Why all the Iron Man hate again?

#1 Posted by Tyrus (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

"Because he's a drunk" - First line from every hater.

Seriously... This time around I still don't understand the Iron Man hate. I'll say that 5/6 years ago when Civil War wrapped up, people had a pretty good reason to hate Stark (so did I) but right now all the Iron Man hate is just pure garbage. People go around bashing and crying about Robert Downey Jr. making him popular which turns into a heated discussion of people calling Downey a crackhead to justify whatever ridiculous point they are trying to make about a fictional character.

Another argument brought up is about how he apparently has "no proper comic-book storyline" (in other words, no 'dark' storyline) which eventually takes an EXPECTED turn to Demon in a Bottle, returning to another discussion about Iron Man being a drunk. Uh - The Mask in the Iron Man? The Iron Age? Armor Wars? EXTREMIS? Can people please log those in for a short read? I don't understand why nobody can celebrate Iron Man's 50 years just for a second.

The title says it all, is there a way for people to further elaborate on how Stark being a drunk immediately makes him a bad character or how Robert Downey Jr. being a crackhead makes him a bad Iron Man?

#2 Edited by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, IM1 was awesome, IM2 was good, IM3 was okay. I thought IM3 was pretty funny, and even though I have no clue who Mandarin is in comic books, I was still upset how he turned out as a joke. I would still like to see someone else after a few years, I want to see more of IM than Tony Stark, we don't need to see his face inside of IM.

Iron Man is a cool character, and one of my favorites, but I have no collected comics just featuring him. Open to suggestions.

#3 Edited by Wolverine08 (40742 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

I like Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, IM1 was awesome, IM2 was good, IM3 was okay. I thought IM3 was pretty funny, and even though I have no clue who Mandarin is in comic books, I was still upset how he turned out as a joke. I would still like to see someone else after a few years, I want to see more of IM than Tony Stark, we don't need to see his face inside of IM.

Iron Man is a cool character, and one of my favorites, but I have no collected comics just featuring him. Open to suggestions.

Get Extremis by Warren Ellis.

#4 Posted by Wolverine08 (40742 posts) - - Show Bio

Haters gonna hate, but Iron Man is awesome!

#5 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21395 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hater

#6 Edited by Dernman (14909 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hating on the stupid prehistory retcon.

#7 Posted by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I got issue 1 it was pretty good, I'll collect the rest soon, anything else?

#8 Posted by Squares (5270 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War, I think. Most people who had to read it have learned to hate Iron Man, from what I'm told.

#9 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually didn't know that Iron Man had haters.

Too bad, he's my favorite Marvel hero!

#10 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Iron Man. I enjoyed the movies (not so much 2) and Robert Downey Jr as the character, but I don't like comic Iron Man.

#11 Posted by THORSON (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

THOR will always have the most haters.

#12 Posted by War Killer (20105 posts) - - Show Bio

That is one of my favorite scenes from IM1!!! ^__^ It's just so epic.

I love all of the Iron Man movies, IM2 had it's issues but both IM1 and IM3 were great. I also think RDJ is a great Tony Stark/Iron Man.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (40742 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

That is one of my favorite scenes from IM1!!! ^__^ It's just so epic.

I love all of the Iron Man movies, IM2 had it's issues but both IM1 and IM3 were great. I also think RDJ is a great Tony Stark/Iron Man.

That scene was totally badass! Gives me chills every time I watch it! And yes, Robert Downey Jr. IS Iron Man.

#14 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? People bag on him for alcoholism? I'm not sure that's the reason for most people. Usually how he was portrayed in Civil War is thrown out as a reason for Iron Hate.

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (40742 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft:

You should also check out Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man run.

#16 Edited by The Stegman (23803 posts) - - Show Bio

I like RDJ Iron Man, but I couldn't care less about comic Tony

#17 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

THOR will always have the most haters.

Really? What do the haters have to complain about?

#18 Edited by Doomnaut (1993 posts) - - Show Bio

Jealousy.

#19 Posted by PietroMaximoffIsTheMan (56 posts) - - Show Bio

People hate Iron Man for having a human and realistic weakness that some people can even relate to? That seems odd.

#20 Edited by HumanRocket (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

Super human registration act that's why and cuz he's douche but a loveable douche

#21 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@humanrocket: it's not like he wrote it. It was going to pass anyway.

#22 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft:

You should also check out Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man run.

Co-sign both Extremis and Fraction's run. I've also heard good things about the Knauf's run.

Anyway....haters should give Iron Man a chance. He's a great character with a number of awesome runs.

#23 Posted by ComicStooge (12439 posts) - - Show Bio

The only version of Iron Man I dislike is RDJ's portrayal of him.

