Jack Kevorkian (Doctor Death) dies

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By sexy_merc
    Jack Kevorkian has died, but the cause he long championed - physician-assisted suicide - lives on.

The ghoulish-but-folksy physician died Friday not by his own hand but at a hospital in Royal Oak, Mich., where he was being treated for pneumonia and kidney problems. He was 83.

Kevorkian, nicknamed "Dr. Death," became an outspoken and often controversial proponent of patients' right to take their own lives, gaining international notoriety in a 1998 60 Minutes interview, which showcased one of the suicides in which he participated.

"Somebody has to do something for suffering humanity," Kevorkian explained. "I put myself in my patients' place. This is something I would want."

Among the patients whose suicide was Kevorkian facilitated was Janet Adkins, a 54-year-old Portland, Ore. woman who died in 1990 after Kevorkin hooked her up to a "suicide machine" he had built using parts scavenged from flea markets. Altogether, Kevorkian helped end the lives of 130 people with ailments ranging from multiple sclerosis and cancer to Lou Gehrig's disease.

One of Kevorkian's dreams was to establish "obitoriums," places where people could go to end their lives. He didn't live to see that happen, but physician-assisted suicide is edging closer to the medical mainstream.

Washington, Oregon, and Montana now allow physician-assisted suicide. In addition, several professional organizations now endorse an approach to end-of-life care known as "aid-in dying," according to Barbara Coombs Lee, president of Compassion & Choices, a nonprofit advocacy group. The American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and the American Medical Women's Association released position statements in favor of the practice. The basic idea of aid-in-dying, Lee told CBS News, was for doctors to give patients a choice while in palliative care or hospice - that if they suffer despite trying other end-of-life therapies, they could end their lives.

But not everyone agrees with Lee, that doctors should be serving up life-ending medication for their suicide-minded patients.

Stephen Drake, a research analyst for a disability advocacy group called Not Dead Yet, said physician-assisted suicide often ends up taking the lives not of terminally ill patients, but of people who had better options.

"Suicide-prevention people have written off the old, ill, and disabled," he told CBS News.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20068746-10391704.html

So what are your views on his death, do you agree with his views, consider them understandable, or disagree with them?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By King_Saturn
    hmmm... so Doctor Death has died... Interesting News 
    as far as agreeing with his views... in some ways I can... if people are in agony and want to leave this world... let them go in peace and wish them Godspeed... no reason to let someone suffer their last years of life if they truly want to just go in peace... 
    xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By xkoenig

Wow. What a topic for a comics website! Ok, I'll bite. This is an incredibly difficult topic to think about. Every day, doctors and nurses make decisions about ending peoples lives. If someone gives them a 'DNR' order, then they will let them die if things go badly, but at the other end, if you ask for it, they will try everything they possibly can to prolong your life. If someone's in a coma, at what point do we declare them dead and switch off the machine? Is it up to us? Sometimes they wake up too. 
    What about people who are in agony because of their terminal illnesses? Should they be given a dignified death? What a huge question. Is it better to suffer through and die when God says so, or to go to God early and peacefully?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mercy_

I think that if somebody had been judged to be in the correct state of mind and are suffering from a chronic or terminal illness, they should have the choice to take their life.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    I think that if somebody had been judged to be in the correct state of mind and are suffering from a chronic or terminal illness, they should have the choice to take their life.
    Pretty much this.
    xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By xkoenig

I mean, this is what that whole stupid 'death panels' thing was actually about. People should absolutely have end of life discussions with their doctor when they are calm and rational to decide what is appropriate when they are near death or in a code in the hospital. Now as far as actively injecting someone to kill them early if they're in pain, I just don't know. They do it in the Netherlands I think, but I'm not sure how it fits into the law there and how it is regulated.

Salubri_Cain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Salubri_Cain

I am all for choice... However I feel that the man was just living out some strong homicidal urges... When I looked into his eyes I saw a monster. He got off on killing folks IMO. He was just using the weak as a scapecoat to get his fix.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.