When Will IronMan Surpass Thor?

#1 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

With the advances in technology, we have seen IronMan get much more powerful than his first showing...

How many years do you think it will take for IronMan to become more powerful than Thor?

Would Marvel ever allow it?

Shouldn't his reflexes already be superior to Thor because his mind is like a super computer and his armor responds instantly to his mind?

Does IronMan get the bum wrap in comics? Should he be portrayed as an equal to heavy hitters (with his new bleeding edge armor) such as Hulk / Thor / Sentry

Thanks

#2 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, despite Iron Man constantly becoming more powerful, his showings against Thor have consistently been the same.............. what gives?!

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24678 posts) - - Show Bio

Never Iron Man will never surpass Thor

#4 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11127 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Pretty much

#5 Posted by SC (12708 posts) - - Show Bio

From a story telling perspective you could just say that Thor just holds back less each time. Thor as a character was designed to be more powerful. So Marvel will probably stick to that unless his popularity dips dramatically. You can apply similar logic to almost all characters. Why hasn't Thor ever tried to learn magic to become more powerful than Galactus. I mean Galactus is busy eating planets to learn magic. Why hasn't Hulk learned anger management. Why hasn't Iron Man etc why Hasn't Rogue touched everyone. Technology does increase rapidly so true, writers should be careful. Add in that this is a world with time travel and alien technology. Then again Thor and "mystic abilities" is suppose to be plus one. As in the plus one to technology. Its easier to explain things with we don't know.  

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by Billy Batson (57778 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

#7 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- Will he, probably never, Marvel has kept Thor over Iron Man for 40+ years, not likely to change.

- Considering Iron Lad's armor (based on Starks current armor) was shown to one shot Dr Doom and Magneto it is possible one time in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath

#8 Posted by Hawk80 (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Not going to happen...

But wait for a big event having Tony as enemy... only a matter of time.

#9 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

BB

Was just going to post these.
#10 Posted by Billy Batson (57778 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne:

Sure you were :p
BB

#11 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@handsome_stud: Thor's power has fluctuated as much as iron man's, and a lot of Thor's power is also "technology" based in the form of Asgardian magic (or "magitech" if you choose to see it that way).

#12 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

Only in his dreams. 

#13 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Stark wishes he could hold a candle to Thor.

#14 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: PIS :P

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (57778 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24:

IKR?
BB

#16 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Tell that to TGO :p

#17 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see Iron Man surpassing Thor in a What If? or an alternate reality. But not in continuity.

#18 Posted by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawk80 said:

Not going to happen...

It's called Civil War.

#19 Edited by Hawk80 (351 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@Hawk80 said:

Not going to happen...

It's called Civil War.

You should wait for "Stark Tech Gone Wild" or "Iron Man VS Everything"... maybe next year...

:)

#20 Posted by butterflykyss (3914 posts) - - Show Bio

I am going to go with a big NO!

#21 Posted by Acestar101 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

ermmmmm never. ever. remember, iron man had an armor based on the destroyer and still couldnt match thor

#22 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

I know what yall are saying but...

Do you think, logically, he SHOULD surpass Thor eventually? I realize marvel wont ever allow it... but logically speaking....

#23 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@handsome_stud said:

I know what yall are saying but...

Do you think, logically, he SHOULD surpass Thor eventually? I realize marvel wont ever allow it... but logically speaking....

i would still say no bc we dont know the true extent of Asgardian technology. Just because it looks outdated doesnt mean it is. Stark should be considered one of the big heavy hitter on the Avengers but until Stark can siphon off all of Thor's magic and abilities and use them as his own he wont win. I would like to see him create a suit that runs on his newest tech while being able to be boosted in power when around any metas or super beings whether they are magic, gene, or technologically based.

#24 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Never.

#25 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

No Never. if Thor ever used all his godly powers he'd shopw iron man or most of earths mortal heroes what it means to be a god.

#26 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGoldenOne: What issue and series was this.

#27 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheRedRobin96: Thor v3 issue 3.
#28 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

When Ironman completes his PIS machine

#29 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1558 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor's a god. That sums it up for the moment. Currently, Tony hasn't developed technology that can get him to that level, so in terms of power he's not there, but he, Captain America and Thor are all equals among kings anyways.

