Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11191 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

The 'Iron Man 3' Rumors Have Begun

• 58 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Avengers hasn't even been released yet and the rumors for Iron Man 3 have already begun. That shouldn't be too surprising, especially since Shane Black and Drew Pace have already written the script for the movie.

According to a source, Latino Review mentioned that the plot for the next Iron Man film could deal with the Extremis armor.

No Caption Provided

Apparently this idea comes from the first trailer for The Avengers where Tony and Steve are arguing and the fact that Tony isn't much without the armor. If extremis and the idea of nanobots are used, it could make an interesting story for the next solo Iron Man movie. The execution in live-action format could be the tricky part. Would average movie-goers buy the idea?

At least the story has been adapted as a motion comic and available on DVD and Netflix. This would give non-comic readers a chance to become familiar with the concept before the movie was released. But then again, this is just a rumor for now.

What do you think would be a good storyline for Iron Man 3?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I can't wait for Iron Man 3. I would love to get to see Pepper as Rescue in Iron Man 3. I think that could be cool to see.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kal'smahboi

People will see this movie and love it, regardless of whether Extremis is believable.
    I am people. Long live RDJ.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Loki9876

Extremis with the story of mandarin who want to spread the extremis virus into the atmosphere would be cool.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@Loki9876 said:

Extremis with the story of mandarin who want to spread the extremis virus into the atmosphere would be cool.

Yes, that would be awesome. But above all, Mandarin needs to be the villain. He needs to get his due.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

looks cool. I hope they do it.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Mucklefluga

Mandarin pleeeaaassseee

Baconbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Baconbot

@TheGreyOutcastX said:

@Loki9876 said:

Yes, that would be awesome. But above all, Mandarin needs to be the villain. He needs to get his due.

Came here to post something like this. Mandarin would be great.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By X35

Madame Masque dammit. :(

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mega_spidey01

cool. i enjoy the iron man motion comics extremis armor is badass.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By GothamRed

mandarin please

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Baddamdog

Seeing as Iron Man: Extremis is the TPB the promote the most when coming to reading up on Iron Man, this isn't surprising. Sounds intriguing.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#12  Edited By The Impersonator

@Loki9876 said:

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Or35ti

Extremis would be extremely awesome :)

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Adnan

Problem with Mandarin is the guy's name, I guess.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deadpool25mm

well as long as they dont put Crimson Dynamo, for some reason i got the feeling they would. but Extremis sounds cool,

but first things first : AVENGERS !

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By SavageDragon

Iron Man 2 was a bust....

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

If they're going to go in that direction with the character, might as well go all the way with the Bleeding-Edge armor as it would make way more sense as Tony would have the armor on/in him at all times and the special effects would look epic as the suit forms upon his body. As for if movie goers will buy it, if they can buy lightsabers, Green Power Rings, stuff from Harry Potter, and any thing else that people should be going "yeah, riiiight" every time they see it on screen, then they can believe Tony Stark could make an armor that lives inside his body.

So yeah, I think they should just go ahead and go with the current armor...

Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Everyman011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Everyman011

After looking at both this article and the original source... the whole thing is a huge load of BS. On here it says Latino review said it was Extremis in IM3. When you watch the video on their site, the guy in the video states that his anonymous source was only someone who watched the test screening of the Avengers film in NY and quotes the aliens as 'dangerous'. The guy in the video, who is the guy from Latino Review, states that he believes it must be Extremis in IM3 because of the dangerous aliens in Avengers. Let's stop letting people trick us into believing everything we read on the net is real. That's not enough reasoning to believe for a second IM3 has anything to do with Extremis.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By evilvegeta74

@War Killer: I agree110%!

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By elayem98

@War Killer said:

As for if movie goers will buy it, if they can buy lightsabers, Green Power Rings, stuff from Harry Potter, and any thing else that people should be going "yeah, riiiight" every time they see it on screen, then they can believe Tony Stark could make an armor that lives inside his body.

