aztek_the_lost's Jack of Fables #47 - Dragonslayer! The Second Ingredient in the Ultimate Jack of Fables Story! review

Ultimate Jack of Fables Story?

Yeah, at this point this is certainly not what I would call the ultimate Jack of Fables story, but like the mother comic who spent fifty months in labor birthing this baby (!) this comic also appears to be building up to something. Not a #100 mind you but the next best thing, a #50. I used to be the most devout Jack of Fables fan, the series was very different from Fables but in a good way, I mean Jack Horner is the worst role model ever and by extension f@#king hilarious! Plus his occasional successes when it came to getting laid gave me hope that I too could one day bed a trio of busty librarian sisters (only I wouldn't want the part where we all learn they're actually my half-sisters...)

Yes that's right, Jack slept with his half-sisters...that's the epitome of what this title used to represent...but now, now we have some Jack Frost guy preaching the ideal true heroism. Pfft, I say, I want my horny Jack back! Anyways, if you don't know already, the reason Jack is no longer the protagonist is he's a a dragon and well...his son has just been hired to slay him. So that could definitely be interesting but without the regular humor I just don't feel as attached to the story.

On the bright side though, some old characters from the series are being reincorporated (including a forgotten couple from Jack of Hearts, the Fables left at the restaurant in Great Fables Crossover and the busty-as-ever aforementioned librarian sisters). Oh yeah and we find out who the father of the baby being toted around is, the truth was rather disappointing.

All I have to say is this issue was nothing special but I still pray to the comic gods (especially after seeing the cover of next issue) that #50 will revitalize this title. I like Fables and I have no problem if it and its spin-off Jack of Fables last for many more years...but if they do I want them to remember what made them awesome in the first place.

Also I think this book is co-written as a safety net because I love the solo books from each of these writers so I can't blame either one for the failings of this book. Dirty tactic, I like it.