Follow

Jackie Estacado

Character » Jackie Estacado appears in 472 issues.

Ex-Mafia hitman, Ex-Don of his own crime family and Ex-Dictator of a country; Jackie Estacado is the current wielder of the Darkness, an ancient force belonging to the triad of power encompassing the Darkness, the Witchblade, and the Angelus.

The Darkness Movie Has An Actor & Producer

Brian Warmoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Brian Warmoth

No Caption Provided

The Darkness' spin-off character Magdalena could make it to theaters before the Top Cow series' title anti-hero does, but the company has some talent and Hollywood-based backing helping their character out behind the scenes. Right now that help consists of at least one unnamed actor, more than one writer, and a producer who currently has Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The Wolfman on his plate.

"The Darkness is one of those projects that just seems to go on forever and ever, but we have a great new producing partner called Scott Stuber," Top Cow President and COO Matt Hawkins told ComicBookMovie.com. "He has an office over on the Universal lot, and he's been on a number of great films."

Having Stuber on their side doesn't mean the movie is close to being a done deal, but Top Cow does have the benefit of an Xbox 360 title with "Platinum Hits" distinction on its cover, thanks to its sales. That label shouldn't be confused with their other partners at Platinum Studios.

"With Stuber and Platinum we developed sort of a take with some writers," Hawkins explained. "It's not set up yet officially at a studio. Even though he's on the Universal lot, he doesn't have an automatic deal there, so we'll have to take and pitch the thing at some point."

Hawkins hopes to see a studio pick up their pitch within the next "two or three months," though he stopped short of revealing who the actor is that they've recruited to be attached to the project.

"We have an actor attached that hasn't been formally announced," he said.

There was a rumor last year that G.I. Joe actor Channing Tatum might be that actor, thanks to Bloody Disgusting, but un-produced projects can be a slippery game of musical chairs half-rumors before they're in production, let alone at a studio. Tatum wouldn't be my first pick to star as Jackie Estacado. I'd rather see a young Benicio Del Toro or perhaps Michael Imperioli from The Sopranos.

Who would you like to see take the lead role in The Darkness? Would Channing Tatum be able to pull it off? Sound off with your own picks for characters and directors below. Until the film becomes official, you never know, someone may just see your suggestion and be inspired.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

I think if a big enough studio takes this, a Darkness movie could be great.  It should definitely have a darker tone, no pun intended.  I don't know if they could do it with an R-rating (since those movies in this genre don't do as well).  The real trick will be the special effects.  Making it look cool and not too fake.

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Adam Michaels

If it's done and marketed right, I'm sure an R-rating won't change a thing. Sure, "Punisher: War Zone" flopped, but I don't blame the rating one bit. But, you look at something like the Blade trilogy, which was R-rated, and it did amazing numbers. So, it really comes down to one thing: will the movie look good enough to bring in people.  

I'm no psychic, but I believe "The Darkness" is read more by older readers. So naturally, the older audience would be attracted to this film. So, an R-rating shouldn't do it any harm, in my humbled opinion.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I have a friend who absolutely loves The Darkness series. I'm going to have to direct her to this.

Sometimes I wonder if they should really just scrap the idea of making so many live action movies based on comics. Instead try and make more computer generated ones. Computer graphics are really amazing now. The Star Wars: Clone Wars TV series is computer generated and still manages a very cool looking style.
    You wouldn't have to worry about actors not looking right. All you would need is the right voice work. I also think you could get away with a bit more then you can in live action.

No Caption Provided
    I think a computer generated Spider-man movie could be cool. They could make it really appear 3D, but possibly use the art style from the Spectacular Spider-man TV series.
    ArachKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ArachKnight

Singing- " Touching yooou - Touching Meee - I belive in a thing called love....just listen to the rythem of my heart..."
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bruce Vain

Channing Tatum WTF ? Yea um let's hope that's just a rumor.  

Well an R-rating should be the direction this movie should head in. For those who have read the comics and played the game knows what I mean. The Darkness should have almost the same tone as the movies The Crow (Alex Proyas) & Blade (Stephen Norrington) . 

Someone of Del Toro's style and charisma would be  the type of actor I would want to see to play my boy Jackie. Kirk Acevedo (OZ , Band of Brothers, Fringe) who did the voice of Jackie for the game could pull off a live version of  Jackie. Just have him grow out his hair & he could do it.  Being a New Yorker ,you need a REAL New Yorker like Kirk to play Jackie. Not a guy (Tatum) from Alabama pretending to be a New Yorker. I think it would also be a smart move to use Mike Patton (Faith No More) once again for the voice of the Darkness. 