Well Lightsabers and green power rings are alien, and harry potter is magic, but (i dont read iron man so i may be wrong) but if extremis is technology, not alien tech or magic, then it is hard to believe.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#21  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @elayem98 said:

@War Killer said:

As for if movie goers will buy it, if they can buy lightsabers, Green Power Rings, stuff from Harry Potter, and any thing else that people should be going "yeah, riiiight" every time they see it on screen, then they can believe Tony Stark could make an armor that lives inside his body.

Well Lightsabers and green power rings are alien, and harry potter is magic, but (i dont read iron man so i may be wrong) but if extremis is technology, not alien tech or magic, then it is hard to believe.

Not really, the man has already built an suit of armor that can fire lasers out of his hands, fly, and do all kinds of things that even today's technology can't do. The fact of the matter is that I think it's silly and a bit pointless to worry if people are going to "believe" this stuff, it's fiction, it's not real so it doesn't matter. I just don't think people should let the realistic rules of the real world ruin the whole fact of things that are made up in things like comic books. They're not real, they're not possible (at least in our life time), and yeah they're pretty far fetch...but hey, if it looks awesome and "sounds" like it could be possible, then just forgot about things being "realistic" and just enjoy it for what it is. If people can't get past that, then how could you ever expect those same people to read comic books?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By sora_thekey

The Extremis story arc would be an awesome story for the third movie! Do it!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

An Extremis story would only satisfy the needs of the fanboy and the one familiar with Iron Man lore...it will not go over well with the average moviegoer who will just shake their head at all the complexities. I mean, for my sake it would be great to cover, even if personally I believe the next story for the next movie should be a modernized rendition of Armor Wars. Again, just to satisfy the fan in me.

cracker_jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cracker_jack

I like this rumor so I choose to believe it.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By King Quisling

I read that Namor is a possible villain for IM3 and that it'll feel like a direct sequel to The Avengers. Supposedly he'll be dealing with an enemy/conflict that arises in Avengers. Leading many, myself including, to believe Loki's army is actually Atlanteans.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd actually prefer to see the Demon in a Bottle storyline myself.

Avatar image for mp_simonwilliams
    MP_SimonWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MP_SimonWilliams

Not buying the Extremis rumor for many of the previously stated reasons. (Maybe as an aspect of the story, but not the whole movie.) I read a story a long time ago where Robert Downey was quoted as saying that the script for IM3 was one of the best, most well-written scripts he had ever read.....not just for a super-hero movie, but including all genres of movies. He said that Avengers was for the fans and a fun movie, yet IM3 is going to be a great "movie, movie." While maybe a tad self-serving, it was awhile ago and I can't imagine Extremis being the story he's referring to for a third movie. (They did the virus on the neck thing in IM2 and hinted about the Ten Rings terrorist organization in IM1.) And "Armor Wars" would be too similar for what Justin Hammer tried to do in IM2.

Also, I'm not a big fan of doing live-action movies based off stories they're already doing a lot with on other products (animated DVDs, motion comics, specialty comics, cartoon series, etc)...which is why I'd be mad if the aliens in the Avengers was the Chitauri (Ultimate Avengers and Ultimates), that would be just too repetitive. While the mainstream public doesn't know them, the hard-cores have already seen that story. You can write better and more original for big-time, blockbuster motion pictures.

Now, Atlanteans and Namor in Avengers/IM3? I hadn't heard that particular rumor and THAT gets my inner fanboy nerd all riled up and would be amazing.

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Red Rum

The Mandarin should be the main villain, but if they aren't going to go with alien technology, even though it was established in Thor and the Avengers, make the rings' power more symbolic, like the keys to a doomsday weapon.

After that, Iron Man still needs an armored baddie to match his power and bring a challenge, like Titanium Man.

PeterParked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PeterParked

I think it's interesting and would definitely watch it regardless of extremis or not, but i can just imagine Robert Downy Jr. explaining/bragging the armour capabilities every now and then.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mattwing87

I hope the villain is The Crimson Dynamo!!!

