Follow

Jack Horner

Character » Jack Horner appears in 152 issues.

Jack Horner is a character from Fables and Jack of Fables. Currently he is in the form of a dragon, it's unknown what's in store for him...

Jack is--

Walking Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Walking Man

You know about the trickster character in literature? Most quickly recognized

are probably the Coyote of Amerindian lore, and the Monkey King of Asian tales,

and perhaps Anansi the Spider, from African folklore.

Now we've Jack. He's every Jack (or John) of every fairy tale: he climbed the

beanstalk, he's been nimble, he's been quick--Jack's jumped over the

candlestick...he and Jill climbed up the hill... and so on.

His supporting cast includes the (ahem) Pathetic Fallacy (a literary term,

here-to-fore) who gets inanimate objects to do his bidding; a "hot librarian";

and the villain, Revise, who, well, seeks to 1., eliminate Jack, and 2., retcon

all myth and fairytale.

Where Fables, from whence sprang Jack, deals more largely with fable creatures

at large, and their internal war for homeland, Jack of Fables sets Jack, one

fable at large, in the (ahem, again) Real World.

It's smart, it's smarmy (sometimes), it's loverly drawn: the adventures of a

lovably bad guy.

Try two or three issues in a row.

Matt

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

I agree. Fables was one of the greatest discovers I made last summer. I devoured all the trades. I do have the first trade of Jack and the issues since but I have to admit I haven't read them all yet. I just need more time to catch up. It is great stuff. I feel it's a shame that more people here don't talk about Jack or Fables.

MichonneHack27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MichonneHack27

Jack's a huge pain in the ass. But he does have SOME good qualities. The likable jerk. I mostly bought the series once Babe got funnyXD. I just love her or is Babe a him?oO

MyraMyraMyra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MyraMyraMyra

I just got into Fables, and I actually liked the Jack of Fables-spinoff better than Fables itself just because I loved Jack so much. Like Fables, Jack's series was a hit-and-miss for me as far as plot material was concerned, but Jack himself is such a fun character that I could easily ignore all of the flaws of the series. There's just something utterly lovable about his naive arrogance and complete lack of self-criticism. I just love trickster characters like him.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

^ This is easily one of my favourite Jack moments. I also loved him in the Fables/JoF-crossover, where he's just being a total tactless jerk for no apparent reason while Rose Red is crushed with grief and depression and everyone else is busy with trying to stop the end of the world. He was just so hilariously selfish in that story arc :´-D

I hope Jack returns to comics someday.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.