Why do comic fans hate Iron Man?

• 121 results
#101 Edited by AlcubensLibrae (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

I honestly wonder why comic fans say they hate Iron Man because of Civil War. Even as someone who has Captain America as one of his top 10 favorite heroes, it's easy for me to see that that event was SEVERELY biased towards him, and forcefully tried to make him out to be the" hero", while Tony was forced to be the "villain". Terrible writing in my opinion.

you answered your own question: the terrible writing that made "tony" a villain. he was already a jerk, cw tripled that. but really all things aside, i hate him mostly because of his relationship with spider-man. consider (and if not, you are a hypocrite to begin with) someone a friend, upgrade his costume but record every move, put brain wave readers in it and what-not, discover the secret of spider-sense, collect enough info to predict all his moves? now. with friends like tony, you dont need enemies.

just finished secret invasion and i LOVE how that event completely thrashed iron man. bwahahah! him and maria hill and all freaking shield!!! good freaking riddance.

#102 Posted by Squares (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War, and the fact that non comic fans love him.

#103 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

He's been one of my favorite characters for well over a decade. I love his new popularity, it's really giving him a lot more exposure.

#104 Posted by Wolverine08 (45536 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

I honestly wonder why comic fans say they hate Iron Man because of Civil War. Even as someone who has Captain America as one of his top 10 favorite heroes, it's easy for me to see that that event was SEVERELY biased towards him, and forcefully tried to make him out to be the" hero", while Tony was forced to be the "villain". Terrible writing in my opinion.

you answered your own question: the terrible writing that made "tony" a villain. he was already a jerk, cw tripled that. but really all things aside, i hate him mostly because of his relationship with spider-man. consider (and if not, you are a hypocrite to begin with) someone a friend, upgrade his costume but record every move, put brain wave readers in it and what-not, discover the secret of spider-sense, collect enough info to predict all his moves? now. with friends like tony, you dont need enemies.

just finished secret invasion and i LOVE how that event completely thrashed iron man. bwahahah! him and maria hill too. gah, how i hate that woman...

There is a difference between being somewhat of a jerk, and a full on villain. Which Civil War tried to paint Tony as.

#105 Posted by AlcubensLibrae (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

There is a difference between being somewhat of a jerk, and a full on villain. Which Civil War tried to paint Tony as.

he is not a villain. he just act like a lawful good paladin and tries to smite those who do not acknowledge his god, even if a friend. actually, no, he think himself as the god... i am a futurist blablabla... i can see what wil happen in future blablabla... i put u in this prison in negative zone until you register for your own good... i give you this new costume spidey, and now i take it along with your secrets... this is not evil, this is not villany. this is just freaking god complex.

no, the writing here awesome. they were very, very successful at making me hate him. i didn't hate skrulls in secret invasion more than i hate iron man in cw. it's the final i dont like in this event. cap surrendering doesnt make sense, as i explained earlier.

#106 Edited by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

wow, sorry for bumping this thread again, but I have not really read any Iron Man comics for years and having only seen him in the films, didn't realise how disliked he was by comic book fans! In the films, he is a jerk, but man he saves the world in the Avengers Assemble and you get the feeling that deep down he is alright...maybe I had better not buy a copy of Civil War after all, because it might alter my view of one of my favourite Marvel Characters!

#107 Edited by TheMarvelFanboy (268 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man is my favorite character. I personally havent really sensed any hate towards Iron Man. People seem to love him.

#108 Posted by Jake Fury (19186 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Iron Man and I love Gillen's series.

#109 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War was awful IMO

#110 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Late to the board here, but I'm still a bit miffed about Civil War to be honest. I get that he was written to be the asshole, but all a characters popularity comes down to is how they have been written in recent history.

I also find the playboy thing, which I liked in the movies, translates as being a bit swarmy/douchey in comic books.

