#3 Posted by Watch Dog (834 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly like his older stuff like what he did on Namor and X-Factor but if you like his new stuff he did a mini with Hulk and Thing that was good.

#4 Posted by Leliel (1452 posts) - - Show Bio
@Watch Dog: I do enjoy his older stuff but I can get behind is new art too
#5 Posted by Watch Dog (834 posts) - - Show Bio
@Leliel: did you read his Namor stuff the first two arks were good and the third kinda trailed off but that's not his fault.
#6 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19663 posts) - - Show Bio

His artwork is inspiring!

#7 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel so sad for comics that only have his art on the cover... it makes the internal art look so inferior!

#8 Posted by allwalledup (36 posts) - - Show Bio

i LOVE his art. i think hes my fav artist right now.
#9 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

When I saw his Batman, I was shocked with amazement

#10 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
Deadpool Pulp #4
I always loved his work on the Inhumans.  It really pushed him from being an edgy & experimental artist on X-Factor to a formidable & yet delicate artist capable of conveying so much emotion. 

His work on the recent Wolverine & Deadpool Pulp covers have continued to blow me away.
#11 Posted by IrishX (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm am just fascinated by Jae Lee's art. Here's a new example of some beautiful work.....

and here's one from the Hellshock series he did in the 90's....

Yeah this guy can draw.....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.