Thor Question.

#1 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did J.Michael Straczynski leave Thor?

#2 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

From his interview with CBR:

CBR: Why is it time to leave “Thor,” a book that you've led to an Eisner nomination?

J. Michael Straczynski: When I took on “Thor,” I asked if I could keep him out of the rest of the Marvel Universe books for the first six issues, just to give the character time to get back on his feet and so that I could define him on his own terms. And to Marvel's credit, they agreed.

"Thor" # 603 on sale in July

The one concern at the back of my head was that of being pulled into a Big Event that could affect the forward momentum of the book and alter its direction. I've said elsewhere that in many cases -- and this isn't just Marvel, the trend is pandemic -- such an event can sometimes result in the individual books serving the event, rather than the other way around, and you have to spend months and issues afterward stitching everything back together. I'm the kind of writer who likes to write in a straight line and know for certain the terrain he's standing upon. Some writers can handle all that and never break a sweat. For me, it's just not something I can do competently. That's a shortcoming on my part and I recognize it as such.

Prior to the reboot, when “Thor” was selling in the mid-50s, a Big Event wouldn't have been much of a concern, but now it was selling in the top ten month after month, and that increased visibility meant it could precipitate an event. And, again without saying much because this has to come from Marvel, such an event appeared on the horizon.

I agonized over this for months, then finally -- and I'm trying to remember when the email chain took place, but I think it was somewhere either just before or just after the first of the year -- I went to the ever-patient and wonderful [editor] Warren Simons, and the equally patient, warm and fuzzy [Publisher] Dan Buckley, and said of the coming event, "I really, really hate this, because creatively I'm having the time of my life, but I think I need to let go of the book or risk screwing it up when we hit the Event." It was an awful decision, not just because it's a hit book, but because it's the only place I could do that sort of faux-Shakespearean style of dialogue that I love so much. There's simply no other book out there where you can indulge in that.

There were no creative differences, no animosity, no rancor... just the question of how to handle being caught in the switches by my own shortcomings and ineptitude. I have to say here that Warren and Dan were absolutely understanding and supportive and gentle with me -- there are no horror stories here. They are gentlemen and scholars and the kind of business-men you want to work with, because through it all they remain human beings, and that's rare.

The publishing schedule for the book was then slowed down and stretched out to accommodate the search for a new writer, because finding someone to come on with short notice is tough. I have no idea who they've chosen -- I imagine that will be in the release or, at latest, at [Comic-Con International in] San Diego -- but I'm sure it'll be a terrific choice.

The rest of that interview is here.
#3 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you.

#4 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

No problem.

#5 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty disappointing considering how great his run was. I picked up the omnibus a few days ago and it's some of the best Marvel stuff I've ever read.  
Well done, Marvel, for screwing up again.

#6 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

It's very disappointing. They would have made him deal with all those tie-ins and all of that Siege nonsense...I think it's best he left on a good note or I would've seen it ending like his run on Amazing Spider-Man with One More Day. Personally, I think it's the reason why he left Thor. His Spider-Man was plagued with everyone's hands and nonsense in it. 

#7 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Gillen's semi-continuation/conclusion of JMS's run was still surprisingly good, though.
#8 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
" Gillen's semi-continuation/conclusion of JMS's run was still surprisingly good, though. "
Oh, really?
#9 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7594 posts) - - Show Bio

Gillen should have remained on Thor.

#10 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@John Valentine said:
" @Morpheus_ said:
" Gillen's semi-continuation/conclusion of JMS's run was still surprisingly good, though. "
Oh, really? "
Yes.
#11 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fraction is messing Thor up!

#12 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:

Could not agree more, he worked really well considering the nature of the situation, and difficulties he may have had, and even his following arc managed to maintain momentum and explore ideas brought up by Siege.  