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adam Michaels
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    "I have a friend who absolutely loves The Darkness series. I'm going to have to direct her to this.

Sometimes I wonder if they should really just scrap the idea of making so many live action movies based on comics. Instead try and make more computer generated ones. Computer graphics are really amazing now. The Star Wars: Clone Wars TV series is computer generated and still manages a very cool looking style.
    You wouldn't have to worry about actors not looking right. All you would need is the right voice work. I also think you could get away with a bit more then you can in live action.

I think a computer generated Spider-man movie could be cool. They could make it really appear 3D, but possibly use the art style from the Spectacular Spider-man TV series. "

I'm with you 10000%... I always believed this, even with all the success the live-action films have. The possibilities are endless and I look at the Star Wars: Clone Wars TV series and just wonder how great it would be for Marvel or DC to incorporate that serious toned animation series with their amazing stories and characters.  

I think some characters would translate much better in the 3D animated world than they would in live-action. Especially the ones that have big monsters and underground creatures in their stories. 

It also leaves room to use any character anywhere. Whereas in live-action, if you want to keep with continuity, you gotta get the actor himself to do all the recurring parts.
    MelCaylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MelCaylo

I'm partially with @Bruce Vain. Kirk Acevedo would be an awesome actor for Jackie, but I have trouble picturing him pulling off the "look" for Jackie.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8  Edited By jakob187
    @Bruce Vain: I agree that Mike Patton is the ONLY choice for The Darkness.  He did such a great job in the game.  Genuinely great performance. 

As for Jackie...man, I don't think I'd like anyone they put in the role, just because I don't know if anyone could bring a genuine feel to him.  I do know that Channing Tatum is FAR from my first choice.
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Dark Cell

they HAVE to use Mike Patton as the voice of the Darkness, coolest voice since Darth vader!
    JackieEstacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JackieEstacado

CHANNING TATUM? THAT'S AWESOME!!!! WAHOO! CHANNING ESTACADO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bruce Vain

@jakob187:
    What's great is that they didn't use any special effect on Mike's voice. That was all him. I've always been a fan of his work growing up. Loved the song they did for the game with his band Tomahawk - Captain Midnight.

I love the work that was put into this game. Even liked the videos they had on the tv's during the game play. Or how you could watch to Kill a Mockingbird ( my personal favorite)while sitting with Jackie's girlfriend. So I watched the entire movie lol. 

Yea Kirk is really the only guy I could think of that could possibly come close to playing Jackie. It would have to be an actor with Banderas similar look in Desperado, but have Del Toro's style, but would also have to be a fit guy close to like Brandon Lee.

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By Bergquist

was the game any good for $10
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3
    @G-Man said:

"I think if a big enough studio takes this, a Darkness movie could be great.  It should definitely have a darker tone, no pun intended.  I don't know if they could do it with an R-rating (since those movies in this genre don't do as well).  The real trick will be the special effects.  Making it look cool and not too fake. "

In the case, lets hope Warner Brothers or Lionsgate make this movie.
    Gank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gank

No offense to Channing Tatum - but he is totally wrong for the part. I would sooner see Carol Channing as Jackie Estacado than him.

frogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frogger
    @Bruce Vain: 

Kirk Aceved o would be great! Channing doesn't have tall, dark, shady, and grimy look needed to play Jakie, he's just a name.
    Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ferro Vida

This is very interesting news indeed.

First off, I hope that Lionsgate picks up the project. They tend to do a great job with films of this tone, and they will have the money necessary to cover the special effects that would be needed for this to be a  big success (lets face it, a lot of people will decide to go see this based on what the Darklings look like).

I did a bit of looking around, and so far the three actors who I think would be able to pull off Jackie with a good degree of accuracy are Eric Etebari, Vincent Perez, and Stuart Townsend, in that order. Channing Tatum could probably do a decent job of the look with a bit of work based on that picture on BD Horror News, but he just isn't right for the role. If they went with him it would be because he is a rising star who would attract attention, in my opinion. 

Etebari is definitely closest of my three picks appearance-wise. I mean, everyone seems to have trouble telling Ian Nottingham and Jackie apart, so why not confuse them even more by using the same actor? But really, the fact that he has already played a Top-Cow character is the big drawback for me. That, and I haven't seen enough of his acting to make a truly informed opinion.

Normally Perez looks nothing like Estacado. His short hair and generally happy features might make him seem a bit to cheerful, but he knows how to portray a lot of different emotions and I'm pretty sure that given the chance he could prove to make a good Jackie. 

