Hawksmoor Mini

• 57 results
#1 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Jack Hawksmoor – one of my favorite characters – is getting a mini series!

THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: JACK HAWKSMOOR

” A new 6-issue miniseries shedding light on the mysterious Authority member, featuring art by Koi Turnbull (HEROES VOL. 1 HC, SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL) and covers by Cully Hamner (BLUE BEETLE)! Before he was recruited into StormWatch, Jack Hawksmoor was a solitary urban hero, misanthropic and alone. While preventing a massive robot attack on the Golden Gate Bridge, Hawksmoor gets unexpected assistance from a woman he has more in common with than he realizes, then later stumbles upon a locked-room murder mystery. On top of all this, his city-born powers have been acting up — and he has a gumshoe's suspicion that all this may be connected. “

On Sale March 26, 2008

#2 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

I might check that out actually.

#3 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#4 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

PShaw. One of your favorite characters? He is one of myyyyy favorite characers, Bucky!

On the real though good looking . It was only a matter of time before he got his own being one of the most original characters in the last decade. Hope the writer is up to snuff. It seems instead of mindbending metaphysics this will be a noir detective type story, Hopefully brandishing a healthy helping of imagination rending superscience, and I wish Cully was doing more than covers, but am excited regardless.

#5 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

I was gonna agree with everything you said but I figure you've had enough of me stealing your thoughts so instead I'll say that I'm interested to see more of his detective side (that part of him has only been used two or three times) and his early days on his own.

#6 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio
"There's a man lying dead in his San Francisco house, a mysterious woman with a tragic story, and Jack's powers are on the fritz. When Jack goes looking for answers, things get explosive!"

"Jack confronts the man responsible for last issue's horrific attack and finds a link to his own past. And there's something buried in the dead man's house that was specifically put there to throw Jack off the scent. But who put it there?"

#7 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

From Newsarama's WonderCon '08 Wildstorm Panel coverage:

"Peterson spoke of other upcoming Wildstorm titles, most of which have been previously announced and/or solicited: Authority Prime, The Midnighter, Gen 13 and The Secret History of the Authority: Hawksmoor, wherein, “Jack Hawksmoor, the king of cities, finds out that San Francisco is trying to kill him, and has to find out why,” Peterson said."
#8 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this...

M

#9 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Preview

I think this could be good!

#10 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

For people that can't convert PDF's as easily as i can...

I can quite happily say i'm looking forward to reading this, even though i completely despise that style of artwork...

I'd much rather have Brian Hitch, Paul Neary and Laura Depuy working on it...

M

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

I've recently found myself enjoying weird/non-traditional styles of art in comics so this doesn't bother me at all. I actually like it. I also like how the Authority's being treated. I know the team is not the focus, but it's good seeing them working together as a unit, and also dealing with a threat that they have to be seriously dumbed down to face without it being a curbstomp. (And even when they do inhibit Jenny, it's not total crap.) I'm liking everything to do with Jack and his city problem.

#12 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Street better.

#13 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that racist of me?

#14 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuz he was black?

#15 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, i like the writing, but the artwork just doesn't fit for me...

M

#16 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Is that racist of me?"

I don't know but really, I don't care.

#17 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not that I don't care who you like more. I don't care if why you like him is based on race or not. Racism in the selection of favorite comic characters isn't a big concern of mine.

#18 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

Ouch

#19 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Back on track people!

#20 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"It's not that I don't care who you like more. I don't care if why you like him is based on race or not. Racism in the selection of favorite comic characters isn't a big concern of mine."

M

#21 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

No way.

#22 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"No way."

what? lol

M

#23 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"Back on track people!"

Sorry, but yeah, i'm looking forward to this series...

Jack is a very underused character and i hope this series gives some more limelight to The Authority so it gets picked up into a major series again

M

#24 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Buckshot says:
"It's not that I don't care who you like more. I don't care if why you like him is based on race or not. Racism in the selection of favorite comic characters isn't a big concern of mine."
M"

good idea bad name.

#25 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks great.

#26 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

I know. I can't wait.

#27 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio
"THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: JACK HAWKSMOOR #4 - There's a maniac from the 70th century piloting a giant robot from another universe, and Jack has been cut off from his powers. This is gonna be ugly. Plus, a dark secret finally answers the question: Whatever happened to Jack's family? "

#28 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

information about Jack's past and family?

hell, i think i need something to mop up the drool lol

M

#29 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so excited, first one comes out in just a couple weeks.

#30 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't wait, that is going to seriously kick ass

M

#31 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

My waiting finally came to an end and I was not let down. There was a lot of good stuff in issue 1. Aside from what was in the preview (which was really just a frame for the story) we got Jack fighting a giant robot like heroes are supposed to, we got plenty of him using his powers, we got a reference to the Jenny's Secret History (Sliding Albion-looking alien), we got the noir/detective feel Jack has shown at times and overall just a good intro for a story about Hawksmoor's past. I'm so happy.

