Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Tony Stark’s a Jerk: 5 Developments from SUPERIOR IRON MAN #1

• 71 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

With the changes happening in certain Avengers titles (such as THOR and ALL-NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA), Iron Man is also facing some changes. Spilling out of AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS, Scarlet Witch and Doctor Doom unleashed an Inversion Spell in order to stop the Red Skull (with Onslaught’s powers) as well as other villains. The problem is, this has had an affect on some heroes as well. They’re not acting quite so…heroic.

Tony Stark is a brilliant and arrogant man. He’s constantly pushing his intellect to accomplish big things. Now it appears he’s taking it to the people. The question is, will the changes he’s going through have a positive or negative impact. (We discussed the changes from AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #4 HERE, which leads into this issue).

In SUPERIOR IRON MAN #1, by Tom Taylor with art by Yildiray Cinar, we saw Tony Stark is kind of acting like a big jerk. Check out some of these changes and why you’ll want to pick up the issue. There will be some spoilers for the issue below.

Tony Stark Sometimes Fights by Remote

No Caption Provided

We've see Tony operate his armor by remote control before, even in the movies. Seems like a pretty cool thing to do. But if you think about it, it doesn't seem like the best idea. Is he able to give the action his full attention? Is he full aware of his surroundings and any innocent bystanders? What happens if he's distracted wherever he's operating the suit from?

When a new villain, going by the name of Teen Abomination, starts smashing up San Francisco, Tony joins She-Hulk in the action. When Iron Man's head was knocked off, it was clear Tony wasn't even there. He didn't feel "Teen Abomination" was worth actually showing up. Instead, he was at the pool, with a beverage and some female company.

She-Hulk wasn't too happy not being aware he wasn't really there. He was also pretty cold to her, leaving the clean up and dealing with the authorities to Jennifer.

Tony is Drinking Again

No Caption Provided

Tony is a recovering alcoholic. He shouldn't be drinking. We even saw him talk to his drink, which was a little disturbing. Mix that with his intellect and new outlook on things, you know it can't be a good combination.

Pepper Potts flew out to San Francisco to try to find out what he was thinking with releasing the Extremis App. While he was at the pool, he kept Pepper waiting an hour before going to talk to her. He's even working on a new armor while drinking.

No Caption Provided

Sounds like it's pretty innovative and sophisticated but how safe will it be to Tony and the public? With all the firepower his suits usually have, it seems the slightest miscalculation could end really badly for Tony and anyone around him.

Extremis App Has Created a New Underclass

No Caption Provided

The Extremis App was released via smartphones. It automatically downloaded on them and people were able to use it to become perfect. They could have the appearance they dreamed of and wouldn't have to worry about aging or looking...unattractive. This sounds pretty cool, right?

What about those that don't have smartphones? It seems like most people these days do but there are plenty that don't want one or simply can't afford one. In this issue, we see a group of pretty people getting rough with those that haven't used the Extremis App. This soon leads into the next development.

There's a Big Catch to Using the Extremis App

No Caption Provided

Those people roughing up the homeless person and those hanging out by Tony's pool soon learn there is a price to pay for using the app.

"I won't make a lot of money giving things away for free, and I plan to make a lot of money." - Tony Stark

When things are too good to be true, they usually are. Tony will be charging for further use of the Extremis App. In some ways, it's like he's unleashed a drug upon the citizens of San Francisco. Now that they've had a taste for perfection, will they pay what he's asking? If they are willing, what will they do in order to be able to continue paying?

Pepper Enlists a Mysterious Person to Stop Tony

Pepper is aware how bad things have gotten. This is something that has been discussed before. She refers to this as the "Nightmare Scenario." In order to activate some contingency that has been developed by...someone, she enlists the add of someone.

No Caption Provided

Who is this shadowy person? Is it who you think it is? Probably not. The last page, which we will not spoil here, has a pretty big shock. You'll look at it and yell, "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?"

Needless to say, we're hooked on this new direction. It may not be the Iron Man we're used to but that's part of what makes this fun and intriguing. You'll want to see what happens next and whether or not Tony can be stopped. We know he's incredibly brilliant. His mind may be a little tainted but can he be stopped?

Thankfully we only have to wait until November 26 to find out. Be sure to pick up this issue to see everything else that happened.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

lol, dat title :)

I think Marvel did the fight thing giving this to Tom Taylor. I hate what he did with Earth-2, but outside of that he's a great writer, and this type of series is right up his alley. Can't wait to see where this series is going. Also I'm calling it now, Ultron is somehow connected to all of this.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

And that's right, he-he.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That shadow figure Pepper is talking to maybe T'Challa or Daredevil?

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Now THIS is the Iron Man I know and love!

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Is it who you think it is? Probably not. The last page, which we will not spoil here, has a pretty big shock. You'll look at it and yell, "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?"")))

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking Panther too, but the silhouette was too obvious. I'm thinking the points that look like ears are... from one of Iron Mans earlier model facemasks.

Although after this article I'm seriously thinking of buying this.

Hagnarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's all right...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Well, everyone knew already that Tony was a jerk, and he's always been a jerk and a jerk with a superiority complex now in full bloom.

Sadly I dont think Hulk is going to show up and clobber some sense back into him this time. This time it seems to be T'Challa (Daredevil can only fight him in a court).

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Carnage is now a good guy, Tony is now a bad guy...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vandersexxx said:

I was thinking Panther too, but the silhouette was too obvious. I'm thinking the points that look like ears are... from one of Iron Mans earlier model facemasks.

Although after this article I'm seriously thinking of buying this.