#111 Posted by MasterBelmont (363 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate him because he's an irresponsible, alcoholic jerk who does so many bad things (Civil War, anyone?). I don't know what story it was, but I know of that time when he lost his whole company to Stane due to alcoholism, and I read about one time where he got drunk and fired all his employees at a party. He's also unfunny, doesn't kick a**, and doesn't stand for anything good (three things that I want at least one of in my favorite heroes). Though I got into comics in 2011, I can't imagine how terrible the Registration Act period was for fans (especially since IM was everywhere and in charge of all these heroes). I do like RDJ's character in the movies, though, because he's different from the comics version.

#112 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if you've been reading the Fatal Frontier online comic for him that's been going on, you can find all of the worst aspects of the character laid out for everyone to see. Pretentious, unnecessarily secretive, arrogant, unrealistic, and stuck in the past; all things that sum up the character and traits people dislike.

#113 Posted by XxEdward_KenwayXx (609 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomnaut: pfft, yeah right. Iron man is a douche bag.

#114 Posted by Anjales (543 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow there are more detractors than I thought. It seems the general reason for this hate is because of his arrogant behavior and his questionable acts in Civil War. Now Iron Man is far from my favorite character, but I am a fan and here's why.

Tony represent a general demeanor of in humanity the modern world. He started out as a rich self-centered playboy who only cared about glory and with no real purpose in life, but after a traumatic experience, realized that his negligence hurts people, and decides to use his smarts and money for something better. Sure he's still an arrogant playboy, but he also represents today's humanity's ambitions and potential for good, and the ability to use this potential to its maximum. He is inspirational because no matter all the issues that he's gone through, he always uses it as fuel, learns from his mistakes, and moves forward, and beyond, to not only atone for his mistakes, but also achieve a level of good that no one thought is possible. Sure he can be arrogant sometimes, but for some, that is part of his charm, he is just the type of loveable jerk, where you are annoyed by him yet you can't help but admire him.

At the end of the day, Tony is human, he is suceptible to mistakes, but that never holds him back, instead, he pushes forward, through sheer will. That is what Tony is all about, humanity's sheer will to better themselves and go beyond what they thought they could achieve, and finally leave a legacy that can help future generations. The suits, the money and the swag is all flash, but Tony is Iron Man because he has an Iron will to succeed and be better.

#115 Posted by LightPsyche (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Mainstream appeal to hopeful new Marvel fans will probably make Iron Man the bridge to Marvel Comics, coupled with the fact that the Avengers as a team are being massively exposed to the general public.

A new age of Iron Man's insane boost in popularity may probably garner new Iron Man readers, thus Iron Man may become a high-seller for Marvel Comics.

Hopefully the decade that follows will see his exposure translate to high sales for Marvel Comics for both the Iron Man and the Avengers franchises.

But Marvel has to get serious with his books; otherwise, those efforts will prove hard to push.

#116 Posted by Bezza (3855 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do so many viners hate Iron Man? Weird, mega popular character out there now due to the comics, but not loved by comic book fans, so it seems!

#117 Edited by Teerack (7413 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't.

#119 Posted by Jayc1324 (13371 posts) - - Show Bio

Because we don't

#120 Posted by Erik (33327 posts) - - Show Bio
#121 Posted by Overseer (404 posts) - - Show Bio

I myself like Iron Man but I think one reason was actually in Tony's very conception as a character. Stan Lee has said he wanted to make a character that everyone (meaning comic fans of the 1960s) would hate then shove his many sympathetic sides and heroic character in their faces until they loved him. However when you make a character that people are meant to hate (at least at first), there will come those who you can't turn.

I just consider it part of Tony's character that he can be a brash, arrogant, manipulative jerkass, but that's just his flaws as a person. Others might not see it that way and they have every right to, but that's just my take.

#122 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

People blame Tony for Civil War, but at least Tony thought about what he was doing. Captain America was opposed to Superhuman Registration Act even though the whole reason it was brought about was because the people wanted it. Just ironic because Cap is supposed to stand for democracy and the way he acted wasn't in line with that at all. This guy explains it pretty well:

#123 Posted by THORSON (2518 posts) - - Show Bio

sometimes he's annoying.

i liked emh iron man the best. he was cool, calm, mature and smarter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.