What is the Best Iron Man Armor?

• 103 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 More of these!
Last week, I asked you maniacs to express your preferences in alternate costumes for Cap. MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3 still has a vise-tight grip on my imagination, of course, and with the recent announcement that the Iron Patriot armor will be available as a variant skin for shellhead in the first DLC package, I’m starting to wonder what additional suits could be good choices like that (keeping in mind how palette swaps have already afforded the options of the stealth armor, the silver centurion and a close approximation of the movie’s Mark II suit.) Once again, even if you don’t dig the vidya games, this article's title is a pretty fair question since Iron Man doesn’t really have a definitive look the way Cap or the FF do. 

Suit up and affix your blast shield. Let's starting running through some possibilities...
  == TEASER ==

HULKBUSTER 

I’ve always been tickled by how task-specific this suit is. Tony’s designed unique armors with space travel and underwater adventure in mind, but you can’t get much more particular than one that was engineered to bring the Hulk down, and the Hulk alone. The overall design seems inspired by the Juggernaut 's magic, monolithic armor and that’s a sensible model to emulate, I figure. Obviously, shellhead can't be wearing this all the time - - it's a wee cumbersome and surely a huge battery drain - - but it sends a crystal clear message on the few times he does take it out of the armory. Along that line, I really wish it'd been used Iron Man's hyper combo in the game. I remember seeing a fanmade MVC3 on Mugen a few years back that did just that (and to great effect.)

HEROES RETURN 

Full confession: I’ve got some preference for this suit simply because it debuted right when I was on the cusp of my teens. Still, objectively I think this collaboration between Sean Chen and Alex Ross does a deft job of encompassing many eras of IRON MAN at once. It's sometimes been called the retro suit and that's apt because the overall design's a more streamlined take on the classic Sal Buscema armor with a few futurist touches borrowed from the Jim Lee radical redesign from HEROES REBORN outfit (minus the smokestack exhaust pipes that everybody had a problem with, though.) And I always thought the horizontal power bars looked so cool popping out whenever shellhead was in silhouette.    

MARK II 

There's elegance in simplicity. Conceptually, I get a kick out of how this suit's exactly the same as the one Tony cobbled together while he was a captive in Vietnam (or whatever the latest rectoned location is,) except with an ostentatious gold polish he just had to put on the thing once he got back to society.  

There’s something appealingly retro about the wireless antenna on his shoulder, as well -- transistor were such an out-there concept in the 60s. Seeing as how all subsequent red and gold armors have taken from Sal Buscema’s classic redesign, I think it’d be fun to fashion a new, entirely gold one after this.   

MODULAR 

This was the de facto Iron Man suit for the first part of the 90s; the one that was used in the Capcom games and in the MARVEL ACTION HOUR cartoon the co-starred Force Works. It strikes me as a brawnier revamp of the costume - - the brawler armor, if you will - - with a helmet designed to look like shellhead has an ever-present stiff upper lip.  

The pentagonal design motif looks a bit sturdier than the previous ones patterned around circles and triangles, too, and there’s also the amusing, subtle suggestion that he's wearing a pair of pants instead of the traditional trunks (as those are certainly manlier.)   

This is a really limited sampling, as there’ve been more than 30 armors over the years. From the Extremis armor to the SKIN armor to the Ultimate armor, which one do you Comic Vine maniacs like the most?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

#1 Posted by G-Man (33960 posts) - - Show Bio

Staff
#2 Posted by marvelunivers_deleteme (315 posts) - - Show Bio

the bleeding edge armor

#3 Posted by batmanboy11 (198 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the Extremis and the current armor the best.
#4 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

my top two are extremis and tha new armor

#5 Posted by ivedan (8 posts) - - Show Bio

If not for the Hulkbuster outfit, I'd say the Extremis outfit is my favorite.

#6 Edited by sladewilson30 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

okay if stark still has the shrapnel in his body, why can't he have vision go into ghost mode and remove it

#7 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Id have to say i favor the Modular design myself...

#8 Posted by Chaos Burn (1784 posts) - - Show Bio

can anyone tell me how he actually moves his limbs in the classic suits, i mean they look like stiff plates of armor yet they move normally

#9 Posted by GlitchMaestro (10 posts) - - Show Bio

The Classic mark two would look awesome in MVC3

#10 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

the very first one! 

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man's best and most iconic armor is still this suit. 

Iron Man
#12 Posted by MrFantastic (248 posts) - - Show Bio

War Machine.  Nothing looks badass like war machine...

#13 Posted by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

Extremis.
#14 Edited by War Killer (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite armor is his current one, it's everything Iron Man would have to be in this day and time. Honestly I really don't know what else Tony can do to the armor at this point other than just change the color's and the look every now and then, but other than that, what else can he add to an armor that is skin-tight, hides inside of himself when he's not using it, can transform different areas of the suit into whatever weapon he needs, I mean seriously....

