Follow

Ivan Reis

Person » Ivan Reis is credited in 835 issues.

A Brazillian comic book artist.

Interview: Ivan Reis Talks JUSTICE LEAGUE and Art

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Artist Ivan Reis has become a DC staple working on books like GREEN LANTERN, BRIGHTEST DAY, BLACKEST NIGHT, and AQUAMAN. Currently, Reis stepped up to draw the JUSTICE LEAGUE series, taking over after Jim Lee's run, and is doing some great work on the Throne of Atlantis story line.

Reis took the time out to talk to us about his new work on JUSTICE LEAGUE and working as an artist in this industry.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: You had a great run on AQUAMAN, and now you get to work on JUSTICE LEAGUE. What was your first reaction when you got asked to work on this book?

Ivan Reis: I had many opportunities in past to work with the League, but due to several reasons it never pan out. And in the end, I think it was for the best. I had the chance to grow-up as an artist, which made me much more confident in doing it now. And when the chance finally presented itself, it was the right time in my career. And the right time to put in practice everything I've learned during the years. All I can say now is... I'm a happy geek artist! :)

CV:Which character were you most excited to draw?

IR: During all my years working for DC, I only had the chance to work with a few characters on MONTHLY books. Superman on Action Comics. Then Green Lantern, which was the series that I drew for most time, and then Aquaman... the other things that I did were only short-time series or one-shots, and I couldn't barely scratch the surface of what I could do with the characters.

But during all that time, the book I'm more proud of is Aquaman.

No Caption Provided

CV:Overall, how do you feel about your work on AQUAMAN, and how do you feel about leaving the book?

IR: Without a doubt, Aquaman was the most gratifying work I've ever done. Drawing the book was my choice, and then I took it as a challenge. Then, having Geoff(Johns), Joe(Prado), Rod (Reis) and our awesome editor, Pat MacCallum, onboard was a true blessing. being able to work with such fine-tunned team, and share a passion for the job and for the challenge to make the book excel, made everyone gave their best. Leave the book really broke my heart, but we all knew it was time to move on, because we knew that our next challenge wouldn't be so... ehr... easy, to say the least! I'm lucky that all the team followed me to Justice League! :)

CV: How much of a challenge is working on JUSTICE LEAGUE since you're taking on a lot more characters, most of which are considered iconic?

IR: It's a hell of a challenge! Take over after Jim(Lee) leaves the book! Damn! Him and Geoff kept the sales up for the book more than a year, and have to take over THAT responsibility is a LOT! to keep the same epic, iconic and energetic vibe... no easy task, I tell you! To make so many characters visually (and emotionally) different, on the same book, only makes it harder! But hey! I LOVE a challenge! Lol! I'm lucky because, I feel that I'm much more prepared and experienced now, and on top of that I have the whole crew backing me up on this!

CV:Do you have any plans on tweaking or changing any character's costumes during your run on JUSTICE LEAGUE?

IR: Well, so far I only tweaked a little Cyborg. We made him look more "human" shaped, instead of heavy and bulkier. Since he can control his form, this is a way of him trying to get back a little of his lost humanity, you know? Who knows if we'll be able to do him wearing civilian clothes at some point. He only goes all heavy and bulky in "attack/defense mode" now, so he does that when necessary.

No Caption Provided

CV:How do you tackle a large-scale action sequence?

IR: Ah! Good one! With less hours of sleep, and more hours on the art-table! LOL!

Also, I love to make sound effects emulating battle sounds, just to get in the mood! Truth to be told, I've never stopped too much time thinking about those scenes. I just try to keep them loaded with characters, lots of action, BUT easy to understand visually. That's my only concern.

CV: What character, that you haven't worked on yet, have you always wanted draw and why?

IR: SHAZAM! He's one of my favorite characters since I was a kid! Other character that I love is Conan, The Barbarian! I learned how to draw seeing John Buscema's art on Savage Sword of Conan!

CV:What suggestions would you have for some of the readers out there who would want to get into the comic book business?

IR: You gotta LOVE what you do. Have FUN while working with it. That helps a lot to keep up the energy... and of course, DRAW A LOT! ALL THE TIME!!! :)

Thanks to Ivan Reis for taking the time out to answer some questions and make sure to check out JUSTICE LEAGUE#15 and beyond!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

I love his explanation for Cyborg's less bulky form. Makes perfect sense as an excellent art decision. If only one of my favourite artists was working on something other than this instead. So far Justice League simply wins the prettiest comic book award.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Veshark

Great interview.

I definitely prefer Reis over Lee for Justice League. No offense to Jim Lee, but Reis' cleaner pencils are a lot easier on the eyes. Plus I love the level of detail that he puts into his work nowadays. If you compare his pencils from Aquaman/JL to his Green Lantern work, it's quite incredible to see how much he's grown as an artist.