#30 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

@joshmightbe said:

Pretty much

#31 Posted by Fatalfear (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at a logical point of view it is possible that Stark will be able to beat Thor in a one-on-one fight in the future. Logically speaking Stark is always upgrading his tech and Thor always remains the same. Take into account that Thor hasn't fought Stark with Extremis 2.1 and Extremis is pretty cool. But from a logical point of view, if Stark kept upgrading his armor then eventually he will beat Thor.

#32 Posted by Hoboseid (1022 posts) - - Show Bio

Then he's no longer Ironman, he's a walking deus ex machina that pulls polt device out of his ass like the silverage

#33 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Never will surpass Thor.

#34 Posted by FuZySLiPeRz (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I believe he can. People fail to realize that when Iron man fought Thor in his Thorbuster armor, Thor was king of Asgard, having all of Odin's power. If the Thorbuster wasn't destroyed and had been kept in the Iron Man armory to one day fight a regular Thor, I'm 95% sure it would be able to do its job (Judging by how well it did against King Thor).

Also people are wildly under rating Iron Man. In AvX when Iron Man fought Magneto in his bleeding edge, He syphoned off all of the magnetic/gravitational energy surrounding Jupiter, via satellite relay for his own use. After using all of that power to stomp Magneto he left saying "I guess their's a new master of magnetism in town". I strongly believe the current Iron Man can put up a good fight against Thor, maybe even win.

#35 Posted by Z3RO180 (6322 posts) - - Show Bio

Really since when has iron man been in the same class as thor and sentry. lol

#36 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

It will never happen.

Thor is, always has been and always will be more powerful than Iron Man no matter how many advances he or anyone else has made, is making or will make in science and technology.

#37 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@FuZySLiPeRz said:

Yes I believe he can. People fail to realize that when Iron man fought Thor in his Thorbuster armor, Thor was king of Asgard, having all of Odin's power. If the Thorbuster wasn't destroyed and had been kept in the Iron Man armory to one day fight a regular Thor, I'm 95% sure it would be able to do its job (Judging by how well it did against King Thor).

The Thorbuster armour was designed to siphon off Thor's Asgardian energy/magic to power himself and grant him levels of power sufficient enough to challenge him. That's the only reason he was able to stand up to King Thor.

#38 Posted by Yaujtapool (7577 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure he could, its just that Marvel writers don't want Ironman to surpass the high end mid tier.

Helps keep the character interesting and not bring on the Superman paradox.

#39 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if Iron Man did get the upper hand it will be short lived. Im guessing Spiderman would one hit KO him or BP would arm-bar him first.

#40 Posted by Yaujtapool (7577 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

Even if Iron Man did get the upper hand it will be short lived. Im guessing Spiderman would one hit KO him or BP would arm-bar him first.

#41 Posted by chino1330 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

i would love to see it but it probably wont happen

#42 Edited by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

This, and if he does i would be upset.

#43 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thor's hammmer said:

No Never. if Thor ever used all his godly powers he'd shopw iron man or most of earths mortal heroes what it means to be a god.
#44 Posted by Tony_Shark (457 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is meant to be stronger, but Stark is no chump... He's proven himself worth a full on battle with Thor.

Have you noticed that Iron Man never really gets to go ALL OUT either?

Extremis-depowering anckle when he fought Mandarin, Skrull virus during Secret Invasion, Ultron taking his body in Mighty Avengers, E.M.P when fighting Zeke Stane, R.T. battery crack, etc.

#45 Posted by Blues32 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuzysliperz: Actually, Magneto tried to do the same and felt the devastation Phoenix was causing on its way to Earth. This made him pause, giving Iron Man the chance to defeat him. He was stunned by the power of the Phoenix, felt all the way in space. Left himself wide open for a final blow.

#46 Edited by Ms. Omega (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man surpass Thor.....

#47 Posted by PunyParker (8982 posts) - - Show Bio

Never.....Thor's a God.
Thor can kill him.Preety.Easily.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.