Follow

J. Michael Straczynski

Person » J. Michael Straczynski is credited in 790 issues.

J. Michael Straczynski is an American born writer. He is the Creator of Babylon 5. Straczynski's work at Marvel includes Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four & Squadron Supreme. His work at DC includes Superman, Wonder Woman, the Superman: Earth One books, and Before Watchmen: Nite Owl, Dr. Manhattan, and Moloch.

Superman: Earth One Sequel in the Works by JMS

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

DC Universe: The Source Blog posted breaking news today: Superman: Earth One Sequel in the Works.
    As far as I can tell, here on the site the even more important news is that JMS will be leaving the Superman and Wonder Woman books for the Superman: Earth One sequel. 

No Caption Provided
    It shouldn't be a surprise that after the huge success that was Superman: Earth One a sequel would follow. There's still no information about the sequel's story or release date but here's what J. Michael Straczynski has to say about all this: 

"I'd originally come to DC to do the Superman: Earth One book which, at the time, was top secret so nobody knew about it." 

Of course, the question in everyone's mind is what will happen to the Superman and Wonder Woman books? 
    DC also announced, alongside with the sequel to Superman: Earth One, that writers Chris Roberson (i,Zombie and Cinderella: From Fabletown with Love) would be taking over Superman and Phil Hester (The Darkness) continue with Wonder Woman's stories.

"When I was done with SEO I took on the Superman and Wonder Woman monthlies on the theory that I'd have time to script the full 12 issues before bounding back onto Earth One. But when the huge numbers started coming in on Earth One, and the need to fastrack the next volumes became evident in order to keep the momentum going, I knew there was no way in god's green earth that I could write that and the monthlies simultaneously. Since DC has had my notes and outlines from day one on both titles, so they're still my stories, it makes sense to let Chris and Phil keep going from the story beats I've set up."

I said that there's no information about the release date, yet Strczynski will be taking a five-year sabbatical from writing monthly books and focus on writing the S:EO sequel and Samaritan X graphic novels.

"At some point I'm sure I'll come back to monthlies - it's just too darn much fun - but for the next one to five years, it's strictly GNs and miniseries, with Superman: Earth One being first priority, followed by Samaritan X" 

No Caption Provided
    So what do you think? 
    I know that JMS's run on Superman and Wonder Woman have been controversial, but do you feel these books will have a major impact without JMS?  
    Superman: Earth One is one of the top selling graphic novels and I hear the story is really good (I haven't read it but it is on my "To Read" list), are you excited for the sequel? 

Chris Roberson will begin his run on Superman #707 as tabbed by Superman Group Editor Matt Idleson. Artist Alan Goldman will be working with Roberson on issue #707 and the book's regular artist, Eddy Barrows, will be back for issue #708.
    Phil Hester will take over Wonder Woman on issue #605 alongside artist Eduardo Pansica for two issues, and on issue #607 regular artist of the book, Don Kramer will be back.
    We should be seeing the Superman: Earth One sequel in the next one to five years. 
    -- Geo ( sora_thekey ), long time user, blogger, wiki editor of the Whiskey Media Sites, and 24/7geek!       
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

this is stupid...why fast track the sequel...why not let him take his time on it while still doing Superman and Wonder Woman...especially after the big change in Wonder Woman how could DC even begin to think that it would be a good idea to let someone else take over that story.....freaking money grubbing C.E.O.'s

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By sora_thekey
    @danhimself said:
    " this is stupid...why fast track the sequel...why not let him take his time on it while still doing Superman and Wonder Woman...especially after the big change in Wonder Woman how could DC even begin to think that it would be a good idea to let someone else take over that story.....freaking money grubbing C.E.O.'s "
    You really think that this will affect the story? 
    He did leave outlines and notes for the writers taking over, they might even improve it.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Can't wait, I really liked E1, but I felt there wasn't enough character work, hopefully the sequel rectifies that :D 
    Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

I haven't even found the time to read the book yet (hopefully will do tomorrow), and they already announced a sequel. That's way too fast in my opinion, even if those are good news. They better focus on some other character's Earth One story, and leave the sequel for later.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By danhimself
    @sora_thekey said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " this is stupid...why fast track the sequel...why not let him take his time on it while still doing Superman and Wonder Woman...especially after the big change in Wonder Woman how could DC even begin to think that it would be a good idea to let someone else take over that story.....freaking money grubbing C.E.O.'s "
    You really think that this will affect the story? He did leave outlines and notes for the writers taking over, they might even improve it. "
    who knows it could be better or it could be worse but what J.M.S. is doing with Wonder Woman is a big deal and he should at least finish up a year before leaving the book and I'm one of the people that really likes what he's doing with Superman so I would have liked to have seen that continue...I mean Earth One is a graphic novel and it should be treated like a side project..even on the fast track it's probably going to take another six months for the book to be released so why not just let him take his time and do it unrushed
    SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SoA

i'll read it i read eath one , and im not a fan of superman at all . loved the story lol

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Primmaster64
    @SoA: So...you like Supes now?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.