In this reverso world... Zeke Stane perhaps? (if he is still alive that is?)

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@armiv2 said:

So Carnage is now a good guy, Tony is now a bad guy...

Axis explains why.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rev_sulphur

I want it to be the old Captain America in the Iron-Man suit.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now, I love Tony Stark/IM- I'm going to say that ahead of time(& hate seeing him turned into a jerk, AGAIN- & become an alcoholic, AGAIN, though I know it has to do with the whole Axis flip-flop dealy-o); but this will probably be the next award Tony Stark receives:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comics community is the only place I see the word 'jerk' still being used.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

This is not the 616 Tony Stark. It's the Iron Maniac Tony Stark.

redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By redmanta

if bc are right something shocking will happen to Daredevil soon

he will gain his sight

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's Daredevil...

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it´s Daredevil because he appeared early on the issue because he lives in San Francisco. Also because the silhouette and the eyes colored red, looks too much like Daredevil. Also because Black Panther Won´t be using a old armor of Tony to fight him.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also because Black Panther Won´t be using a old armor of Tony to fight him.

To be fair, BP doesn't need to be wearing anything but his own suit to look like the silhouette.

But might I add that it makes a certain amount of sense that Pepper would ask one of Tony's few intellectual rivals that also has a knack with inventions to have someone ready 'just in case' Tony goes south.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Given the cynical world view of marvel if Tony's not being a villain marvel doesn't know how to write him. Kinda surprised Tony didn't hit Jen on the head or dowse her with nanites and then drag her into a bed somewhere.

Then again he's already had her that way and it might be a case of 'been there done that' and Jen obviously didn't mind because she never did anything about it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I think it's Black Panther. If the Avengers are Marvel's Justice League, then Iron Man and Panther are their Green Arrow and Hawkman.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

i never kept up with the previous Iron Man book. Is his long lost brother still around? if so I could see this being him stepping up and trying to stop Tony

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually looks good. Im glad to see they expandings Tony's armor Based off of the scourge symbiote. I always thought that would have been a good plot device. Im pretty interested to see what this armor can do. I also like this Jerk of Tony stark. He is acting more realistic in the sense of he actually reminds me of a few people i know. Lol.......They are intelligent people, they just like to drink too much and all the time. LOL

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck: My guess is that's the real Iron Man. Like he's been cloned or replaced by someone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is kinda disappointing. I've never been much of a fan of Tony but I've always liked that he's a recovering alcoholic. It kinda showed his willpower and the fact that he wasn't willing to beaten by it. Added a tenacious spark to him which is in line with his character. However now it seems more like a gimmick. Not very fun.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By meatwadf

This is kinda disappointing. I've never been much of a fan of Tony but I've always liked that he's a recovering alcoholic. It kinda showed his willpower and the fact that he wasn't willing to beaten by it. Added a tenacious spark to him which is in line with his character. However now it seems more like a gimmick. Not very fun.

In all fairness, all alcoholics fall off the wagon every now and then. I had similar thoughts to you at first, but then I remembered a couple of recovering alcoholics I know in real life, and this really rang true to me. It doesn't always take much to push them off, either. Things start going well for them, and they decide to celebrate. Just the one drink, and there they go again. Maybe things are going bad, a death in the family or something small like a bad day at work, and they just need a drink or two to help with the pain, and they're off. It sucks to see this happen to Tony, but it feels real to me, sadly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@meatwadf: True. It would be nice for Tony to maybe admit it first and we get a glimpse of him trying to get back on the wagon. It would be a great showing for the character.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: True. It would be nice for Tony to maybe admit it first and we get a glimpse of him trying to get back on the wagon. It would be a great showing for the character.

I would like to see that. Would be great fodder for some solid writing and character development.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Scourge

Did no one else read this issue? All I keep seeing are a bunch of theories on who it might be

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@vandersexxx:

It Possibel that is Daredevil because next issues they will fight and daredevil is the 99% while Iron Man is the 1%.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@vandersexxx:

It Possibel that is Daredevil because next issues they will fight and daredevil is the 99% while Iron Man is the 1%.

It's uncle Ben, duh!

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Whelp... Now we can safely say that at this point THIS is Tony's theme song

Loading Video...

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By slade_wilson

@cave_duck: Thinking the same thing about it looking like one of his old masks

No way it's DD, that's too obvious

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn I knew i should have bought this.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

ive read it and it scared the sh!t out of me... the shadow figure... i need to know more... he/she/it seems to have their own train of thought and the contingency that they have cant be good. the shadow figure isnt someone with the bestest of morals...

Tony's life might be in real danger, even with Pepper helping

rollingshadow7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rollingshadow7

What especially made me like this issue was that Extremis 3.0 and the elements surrounding it seems like an exaggerated metaphor for our current societal patterns - not to get all analytic, but it was a refreshing plot element.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fil123

someone spoil the last page for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its daredevil hes got his own series where iron man is one of his "villains"

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Tony always been a jerk so i fail to see the point, but at least before he was a good jerk.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Pepper enlists a shadowy man with pointy ears on his head to enact a contingency plan to deal with a superhero gone bad.........

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@fil123 said:

someone spoil the last page for me!!!!!!!!!!!

It's someone in an old iron man suit with the dual pointed mask

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first, I thought it was Black Panther, but then I saw it was just one of his suits. lol

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah I had no idea what that last page was all about. A great issue all around though

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

It's Batman. Because he's also rich. =P

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Supi

I haven't read the issue but I dare to guess that: It's Iron Man(Tony Stark) from the past to stop his future self(Bendis does the same to X-MEN)Have I gone to far..?

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.