Follow

Jack Kirby

Person » Jack Kirby is credited in 3373 issues.

One of the medium's most prolific artistic legends, Jack Kirby, "The King of Comics," was an artist, writer, and editor whose work spanned the Golden, Silver, Bronze and Modern ages of comics. Kirby created and co-created a multitude of Marvel and DC's most popular characters and many others, too. Kirby was one of the most respected artists of his time (though he didn't have personal knowledge of that, until later on), and remains so today.

New Jack Kirby Superheroes Coming To The Movies?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

You get your pistol out, too, if you knew a big guy in a speedo was lurking behind you.
     You get your pistol out, too, if you knew a big guy in a speedo was lurking behind you.

Jack “The King" Kirby was such a factory of ideas... Hollywood’s actually developing a whole host of his unfinished concepts nearly two decades after the man’s death. Seriously, not just one idea... a HOST.  According to the New York Times, there are around 600 unused artboards from his days at the Ruby Spears cartoon company that are currently causing a stir as being potential new media properties. The proposed shows have names like the Gargoids, the Bad Guys, Roxie’s Raiders and Golden Shield, and if you look at the pictures below, you’ll know that they’re all in the King’s signature style.

Kirby’s always something of an enigma, in my eyes - - a man whose life was almost as unbelievable as his creations. Now, he didn’t moonlight as an escape artist, like Jim Steranko did, but he did have a nigh-superhuman workflow and an expansive imagination that seemed to almost run totally counter to his upbringing. In the regard to the former, the man cranked out something four or five pages a day, which is an almost-inconceivable rate for artists, today. In regard to the latter, his work ethic was very much in character for a “working stiff” who'd grown up in the rough patches of the Bronx; though that background, in turn, was almost totally out of character for a man who created such far-out and bizarre cosmologies! Seriously, I’ve seen interviews with Kirby and he sounds like a gruff old man you’d see in your grandpa’s barbershop, not the guy who came up with KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH. It seemed to me like he was the corporeal conduit for some extradimensional entity.

The guy just dropped amazing ideas, left and right. I’ll never get over the fact that NEW GODS and the whole FOURTH WORLD line from the 70s was considered a failure at the time. It was actually canceled. And now, not only have Darkseid New Genesis, the Mother Boxes, Mr. Miracle, the Boom Tubes, et al, endured… they’re significant pillars of the DCU’s entire cosmology.  Like I said, the guy’s imagination was unbelievable. 
    == TEASER ==

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AtPhantom

Completely agreed on every point. Kirby was the King.

The_Warlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By The_Warlord

LOL ''The Bad Guys''

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By leokearon

Some interesting ideas.
    grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By grimreaper1980

dude, they should appear on smallville before they appear in the movies, or else they won't have anybody good left to put on the show

BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BaronVonDredd

I thought he was dead!!!
    BKole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By BKole

He is, but Kirby was actually incredible. I don't think there's anyone that anywhere remotely compares to him, and so they shouldn't.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warlock360

Dragon(flyz)SPIES MAXIMIZE!

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8  Edited By GraveSp

I would watch something called the Bad Guy

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

the Three the leap out at me the most are "The Bad Guys", "The Golden Shield", and the ones with the super toys attacking mummy hands.
    Can't wait to see what happens.

No Caption Provided
    Kirby is so awesome that I can't understand why most of his ideas haven't been tapped by Hollywood. 
    Kirby's Silver Star was written to be a movie, he later revised it into a comic, but it would work better now than back then.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10  Edited By Decept-O

While some may mock some of the names and simplicity of Kirby's creations, names and ideas, it is that very simplicity which has enabled his creations to endure.   When I say simplicity I don't mean it in any derogatory fashion; quite the contrary.  His art style is difficult to emulate although there are a few artists who do manage that style.   Speaking of which, it is Kirby's STYLE which is so recognizable and influential in comics today.   
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By devilmanex

WOW

whirlwind6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By whirlwind6

I've never really been big on comic book artist....  I'm not focusing on the pictures.   I also think ol' Kirby is over rated.  Stan Lee  was the brains in that operation...

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

@whirlwind6:
    Without the artists, Stan would just have a pile of notes in his attic :)  (Stan IS the Man)

They complemented eachother. 

I love the toys attacking the hands as well, and the Bad Guys looks like it will be a fun ride in whatever format it comes in. 

The "King" truely still lives on :)
    daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By daveydavey

Kamandi is Awesome.
    Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Marshal Victory

Wow ! Some of those look realy cool an campy just enuff :) 
    But um without good art the stroies do fall flat at times.Some times word an image makes the comic.Some times just good art carries a meh story.Rare is the storie that makes the illustrations secondary.Comics is ment to be grafic story telling. 

Kirby style made comics as a stroy come alive.Him an many of the old school illustrators made the foundation of many a comic universe.Not knocking the writes of the golden age who wrote some great stories while being hindered by a comic code. 

True the pen is mighter than the sword.But a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Thor'sHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Thor'sHammer
    @whirlwind6: You only think you love Stan Lee.  The truth is that you've loved Kirby all along...

http://kirbymuseum.org/

Stan THE Man would pump out the outlines and his artists would flesh out the dialogue and often change the scripts.  
    Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

@ArtisticNeedham said:

" the Three the leap out at me the most are "The Bad Guys", "The Golden Shield", and the ones with the super toys attacking mummy hands.
    Can't wait to see what happens.

No Caption Provided
    Kirby is so awesome that I can't understand why most of his ideas haven't been tapped by Hollywood.  Kirby's Silver Star was written to be a movie, he later revised it into a comic, but it would work better now than back then. "
    Besides Silver Star....I really, REALLY HOPE THAT Characters from the Galactic Bounty Hunters AND the Kirbyverse will be explored into the silver screen (Captain Victory, Captain Glory, Bombast, Night Glider, Satan's Six, TeenAgents......).
    Kirbyverse
    Kirbyverse
    Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@AtPhantom said:
    " Completely agreed on every point. Kirby was the King. "
    yup and these new concepts are amazing.  
    and im surprised that he pinchuk didnt mention all the stuff kirby did for marvel as well as dc. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.