Ultimate Iron Man: The Sloppiest continuity in 1610?

#1 Posted by Onemoreposter (3934 posts) - - Show Bio

Any fan of the Ultimate Universe know's it's had it's share of sloppy continuity and retcon's. First thing that Springs to mind is most of the Ultimate Team Up series which was one of the debut comic lines for 1610 was retconned. Then you have things like Van Damme's cloven feet and reversed legs being forgotten about, along with the fact that it's explicitly said and proven that he is the physical superior to Ben Grimm only to have Ben later beat him to death. I could go on for a while about all the little things retconned, changed, or forgotten about in the ultimate universe. I think though, most of all, Iron Man has gotten the short end of the stick.

Love the books or hate them, Iron Man had two entire volumes of "origin" story retconned. Along with them Stark's superhuman healing which was featured in awesome stories like Ultimate Human seems to be gone as well. He had his unique 1610 armor design forgotten about for years. Now it seems they've forgotten his name. Since his debut his name has been Antonio Stark in the Ultimateverse, not Anthony. However, with Ultimate Comics Iron Man I, it seems they've forgotten even this. It saddens me. That said I did enjoy the first issue of Ultimate Comics Iron Man. Just wanted to rant about how I wished they'd keep his continuity a bit tighter.

#2 Posted by Tony_Shark (457 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Any fan of the Ultimate Universe know's it's had it's share of sloppy continuity and retcon's. First thing that Springs to mind is most of the Ultimate Team Up series which was one of the debut comic lines for 1610 was retconned. Then you have things like Van Damme's cloven feet and reversed legs being forgotten about, along with the fact that it's explicitly said and proven that he is the physical superior to Ben Grimm only to have Ben later beat him to death. I could go on for a while about all the little things retconned, changed, or forgotten about in the ultimate universe. I think though, most of all, Iron Man has gotten the short end of the stick.

Love the books or hate them, Iron Man had two entire volumes of "origin" story retconned. Along with them Stark's superhuman healing which was featured in awesome stories like Ultimate Human seems to be gone as well. He had his unique 1610 armor design forgotten about for years. Now it seems they've forgotten his name. Since his debut his name has been Antonio Stark in the Ultimateverse, not Anthony. However, with Ultimate Comics Iron Man I, it seems they've forgotten even this. It saddens me. That said I did enjoy the first issue of Ultimate Comics Iron Man. Just wanted to rant about how I wished they'd keep his continuity a bit tighter.

The "origin" series was non-cannon. Which was BS, but whatever. I still enjoy Ultimate Stark

#3 Posted by Dernman (14726 posts) - - Show Bio
@Onemoreposter said:

Any fan of the Ultimate Universe know's it's had it's share of sloppy continuity and retcon's. First thing that Springs to mind is most of the Ultimate Team Up series which was one of the debut comic lines for 1610 was retconned. Then you have things like Van Damme's cloven feet and reversed legs being forgotten about, along with the fact that it's explicitly said and proven that he is the physical superior to Ben Grimm only to have Ben later beat him to death. I could go on for a while about all the little things retconned, changed, or forgotten about in the ultimate universe. I think though, most of all, Iron Man has gotten the short end of the stick.

Love the books or hate them, Iron Man had two entire volumes of "origin" story retconned. Along with them Stark's superhuman healing which was featured in awesome stories like Ultimate Human seems to be gone as well. He had his unique 1610 armor design forgotten about for years. Now it seems they've forgotten his name. Since his debut his name has been Antonio Stark in the Ultimateverse, not Anthony. However, with Ultimate Comics Iron Man I, it seems they've forgotten even this. It saddens me. That said I did enjoy the first issue of Ultimate Comics Iron Man. Just wanted to rant about how I wished they'd keep his continuity a bit tighter.

I forget where they said it but the original series was later said to have been a TV show within the Ult. Universe. Though even now they are showing inconsistencies. Mainly around Tony's brother and who runs the company.
#4 Edited by Onemoreposter (3934 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tony_Shark said:

The "origin" series was non-cannon. Which was BS, but whatever. I still enjoy Ultimate Stark

@Dernman said:

I forget where they said it but the original series was later said to have been a TV show within the Ult. Universe. Though even now they are showing inconsistencies. Mainly around Tony's brother and who runs the company.

Right, but Ultimate Iron Man started off as canon, just like Ultimate Team-Up did. It stayed in continuity all the way up until Ultimate Comics: Avengers back in 2009 (almost positive). Your right about the inconsistencies though, which is pretty much what this post was about. Ultimate Toni has more of his history forgotten and retconned than any other Ultimate character. It just not right :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.