Honestly? It might just be best if they go with an actor who is younger and unknown. In fact, it probably would be.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AngelFrost

I've always seen Steven Strait in the role. :/ Channing is great, but not 'The Darkness'.

No Caption Provided
    Lydian Sel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lydian Sel
    @Dark Cell said:

" they HAVE to use Mike Patton as the voice of the Darkness, coolest voice since Darth vader! "

Hot Damn that would be fantastic to see. Even though my faith in comic book movie titles is more than shakey I'd still be immensely impressed to actually see this title make it to a cinema, the 360 game was fantastic & I'd especially enjoy seeing Mike Patton make a return in either a role in the film's music production or sound effects.

As for an actor to play Jackie, Michael Imperioli I really don't think is a fit, Benicio Del Toro would be fantastic but he's a bit too old these days .
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By drawme

Anything Top Cow is producing last way too long. Think about the Witchblade movie...I´m happy when The Darkness comes to the theaters but in my opinion they should try to work more efficiently.

ginrai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ginrai

@drawme: honestly top cow isn't the type of publisher that  let their comic be adapted to film without their engament to it as publisher. 
    the interview with matt hawkings on comicvine should have give you that kind of insight.

the fat that benicio del toro might be too old for the role is pretty much true,yet i can't comment on the other actors(for one reason i've never saw the supranos).
    i could see that mike patton would pick up on doing the voice of the darkness again for the film,yet for jackie i would think that if they would hire a more famous actor for the film,then in my opinion eli roth would be a good choice(although he need to grow his hair for the charachter) and his acting is pretty good. 
    for the role of sonatine i would always thought that faran tahir should play him.the angelus will probably be entirely CGI generated so the voice of her is less important imo.
    also that they are producing the darkness now is a good thing more and more mature comics are being produced from  several vertigo series to avatar press's gravel,so the darkness should ressonate with the fanbase of the movies!

although  i do hope  that the studio decides to follow the comics,and not the game!
    my only problem with the game was the fact that they decided to cut the entire role of sonatine&that you felt as a player that you were wearing the darkness armor(seriously,how could they let that out)

1eyejoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By 1eyejoker

Seriously, dream director for this: David Cronenberg. He could handle the gore and dark humor effortlessly, plus he would cast actual actors in the roles rather than just movie stars. And I hope the movie is closer to the first issues Garth Ennis wrote than the game which was more going for the tone Paul Jenkins had during the 2nd volume.
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By skaarason

it would be great if they followed the first vol. of comics and not the game !!!!!

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DH69

for this movie i'd go with lions gate or legendary for a studio

Avatar image for omega_the_supreme_being_
    Omega The Supreme Being

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tatum channing really wow

dioramademon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dioramademon

I have been a massive fan of Darkness for years and I have only ever thought that Johnny Depp could do the character justice. He looks like Jackie should and his performance in Donnie Brasco is spot on I think to what Jackie should be. I think it would look like the spawn film if they use his 'costume' so they'll probably do the same as the game.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Brian Warmoth said:
    "

The Darkness' spin-off character Magdalena could make it to theaters before the Top Cow series' title anti-hero does, but the company has some talent and Hollywood-based backing helping their character out behind the scenes. Right now that help consists of at least one unnamed actor, more than one writer, and a producer who currently has Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and The Wolfman on his plate.

Wait... wait rewind here. There's going to be a Witchblade movie, a possible Magdalena movie and a possible Darkness movie

I was excited just hearing about a Witchblade movie in the works. If they make all three and do it right mind you, it would blow me away (Somehow my gut tells me they will likely fail at their attempt at a witchblade movie like they utterly failed at the Wanted movie)
    JeremyChason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JeremyChason

to bad Brandon Lee wasnt still alive perfect perfect role for him

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By EdwardWindsor

i would of liked Benicio del toro if he was younger for the role, kind of struggling to think of someone who would do the role as well as him and look the part to be honest.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By Nerx

It would be neat if they put Jenny by click 5 on the OST

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By ReverseNegative

It'd be awesome.

dakotam0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dakotam0813

I was just watching Hostage the other day and thought to myself "Man.. Ben Foster would make an awesome Jackie". In Hostage he almost looked exactly like Jackie.

No Caption Provided

Anyone else think the same?
    DGCrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DGCrow

Hey Everyone!

My name is Dan Crowley. I am an actor from Boston, moving to LA this January. And my dream role is Jackie Estacado. I am an "unknown" name but am ready to take on this role. If anyone has any info on how to contact the producer. Please let me know. Thank you

-Dan

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.