And the way he draws Batman's eyes - all black and covered in shadows like an actual bat's - is too cool!

zachkastner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By zachkastner

I can't wait until Captain Marvel fully joins the Justice League. Reis seems really excited to handle the character (and from what I've seen of his Justice League 0 variant & issue 15 cover he does a fine job!)

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#4  Edited By pspin

Great interview. I love Reis' art, it was probably the best part about Blackest Night and makes Justice League even better.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dondave

Good Interview

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I liked his art before, but I'm a huge fan now. He comes off as such an awesome guy.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By doordoor123

@inferiorego said:

I liked his art before, but I'm a huge fan now. He comes off as such an awesome guy.

Take a hint Liefeld; cool people are better artists!

microwave25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8  Edited By microwave25

In terms of pure Superhero art Ivan Reis is top of the pile. His work is beautifully extravagant and bold without coming across as indulgent and excessive. He's also very fast and consistent. He knocked off 13 or 14 straight issues of Aquaman and if you've read it you know how detailed the man is. A great talent.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more of a Marvel fan, but these Justice League stories greatly impressed me.

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Shika1Dude

Cool interview, Reiss has been awesome on Aquaman - his splash pages on JL are unreal, cant wait to see what else he has for us

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Mucklefluga

Yay Reis! Can't wait for a collected version of Throne of Atlantis! Those flood scenes are amazing!

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ccraft

At 1st I didn't want Ivan Reis to be the artist for Justice League, but after get Aquaman New 52 I changed my mind. I also love the way he shades, thats one of my problems I have as an artist. I just can't make my shadings look good. I'm selling JL 0-15 if anyone is interested, message me.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mbecks14

I am obsessed with Reis' work! I think he's one of the best in the business and he deserves the A-List books he's been getting.

@Lvenger said:

I love his explanation for Cyborg's less bulky form. Makes perfect sense as an excellent art decision. If only one of my favourite artists was working on something other than this instead. So far Justice League simply wins the prettiest comic book award.

100% agreed.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Raw_Material

What's up with all the top-notch writers and artists resigning from their perspective titles that made them who they are today? I mean, both Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis left Green Lantern and Aquaman in order to keep a good eye on the Justice League and Justice League of America titles; Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, what is next?! What has DC become! Hopefully they'll have reinforcements to fill in for the titles, those who can easily meet the standards that Johns and Reis set forth. Very sad day for us all.

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By yo_yo_fun

Definitely one of my favorite artists!

PLEASE come back to Aquaman!!!

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KnightofSteel

Great interview. Reis is definitely the best in the industry right now. His style reminds me of José Luis García-López's work -- very clean and gives super-heroes a very strong visual presence that is so important. A perfect artist for Justice League. Also kudos to Joe Prado and Rod Reis -- a couple of other very talented guys!

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By modunhanul

I really love Reis's art.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Cavemold

love that art

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#19  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I like his art a lot in JL.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By SUNMAN

I think Ivan Reis is hands down my favorite artist right now

@inferiorego said:

CV:Do you have any plans on tweaking or changing any character's costumes during your run on JUSTICE LEAGUE?

IR: Well, so far I only tweaked a little Cyborg. We made him look more "human" shaped, instead of heavy and bulkier. Since he can control his form, this is a way of him trying to get back a little of his lost humanity, you know? Who knows if we'll be able to do him wearing civilian clothes at some point. He only goes all heavy and bulky in "attack/defense mode" now, so he does that when necessary.

No Caption Provided

Finally! I suggested this a while ago, that Cyborg should be slimmed down but still be able to go into a sort of battle mode if needed. I love it. Outside of reconfiguring his forearms I didn't think we'd been given enough to assume he could change his form though. Obviously his look has changed now and than on different panels for Justice League issues, but I just chocked that up to different artist preferences. Nice we actually got some confirmation.

Avatar image for mycomicstoredotnet
    MyComicStoreDotNET

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sad that Reis is no longer drawing Aquaman, his ability to draw the ocean/water effects was amazing. I am thankful that Paul Pelletier is filing in well.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dud317

I didn't realize Reis is a teeny bopper. Lol!?!?!? Did that just happen? I hope this was an interview over email because if he actually said Lol, I've lost all hope for humanity. Luckily he's only illustrating the book. I'd have to cancel if that crap made it in. I can't believe a grown man typed that. Also, way to proofread Comic Vine. It had about as many typos as a Chinese translated users manual.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Absolutely LOVE Reis and his artwork so he will be a great addition to the JL creative roster. Go Ivan!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.