I appreciate writers like that, adding their own twist and style, but carrying over momentum from previous writers stories and characterization. I am very glad Gillen will be writing Journey Into Mystery soon. 
#13 Posted by Jake Fury (18167 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved Gillen's run too. Latverian Prometheus was awesome.
#14 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" Loved Gillen's run too. Latverian Prometheus was awesome. "

Indeed. So was The Fine Print arc, and another thing worth bearing in mind, in regard to Gillen's skill, is that he actually had quite small arcs, so he was skilled at packing a lot of story into a very small amount of issues. Not many writers these days write arcs like that any more, they need 6 to 7 issue arcs to build up something epic. 
#15 Posted by Jake Fury (18167 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:
No they can't. I was reading an old Alpha flight comic a few months ago and John Byrne literally packed what would amount to 3-4 issues in today's comics into a single issue. it's a lost art.
#16 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish marvel will atleast give us a break with big events after Fear itself, please let 2012 be big event free.
#17 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Theworldbreaker:  Couldn't agree with you more
#18 Posted by Z3RO180 (6335 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne: i started reading thor on the JMS run the when the seige stuff happend afterwards it was ok but not great then i read world eaters and i liked not great but good so what im asking is why does every one hate matt fraction on thor??? just woundering.

#19 Posted by Z3RO180 (6335 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: do you think there is a change that JMS will come back and do a Thor story not and event that tyes in with another book but only deals with thor??

#20 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180 said:

@SC: do you think there is a change that JMS will come back and do a Thor story not and event that tyes in with another book but only deals with thor??

Probably not unfortunately he seems pretty content at DC and other work. Shame really. I'd love to be wrong though.
#21 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180: I don't like Fraction's run because I feel he writes everyone out of character and he ignores continuity.
#22 Edited by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

@iLLituracy said:

From his interview with CBR:

CBR: Why is it time to leave “Thor,” a book that you've led to an Eisner nomination?

J. Michael Straczynski: When I took on “Thor,” I asked if I could keep him out of the rest of the Marvel Universe books for the first six issues, just to give the character time to get back on his feet and so that I could define him on his own terms. And to Marvel's credit, they agreed.

"Thor" # 603 on sale in July

The one concern at the back of my head was that of being pulled into a Big Event that could affect the forward momentum of the book and alter its direction. I've said elsewhere that in many cases -- and this isn't just Marvel, the trend is pandemic -- such an event can sometimes result in the individual books serving the event, rather than the other way around, and you have to spend months and issues afterward stitching everything back together. I'm the kind of writer who likes to write in a straight line and know for certain the terrain he's standing upon. Some writers can handle all that and never break a sweat. For me, it's just not something I can do competently. That's a shortcoming on my part and I recognize it as such.

Prior to the reboot, when “Thor” was selling in the mid-50s, a Big Event wouldn't have been much of a concern, but now it was selling in the top ten month after month, and that increased visibility meant it could precipitate an event. And, again without saying much because this has to come from Marvel, such an event appeared on the horizon.

I agonized over this for months, then finally -- and I'm trying to remember when the email chain took place, but I think it was somewhere either just before or just after the first of the year -- I went to the ever-patient and wonderful [editor] Warren Simons, and the equally patient, warm and fuzzy [Publisher] Dan Buckley, and said of the coming event, "I really, really hate this, because creatively I'm having the time of my life, but I think I need to let go of the book or risk screwing it up when we hit the Event." It was an awful decision, not just because it's a hit book, but because it's the only place I could do that sort of faux-Shakespearean style of dialogue that I love so much. There's simply no other book out there where you can indulge in that.

There were no creative differences, no animosity, no rancor... just the question of how to handle being caught in the switches by my own shortcomings and ineptitude. I have to say here that Warren and Dan were absolutely understanding and supportive and gentle with me -- there are no horror stories here. They are gentlemen and scholars and the kind of business-men you want to work with, because through it all they remain human beings, and that's rare.

The publishing schedule for the book was then slowed down and stretched out to accommodate the search for a new writer, because finding someone to come on with short notice is tough. I have no idea who they've chosen -- I imagine that will be in the release or, at latest, at [Comic-Con International in] San Diego -- but I'm sure it'll be a terrific choice.

The rest of that interview is here.

The sad part of this, is that he REALLY wanted to continue... He is my favourite writer, and he didn't finished with him, he could have done AWESOME things, at least with Spidey he had time to write all he wanted to write until the Other, Civil War, Back In Black and One More Day (Oh, and also the Norman's twins), damn Quesada, I don't blame JMS, he had enough even for a while, now they wanted to do the same with Thor with the Dark Reign, Siege and Fear itself, for a a writer it should be such a hell to change your plans and the way you writes for an event and now Thor is dead again, maybe that was the best thing for him....

Why?!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.