thecannon's Iron Man review

Truly Epic

Well, my reviews have returned (yay). This time, I'm reviewing Iron Man. Iron Man was the first comic movie I saw in theaters. I admit, when I first saw it, I knew very little about Iron Man. I only watched reruns of the 90s animated series, and I didn't think much of it. Although the movie made me want to read the comics, and I liked him. Anyway, let's get started.

The Good

• Tony Stark - Who the Hell doesn't like Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark? He is just perfect. Probably the greatest casting in a comic movie ever. He just pulls off the look, personality, etc. He's just perfect.
  • Iron Man - The CGI on Iron Man is just amazing. It looks good, cool, real (well, as real as it'll get), etc. It was amazing seeing Iron Man fight someone. There's not much to say really...
  • Pepper Potts - Gwyneth Paltrow does a very good Pepper Potts. She really does. When I first saw the movie, I knew just about nothing about the character. At the time, my only thoughts about here was she was good at acting (which she is) and she was hot (still think that. I really do). But as time went on, and I learned more about the character, I really thought she pulled off the role.
  • James Rhodes - Can't call him War Machine. But I thought he was good in the film. Sure, he never put on the armor which was disappointing, but still good. James in the movie was good, and it did make sense for him not to wear the armor.
  • Iron Monger - Wait, did they call him Iron Monger in the film? Meh. Anyway, when I first saw the movie, I had NO CLUE who he was. I kept wondering why they made up a villain for the film. But the only Iron Man villains I heard of were Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo, and Titanium Man. After I stopped being an idiot and actually read some Iron Man comics, I learned who the character actually was. I think he was a great villain to have and he worked very well. It actually felt like there was an actual rivalry between the guys. Anytime they can have a villain worked into the hero's backstory, I think it's good. Well, most of the time. He looked cool, and posed an actual threat to Iron Man.
  • Changes to the origin - The idea of Tony being captured by terrorists? One Word: Brilliant!
  • Iron Man escapes from Afghanistan(?) - I forget if that was the country. But it was still an awesome scene.
  • Iron Man vs Iron Monger - Cool fight scene. Could of been better, but still cool.
  • War Machine hint - I LOVED the moment where Rhodey looked at the silver armor and said "Not today." I thought it was perfect to hint War Machine. I called it the moment I saw that in the theaters. And the moment Iron Man 2 trailers came out, I was saying to my family "I told you! War Machine suckas!" Needless to say, they did not appreciate my yelling.
  • JARVIS - I at first hated the idea of turning Jarvis into an AI computer thing. But it was done very well here. I have no complaints.
  • Phil Coulson - I loved seeing him in the movie. I loved the SHIELD mentions (I loved anything involving crossovers), and it was nice to see him. I just had a feeling he was going to play a role at some point. I was right.
  • Nick Fury cameo - I was an idiot at first. I left as soon as the credits started to role. Upon reading online, I quickly turned on the DVD and had a look. It was awesome. Now THAT was perfect, and it just felt right. It was the perfect way to start building towards The Avengers.

The Bad

There really isn't much bad about this movie. It's definitely not my favorite, though it's up there. So, yeah.

Overall Rating

I would say to see this film if you haven't. But if you haven't seen this movie: What is wrong with you? Have you been stranded on Mars for the past ten years? Sorry to be rude, but, really? But this is just a fantastic film, and while it's not my favorite, I am trying to do these reviews as actual films than my personal preference.

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars.

P.S. Leave a comment saying which movie you'd like to see me to review next. I'm running out of ideas.

Posted by johnkmccubbin91

The films only been out just under 5 years so asking if you've been standing on Mars for 10 is a little over exaggerating. Still a brilliant review though

Posted by TheCannon