JMS talks Batman/Thor, JoeQ replying with barrier of silence

#1 Posted by OhTru (1583 posts) - - Show Bio

Earlier this week Newsarama talked with writer J. Michael Straczynski about Superman: Earth One, Brave & The Bold and his other DC books. Now we turn to the site of his primary comics publisher for the past nine years: Marvel Comics. Although The Twelve is his only project with the House of Ideas as of press time, since 2001 he had been one of Marvel’s key writers with a six year run on Amazing Spider-Man and being part of the team that brought Thor into the upper echelon of comic sales charts for the first time in ages.

After over a year of delays and unanswered questions, the twelve-issue miniseries The Twelve is back on track with the long-delayed ninth issue scheduled for release this spring. We continued our chat with Straczynski, talking about that series and it’s troubled past as well as the nature of Straczynski’s relationship with Marvel in the past few years.

Newsarama: Moving over to talk more about your Marvel work, your sole project with them currently is finishing up The Twelve. Where would you say you are with that project?

J. Michael Straczynski: Tom Brevoort will have something happy to announce about this sometime probably next month.  And that's all I'm going to say about it for now.

Nrama: Presumably in an effort to keep The Twelve out there in reader’s minds, Marvel has put out several one-shots featuring the characters --- including one written by Twelve artist Chris Weston. Is this something you were involved with, or consulted on from a story-standpoint?

JMS: I seem to recall seeing a few things early on, but Chris was more than capable of handling things, so I left it to his and Tom's discretion.

Nrama: Going back into these final issues, what can readers expect as the miniseries wraps up?

JMS: The real origin of the Fiery Mask, as opposed to what he's said to this point, the revelation of the killer's identity, the discovery that one of them is not who or what the others think, the culmination of an unanticipated love story, at least one more of them will die, and one of them goes home to a place that may or may not exist.

ENLARGE
Nrama: With you now primarily working at DC and your relationship with Marvel not as huge as it once was, how would you describe that relationship now?

Though Joe Q. has not spoken a word to me since I offered a critical opinion about Spiderman: One More Day, the rest of the staff at Marvel could not be more welcoming or professional or friendly, especially [Marvel Publisher] Dan Buckley (who had to move into the position of my liaison once Joe put me in the cone of silence)
#2 Posted by BIackFlash (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

heroic age fixes all

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.