How...

...Can you beat...

...This?!? ^_^
#15 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13129 posts) - - Show Bio

war machine or bleeding ege would be best for the game
#16 Posted by rmanthorp (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I my favorite ending in mvc3 (tough picks I know >.>) was IronMan for the little tease you get of a potential "Galatus Buster" armor that just look so rad! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-0fYY2SQk

#17 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@batmanboy11: 

I concur.  I like the Iron Patriot also.
#18 Posted by Sticky_Venom (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Hypervelocity Armor.  It was the best armors next to Extremist and the current suit.  In fact, it was hinted that he built this one at the same time as Extremist but that it was lost due to the craziness that followed its activation.
#19 Posted by Deadcool (6810 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man suit #6
#20 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally like the one during the civil war era...but i really like the iron patriot suit
#21 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

HULKBUSTER!!!! 

#22 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite has to be the Ultimate  Iron Man armor!

#23 Posted by War Killer (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Does the Iron Patriot look even really count as one of Tony's armor's? I know there was that one What If? story, but really doesn't the armor belong more to Osborn's different looks rather than Iron Man's?

#24 Edited by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

This ONE!

HELL YAHHHH

#25 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13129 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer:
no one said it was one of  Tony's looks. 

#26 Edited by doublezeroduck (98 posts) - - Show Bio

This 

#27 Posted by Tytan99 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

hulkbuster rules
#28 Posted by playdohsrepublic (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Extremis and the classic Red & Gold are my personal favorites. Though I pooped myself the first time I saw Iron Man suit #6.
#29 Posted by tbpinkfloyd (126 posts) - - Show Bio

With the current suit, he literally is Iron Man inside AND out! So that's the obvious answer!    

#30 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio
@marvelunivers said:
" the bleeding edge armor "
Yup, yup. Bleeding Edge followed by Extremis. 
#31 Posted by CraigWayne (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say that the Bleeding Edge is the best armor to date.Extremis & the Neo Classic Red & Gold are the best also
#32 Posted by DKing_CiCADA (340 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the new one the design is just awesome, im also a fan of the stealth suit and classic suit

#33 Posted by Night Thrasher (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

Extremis and Heroes Reborn

#34 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

in this order  

Bleeding edge 
Extremis 
Hulkbuster

#35 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the look of Bleeding Edge, I love the concept of the Thorbuster armor, I love the more realistic look of the ultimate suit, but my favorite by far is the classic armor

Mk V - first seen in Iron Man v1 #85
#36 Posted by NexusOfLight (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

Bleeding Edge all the way.

#37 Posted by Silkcuts (5272 posts) - - Show Bio
@GT-Man said:
"     

This ONE!

HELL YAHHHH "
Love it!
#38 Posted by oldgum (326 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna see a set of Mandalorian Iron Man Armor, if you understand LOL.

#39 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite actually is the original Mark I armor.  Something about that tin can was just a lot of fun. 
The Extremis armor is pretty iconic at this point, so that one's also really great in my opinion.

#40 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Bleeding Edge Armor
2. Ultimate Armor (circa Ultimates 1 & 2)
3. War Machine
4. Hulkbuster
5. Extremis

#41 Posted by Project_Worm (3405 posts) - - Show Bio

The Prometheum armor and the Experimental safe armor. 
Hell Yeah!!

#42 Posted by Thunder_X (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Hands down for me it's got to be either The Hulkbuster or War machine

#43 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Modular, cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurbstomp

#44 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer:
nice tech there.
#45 Posted by Full_Spectrum (1539 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie suitcase armor (i just like watching it unfold) 
Bleeding Edge
Extremis
Thorbuster
Silver Centurion

in that order.

#46 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
" My favorite armor is his current one, it's everything Iron Man would have to be in this day and time. Honestly I really don't know what else Tony can do to the armor at this point other than just change the color's and the look every now and then, but other than that, what else can he add to an armor that is skin-tight, hides inside of himself when he's not using it, can transform different areas of the suit into whatever weapon he needs, I mean seriously....

How...

...Can you beat...

...This?!? ^_^
"
Tony will eventually become the suit full time. He'll be a metal blob that can morph into any shape at any time and form any weapons. The final evolution of Iron Man at this rate will be a T-1000.
:P
#47 Edited by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate armor.

Ultimate
#48 Posted by Emerald Dragonfly (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Marks I, II and III.

#49 Posted by leokearon (1803 posts) - - Show Bio

Silver Centurion 
Heroes Reborn 
Neo Classic 
Orginal Grey bucket of bolts
#50 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

bleeding edge armor

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.