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#31  Edited By thatlad

Latino review has been printing bullshit marvel rumours for about 5 years now, please stop giving them hits

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DanialCarroll

I have my doubts that they would go that route, mostly because it would involve a lot of explanation and setup, whereas sequels prefer to get straight into the action. I don't read Iron Man myself, so I couldn't say which villain or which storyline I'd like to see them utilise.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#33  Edited By StarKiller809

I really liked Iron Man and I hope that this film is good. I really hope they kinda start to downplay the whole everything is involved in this movie things and just concentrate on making a kick ass Iron Man film. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Gambit1024

First Namor rumors and now this? Either way they go, this movie's gonna be awesome.

rouder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rouder

@elayem98: living in modern world must be hard for you, if high technology is something hard to believe for you. We were able to create things like carbon nanotube muscles three years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmS0Q7jTPsk

Granted, it is not used in everyday life, but the progress is being done every day. Things like this are not something far fetched.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sobe Cin

I'm ready to hear about the villain selection Blizzard or Ghost maybe, if they base Ghost on the armored adventures from this past year that would be great, no damn extremis armor, just don't think it will translate well

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

No chance for Extremis being the main focus in IM3. Too hard to adapt to the big-screen, and an audience that includes non-comic readers, would not buy the idea.

I think they should go down Tony's dark road a little bit. The alcoholic Tony. Lord knows they'll probably make an Iron Man 4 just to make money, so why not have 3 deal with Tony's demons? I think its a good storyline that is very adaptable and a large audience will relate with. So many superhero movies lack a human side

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By elayem98

@rouder: no need to get sassy..i just commented on someones post.

im 16, i think i can live in the modern world just fine.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    thephantomstranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope that it's demon in a bottle but they already tried and failed at that in two...eh my faith in RDJ has already been lowered though with Iron Man 2 and Sherlock Holmes 2...

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrinceIMC

Way too early for Extremis. Specialty armors maybe.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Video_Martian

Mandarin BETTER appear in the 3rd movie... -_-

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42  Edited By Deranged Midget

@War Killer said:

If they're going to go in that direction with the character, might as well go all the way with the Bleeding-Edge armor as it would make way more sense as Tony would have the armor on/in him at all times and the special effects would look epic as the suit forms upon his body. As for if movie goers will buy it, if they can buy lightsabers, Green Power Rings, stuff from Harry Potter, and any thing else that people should be going "yeah, riiiight" every time they see it on screen, then they can believe Tony Stark could make an armor that lives inside his body.

So yeah, I think they should just go ahead and go with the current armor...
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25
    Invincible Iron Man #25

Agreed, but from the look of Tony's new armour in the Avengers, it has the same triangular shape( for the core) that the Extremis armour boasted.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By leokearon

I don't want to see Movie Skin Suit

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By kamionero

Bring Force Works! Like the 90s cartoon! F*%K YEAH!

Plus they get to introduce Scarlet Witch bypassing the X-men introduction for the time being since both franchises belong to different studios.

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seraphim84

The whole "I'm not strong enough to defeat enemy X. I need an upgrade" Was not only half of the plot of the second movie, but also a tired and contrived plot for any superhero medium. Makes it easy to show the good guy beat up early and effortlessly win at the end.

Gimmie something with some meat, Marvel.

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By BritishMonkey

i kinda doubt there will be extremis armour, maybe current armour but not extremis

i remember hearing joss whedon saying about the chest piece in avengers "go with the circle, because the triangle is ass. circle has meaning, triangle does not"

so it'd be a little odd to chop and change going from circle to triangle to circle and back to triangle again and have no consistency.... sorta

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SmoothJammin

none of Iron Man's rogues are particularly stellar.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ThomasElliot

Mandarin was hinted at in the first movie anyway.

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By maxicere

Mandarin and Fin Fang Foom!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.