#32 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i loved it...

really intrigued about the woman's role in Jack's future :D

M

#33 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

"My waiting finally came to an end and I was not let down. There was a lot of good stuff in issue 1. Aside from what was in the preview (which was really just a frame for the story) we got Jack fighting a giant robot like heroes are supposed to, we got plenty of him using his powers, we got a reference to the Jenny's Secret History (Sliding Albion-looking alien), we got the noir/detective feel Jack has shown at times and overall just a good intro for a story about Hawksmoor's past. I'm so happy."

if it comes to my local comic store ill pick it up

#34 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Renegade Lantern (7285 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it. Im looking forward to the next one!

#36 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

This is as good a place as any to say it: Jack Hawksmoor is my favorite character.

No, it's not just this issue that did it, he's always been my second favorite character (after Mr. Majestic) but I've decided that he's moved up and dethroned Maj. GASP! Yes. After this SHotA: Jack Hawksmoor #1 I decided that I needed to finish Jack's page like I've been meaning to do for a while. To do that I went back and reread all his appearances and I think that's when he pushed Maj out of the top spot. I'm telling you guys because I'm sure you're all really desperate to know this kind of stuff about me. So there it is.

#37 Posted by Ketch (327 posts) - - Show Bio

THE SECRET HISTORY OF THE AUTHORITY: JACK HAWKSMOOR #5

Written by Michael Costa, art by Fiona Staples, cover by Cully Hamner.

All the pieces fall into place as Jack Hawksmoor uncovers a plot that spells doom and slavery for mankind. To stop it, Jack will have to get to seventeen cities around the globe in under twelve hours. But he's tied to a chair, cut off from his powers, and his only ally is in cahoots with the bad guys. Can he do it?

32 pages, $2.99, in stores on July 23

#38 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

"Costa has done such good work with a story that doesn't have a lot of actual dialog. The marriage of the art and the running internal monologue is brilliantly noir. Little touches like the conversation with Sal and the Chinese lamp are building a better portrait of Jack's abilities then a dozen fight scenes." That's not from me but I agree wholeheartedly and can't be bothered to speak for myself.

#39 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

This series is a sucess. And Jack was my favorite since he first came out. Take that Buck. The way they are doing his powers is exactly what I was hoping for. And the noir element is just..... natural. Much better than how they started out Midnighter.

#40 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Review from the Buy Pile:

"A posthuman detective story with noirish touches wrestling with the personality of San Francisco as a virtual character, where the last issue levitated, this one soars. Jack leaps across rooftops, chasing down scant clues about a mysterious murder, all while hearing the harrowing history of an unheralded woman with powers of her own. The language here is particularly enthralling, with lines like "Here eyes sparkle like diamonds and I can feel her trying to stab me with a look. Her voice has steel in it ... but it's not cold" and "outside in the city, the night presses up against the glass, as if we're being watched." To say much more would be to spoil the story elements -- sparse, but intense -- so suffice it to say that this script by Mike Costa does so much more than show up for work. Fiona Staples' artwork is moody and rough hewn, much like the energy of the story itself and a perfect fit, its effects and tricks doing a great job in conveying the sometimes altered reality in which the protagonist inhabits. Great work."

Sling Shot says:

"This series is a sucess. And Jack was my favorite since he first came out. Take that Buck. "

I always saw Ambrose as your main man.

#41 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Buckshot says:

Sling Shot says:

"This series is a sucess. And Jack was my favorite since he first came out. Take that Buck. "

I always saw Ambrose as your main man.

"

He is, but I'm greedy. Jack was for along time until he was dethroned by Ambrose. But with all the attention Jack gets and the limbo Ambrose has been in I wanted to be involved.........i'm petty and incorrigible. Is there no help for a molo-dramatic comic fan?! heh.

#42 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

We can start a support group.

#43 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats why your my dude Buck. Community minded individual. Ayo better than a support group convince Image to do a Ambrose mini. That should cure me.

#44 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know if that's feasible. Might have to just wait for Planetary 27 (I hear it might be out before the end of the year) or the one shot and pray one of them is Ambrose-centered. If Image would do it though, who do you have in mind to write and illustrate?

#45 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm torn on the writer. Warren Ellis is obviously a great candidate, but Chris Priest did wonders for Panther adding actual depth and personality and Mike Carey's hard science approach in Ult FF could definitely translate successfully to Ambrose.

I guess I'll go with Grant Morrison.

The Artist: Olivier Coipel, if he's busy Cully Hamner. I'm liking his covers on Jack.

#46 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I must say this is meeting my hopes and exceeding my expectations thus far.

#48 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by Buckshot (18914 posts) - - Show Bio

He's been smashed, crushed, shot, blown up, half drowned, manipulated, heartbroken, robbed of his powers and teleported all over the earth. Now, an exhausted Jack Hawksmoor meets the biggest challenge of his life: the awesome God of Cities!

August 27, 2008
#50 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'll have to give it a look.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.