Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11205 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Was Iron Man 3 really that bad?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I see an awful lot of criticism of Iron Man 3 on the vine and it has its faults, but I feel it also has a lot to commend it. I mean its hardly Batman or Robin and it is still the highest grossing CBM involving a single hero, so it hardly failed. I guess the Mandarin really upset the traditionalists and I understand that, but was it that bad really? I mean I watch it over Iron Man 2, which I found quite boring.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

box office =/= quality

I don't give a crap about being Faithful to mandarin or not. What pissed me off was they spent so much time making Kingsley a good villain, then destroyed it for the sake of a stupid joke. And its not like the "twist" wasn't expected either. We all knew Pearce was going to be a bad guy.

Plus, and although this is far more minor for me personally. Iron Patriot is stupid and War Machine is badass. The fact that Tony was making fun of it the whole time even irked me more because I felt like they were trying to joke at themselves only failed miserably.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It wasn't good; that's for sure.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it isn't. People have been placing it on Catwoman level of bad.

Beata

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Even ignoring the Mandarin change (which I was already prepared for and tried to not let it ruin the experience) it's the one Marvel studios film I did not like at all. Not as bad as Man of Steel or Amazing Spider-Man 2, but around that level of disappointment.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

The whole film was badly constructed and poorly executed with elements being borderline patronising to the audience. Marvel know they have messed up by the 'All hail the King' one shot that is the first steps of a delicate turn around to get things to where everyone thought/ hoped they would be.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kramotz said:

It wasn't good; that's for sure.

No, it isn't. People have been placing it on Catwoman level of bad.

Beata

I don't think anything can be that bad, lmao

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Based on the trailers, people (like me) went into the theaters expecting something other than what we ended up with getting.

For starters, the trailers made it look like the Ten Rings and a real Madarin was going to appear in it and Tony would be fighting terrorists. Thats great, especially in our time where terrorists are the scum of the earth and doing something serious with the Mandarin would have been a prize for those of us who thought the Ten Rings were largely wasted in the first movie. And for the first half of he movie, it looked like that would be what we'd get... and then the Twist came. (Can anyone say they really gave two shits about Killitch and his past with Tony before it?)

Secondly it just seemed like we were back with pre-IM Tony from the first movie, a slightly intolerable and insensitive douchebag that has to find his way again. A story seen a few months prior in Dark Knight Rises that just did it better.

Third... a flipping kid-sidekick that proves why Bale didn't want a Robin, because he was annoying.

Lastly, in all honesty, much like Depp/Sparrow, I think people grew bored with Downy Jr.'s antics on screen, it's fun the first time, but its worn thin by the 3rd movie and not helped by the rather stiff recurring cast, which saved the part in Avengers (new people to bounce it off).

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it alot, more than Iron Man 2. The plot twist did not bother me, I actually prefer movies that distinguish themselves from the books. The tie to terrorism and current events gave a chilling tie into real life. The Mach 42 was so crappy, it did annoy me and the Iron Patriot being captured so easily was weak. That kept it from being a top notch film for me. I love Happy asking everyone for the badge, lol

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
    TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I see an awful lot of criticism of Iron Man 3 on the vine and it has its faults, but I feel it also has a lot to commend it. I mean its hardly Batman or Robin and it is still the highest grossing CBM involving a single hero, so it hardly failed. I guess the Mandarin really upset the traditionalists and I understand that, but was it that bad really? I mean I watch it over Iron Man 2, which I found quite boring.

Of course not! It's a wonderful film and at a 9.5/10 - the only reason I'm not rating it a 10/10 is because of the Mandarin twist...

- TAS

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I didn't enjoy it

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

It was adequate, I suppose.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, yes it really is that bad.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it was just awful... That's coming from the biggest Iron Man fanboy you'll ever meet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie felt like some underhanded attempt to mock the character by someone who could care less about working on an Iron Man movie outside of being paid. We see the destruction of the Tony/Iron Man character who goes from a badass to a pussy who has panic attacks and has his girlfriend stop the main threat of the film, from a mad genius to an incompetent goof that builds a defective suit that fails at almost every damn turn (He is not Justin Hammer!). He is out of character running around with the silly super-spy shtick, it's like the director wanted to cram his own movie in the middle of two parts of the Iron Man movie he grudgingly worked on, all together making a sh*t sandwich. Ben Kingsley was wasted beyond belief, Killian is yet again just another failed-rival character for Tony, like most Marvel films it's poorly written and filled with enough plot holes/inconsistencies/nonsense to make Micheal Bay blush. It has some hints of goodness, but still, a very lame movie that leaves you shaking your head ta the end. It's hard to compare this and Iron Man 2 because this doesn't even feel like an Iron Man movie, so I can't say which one was better, but i can say this one was the bigger disappointment and less entertaining to boot.

GhostPirateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was like watching a Fox superhero movie. It was that bad.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

These videos do justice.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. I think people where just disappointing with the handling of the Mandarin.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was tony stark rather than iron man

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It was bad.

CurlyInsaneGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CurlyInsaneGuy

I liked it, but it definitely had some problems.
    I actually liked the whole panic attack thing, too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.