Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

"Punching and sarcasm!"

It may have taken some time, but IRON MAN has become a thoroughly entertaining read. Kieron Gillen is taking a huuuuuge risk by making massive changes to Tony Stark's origin, and so far I think he's passed with flying colors. Not only does this ginormous modification to Iron Man's origin make sense in the bigger picture, but it's being presented in such a fantastic manner thanks to Kieron Gillen's sharp writing.

The conversations between 451 and Tony have become a real joy to read. There's always been a layer of charm to 451, but this issue really sold me on the character and by the end of the issue, I honestly thought 451's a lovably unique character. "And Commodore 64? Harsh."

Dale Eaglesham is an awesome addition to the book and he (along with Guru Efx) can handle everything Gillen throws his way. Space fights? Vibrant, explosive and energetic. Emotional responses from organic beings? Appropriate and properly conveys the tone. The assortment of technology and aliens? They all look fantastic. Even if you disagree with me on the story's turn of events, I'm fairly certain you'll agree the book looks solid.

The Bad

Minor gripe: I know it was a last minute response, but Howard's a brilliant man, so was shotgun rushing laser gun-armed aliens the best idea he could come up with? I mean, it's clear 451 had no gripe dealing with the projectiles and effortlessly dispatching them, so why not have the super advanced and super intellectual alien handle them in another manner? The art made the scene look great and it was a good time... I just find it a bit tough to believe Howard's response would be "SHOTGUN RUSH!"

The Verdict

I'm legitimately hooked. The book concludes with Tony asking 451 "So... what happened?" and I'm honestly eager to see the answer. Killen's made this controversial change all kinds of intriguing by adding just the right amounts of humor, curiosity, wackiness and downright fun. I'm right there with Tony -- I want to know what comes next.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

well tony stark is completely ruined for me, that is, if what i heard is true.

What did you hear?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134 said:

@theacidskull said:

What did you hear?

That tony is a Genius only because he was injected with some robotic technology

That's awful

Praetor_fenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Truth to be told the art is much better than Land's but still not my cup of tea. It must be i was so attatched to Larroca. Storywise it's been great and i'm looking forward to the reveal i hope it's not cheese and crackers...

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@daredevil21134 said:

@theacidskull said:

What did you hear?

That tony is a Genius only because he was injected with some robotic technology

That bugs me too..... the origins much like the Ultimate Earth, where Stark has Neuro-synapses covering his whole body...

paralaxsteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 3

Gregg I'm with you on this story I love the twist I have never really enjoyed Iron Man before but the origin of tony stark story so far has me hooked I love the writing and art on these books it's great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Not sure how I feel about this so far.

Jacobin_Wisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jacobin_Wisdom

Hmmmmm, hopefully there not a twist where it's like, "I kid, I kid, I just said all that to manipulate you Tony!" as then the storyline would feel like a waste.

DP812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By DP812

One of the great things about Tony Stark is that his genius was something he developed. It wasn't a superpower, he wasn't born with it, he had to work hard at it.

This new origin has completely trashed that.

The idea of Tony's intellect being something that was done TO him rather than something he did FOR himself was so terrible when Orson Scott Card did it in Ultimate Iron Man that it was promptly retconned, so I have absolutely no idea why Gillen or Marvel would think it should be tried again.

I wonder if DC will follow suit and reveal that while Bruce Wayne was in the womb, the knowledge of Sherlock Holmes and the fighting skills of Bruce Lee were implanted into his brain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.