#24 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1596 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL well people are still angry at him over Civil War for one thing. But are there really people that get on him for alcoholism? Really? When that's easily one of the most well developed character attributes/flaws in comic book history? And we've actively seen him struggle with it, deal with it, and work his hardest to control it for years?

#26 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12878 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War, hooking up with Wasp 5 seconds after her divorce with Hank Pym, jettisoning Hulk into space etc are reasons that I usually hear. They're all much better reasons than hating him because he can't hold his liquor.

#27 Posted by Jimmie_Hudson_ (284 posts) - - Show Bio

haters hate. it is what they do. it is in their blood and dna. there is no hope for them.

#28 Edited by skypilotbinky (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone hates him because he was an alcoholic. Carol was an alcoholic at one point and no one hates her for it. I think you are just setting that up as a strawman so you can ignore the actual legitimate reasons people dislike Iron Man. He is OP or written that way. I vomited several times during AVX. The line about "microscopic telepathic tasers", him easily defeating Magneto, shooting the Phoenix Force out of Hope. GTFO! Iron Man is that asshole that you used to play with on the playground who would make shit up as he went along so he would win. Remember that asshole? That's Tony Stark. The fact that he always acts surprised when SHIELD / HYDRA / Random Villain has his tech (hint, he probably sold it to them at some point) is annoying and another reason why I'm not a big fan of his.

#29 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone hates him because he was an alcoholic. Carol was an alcoholic at one point and no one hates her for it. I think you are just setting that up as a strawman so you can ignore the actual legitimate reasons people dislike Iron Man. He is OP or written that way. I vomited several times during AVX. The line about "microscopic telepathic tasers", him easily defeating Magneto, shooting the Phoenix Force out of Hope. GTFO! Iron Man is that asshole that you used to play with on the playground who would make shit up as he went along so he would win. Remember that asshole? That's Tony Stark. The fact that he always acts surprised when SHIELD / HYDRA / Random Villain has his tech (hint, he probably sold it to them at some point) is annoying and another reason why I'm not a big fan of his.

The major thing that bothered me from AVX was just that. Phoenix is some unstoppable cosmic force that is older than time... how does a dude in a suite shoot it down?

#30 Posted by PunyParker (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: Character envy,and hate towards RDJ.

Also people tend to hate what's becoming popular.

#31 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

It's stupid to hate Tony strictly because of Civil War. Mainly for three reasons:

1. It happened 7 years ago.

2. Tony wasn't the only pro-registration hero, yet people use him as a scapegoat.

3. Tony made good on his promises countless times after, which people fail to acknowledge. Most notably by sacrificing himself and erasing his mind (his greatest asset), all to protect people's secret identities.

The dude was acting for the good of the people. He's a hero.

#32 Edited by PunyParker (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

It's stupid to hate Tony strictly because of Civil War. Mainly for three reasons:

2. Tony wasn't the only pro-registration hero, yet people use him as a scapegoat.

3. Tony made good on his promises countless times after, which people fail to acknowledge. Most notably by sacrificing himself and erasing his mind (his greatest asset), all to protect people's secret identities.

2. He was the leader of the act ,so that's probably why.

He did what he thought was right,yeah,but if Cap didnt die,he would have been worse.....he understood some stuff after that,and became a better person.
And it's stupid to hate a character because of an event or a single story,in general.

#33 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

@extremis said:

He did what he thought was right,yeah,but if Cap didnt die,he would have been worse.....he understood some stuff after that,and became a better person.

And it's stupid to hate a character because of an event or a single story,in general.

Oh i know. But that's why its hypocritical. You have tons of other people literally fighting on the same side of Iron Man yet people so easily forget that. It's silly to direct all your hate at one person because of it. If someone is so opposed to the Superhero Registration Act, it would only make sense to hate everyone else who ardently fights for its existence as well.

I wasn't opposed to it, so I have no problem. But people who cry foul at Tony and hate him strictly for that are being hypocrites if they don't hold the same standard for everyone else. If you hate Tony solely for being pro-registration, you have to hate everyone else for it too (using that logic).

#34 Posted by PunyParker (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@punyparker said:

@extremis said:

Oh i know. But that's why its hypocritical. You have tons of other people literally fighting on the same side of Iron Man yet people so easily forget that. It's silly to direct all your hate at one person because of it. If someone is so opposed to the Superhero Registration Act, it would only make sense to hate everyone else how ardently fights for its existence as well.

We agree.

#35 Edited by Lateralus (1655 posts) - - Show Bio

#36 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by FanboyAsylum (9 posts) - - Show Bio

A better question, why is all criticism of a certain character automatically labelled as hate? You can be critical of a character and point out their flaws while still being their #1 fan. And another thing, people say they love Tony Stark so much because he's flawed, right? So why do those same people constantly jump to his defense and make up excuses for all of his shortcomings, as if he's perfect and he can do no wrong? I'm so confused.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.