Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11197 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Sneak Peek! More Iron Man 2 Movie Images!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Boxing?
    Boxing?
    Maybe it was because I loved the first Iron Man film so much, (I saw it two times in the theater...I hardly ever do that...) but the more images I see of the upcoming film, the more excited I get! Entertainment Weekly seemed to get the full exclusive on the preview images before Comic Con in San Diego next week, and in the latest issue of their magazine, we got to check out some of the very first images of Gwyneth Paltrow as ' Pepper Potts,' Tony's assistant/on again off again girlfriend, Sam Rockwell as ' Justin Hammer,' and Don Cheadle who replaced Terrance Howard as Col. James 'Rhodey' Rhodes. If I had to guess, I would say that much like the various race track images we had seen previously, I think these images are also taken from the same scene. Looks to me like Tony Stark is going to court, and I have a feeling it's because of Justin Hammer! The final two images of Cheadle and Downey Jr. are courtesy of firstshowing.net. What do you guys think? Are you excited to see Don Cheadle as Col. Rhodes or did you like Terrence Howard? Are you looking forward to seeing Justin Hammer's debut? 

Paltrow as 'Pepper Potts' faces off against Downey's 'Tony Stark'
    Paltrow as 'Pepper Potts' faces off against Downey's 'Tony Stark'

Cheadle as 'Rhodes' with Rockwell in background as 'Justin Hammer'
    Cheadle as 'Rhodes' with Rockwell in background as 'Justin Hammer'

Downey as 'Stark' and Cheadle as 'Rhodes'
    Downey as 'Stark' and Cheadle as 'Rhodes'
    HarryF25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HarryF25

i really hope this is good, I'll wait until i have seen it to make up my mind but it does have potential

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MrDirector786

I'd like to know what exactly went on between him and Hammer to bring them to court. Personally, I wished that Howard was Rhodes, but we'll see how good Cheadle is.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jefprice
    @MrDirector786 said:
    " I'd like to know what exactly went on between him and Hammer to bring them to court. Personally, I wished that Howard was Rhodes, but we'll see how good Cheadle is. "
    I like Cheadle Sooooo much better.

Looks great.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Love the big fat cigar... I miss Marvel characters smoking.  Looking forward to this!!

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#5  Edited By HaloKing343

Cool pics

Avatar image for the_crimson_nutcase
    The Crimson Nutcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Howard better than Cheadle

Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
    Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

I wonder if the reason Tony's doing all these sports (boxing, racing) has something to do with him trying to get an extreme workout without arousing suspicion? It looks like he's having fun and maintains his billionaire playboy image without leaving people wondering why he's getting this training.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jefprice

I really think Cheadle is the better actor of the two. Having seen almost every film from both, Cheadle has a much wider array of performances. It's sad that people only know him from Oceans 11-13 and thing that may be the limit of his ability. Howard also acts like a cocky son of a gun, which drops him down quite a bit in my book. Where as Cheadle is normally nice and polite.All one has too do is rent about 3 movies from each and you can see the range of Cheadle and the predictability of Howard. 

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

I liked Terrence Howard better as Rhodes,but I can't wait to see this movie.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jefprice

Can anyone really say we like one over the other in this part, when we have all yet to see Cheadle in it?

Omg chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Omg chris

war machine

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chaos Agent

Is it me or seeing a new Rhodey really feels strange?

Venom=sickest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Venom=sickest

I just gotta say this...

Am I the only one who is amazed at how good Downey looks at his age? Isn't he pushing 45 or somesh!t? Looks like a spring chicken!

Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Citizen 14

hmmm. I'm not sure how I feel about a new Rhodes, but the movie and Tony looks great so far.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Captain13

I like Cheadle and I think he can do wonders with the role, but I don't like the fact that they just changed actors like that.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DH69

wow didnt know who cheadle was until i heard he was in iron man II didnt know what he looked like until now...gotta say terrence howard looks much better only problem was his voice, if war machine burst thru my wall and started talkin with his voice i would laugh my ass off

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Adam Michaels

@Anderson: Agent of SMITH said:

"I wonder if the reason Tony's doing all these sports (boxing, racing) has something to do with him trying to get an extreme workout without arousing suspicion? It looks like he's having fun and maintains his billionaire playboy image without leaving people wondering why he's getting this training. "

I don't know why he would need to conceal it from everyone since he admitted to the public that he's Iron Man in the last scene of the first film.

As for Rhodey, I'm one who's excited to see Cheadle take over rather than Howard reprise his role. One minor bother of mine in the first film was Howard as Rhodey. I just couldn't buy him as the character. He failed in making me believe his portrayal. That's something Downey, Paltrow, and Bridges all did that Howard didn't do. At least for me.

Also finding out that he was paid more than the actual stars (especially RDJ) of the film was a shock. Also reading that most of his scenes had to be re-shot because he wasn't doing them right. Favreau wasn't happy with Howard's work. And finally, they were saying that he wasn't a pleasure to work with. Reading all that made me dislike Howard, especially in this film. I couldn't care less about his attitude for other films because comics films are the only ones I get emptionally attached to.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bruce Vain

It's nice to see Happy Hogan's boxing skills in this sequel. I like Cheadle but he just doesn't look like Rhodes to me. I would have rather have had Will Smith at least he's close to Jim's build. Too bad Carl Weathers isn't a young man cause he would've been perfect back in his Action Jackson days.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WARLOCK2792

I love cheadle.  The switch was strange, but at least he's a great actor.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tyler Starke

lol leave it to Favreau to put a boxing scene in his movies, that guy loves him some boxing

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jefprice
    @Adam Michaels said:
    "

"I wonder if the reason Tony's doing all these sports (boxing, racing) has something to do with him trying to get an extreme workout without arousing suspicion? It looks like he's having fun and maintains his billionaire playboy image without leaving people wondering why he's getting this training. "

I don't know why he would need to conceal it from everyone since he admitted to the public that he's Iron Man in the last scene of the first film.

As for Rhodey, I'm one who's excited to see Cheadle take over rather than Howard reprise his role. One minor bother of mine in the first film was Howard as Rhodey. I just couldn't buy him as the character. He failed in making me believe his portrayal. That's something Downey, Paltrow, and Bridges all did that Howard didn't do. At least for me.

Also finding out that he was paid more than the actual stars (especially RDJ) of the film was a shock. Also reading that most of his scenes had to be re-shot because he wasn't doing them right. Favreau wasn't happy with Howard's work. And finally, they were saying that he wasn't a pleasure to work with. Reading all that made me dislike Howard, especially in this film. I couldn't care less about his attitude for other films because comics films are the only ones I get emptionally attached to.

"
    That's pretty much what everything I've ever read about him said Lol
    jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jefprice
    @Bruce Vain said:
    " It's nice to see Happy Hogan's boxing skills in this sequel. I like Cheadle but he just doesn't look like Rhodes to me. I would have rather have had Will Smith at least he's close to Jim's build. Too bad Carl Weathers isn't a young man cause he would've been perfect back in his Action Jackson days. "

Well depending on who is drawing JR has changed quite a bit. At times he's looked more like Cheadle at times more like Will. But I would much rather see DC in this role rather then WS. Carl Weathers? Lol I'd shoot myself. 
    Avatar image for anderson__agent_of_smith
    Anderson: Agent of SMITH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Adam Michaels said:
    "

"

Damn. I totally forgot.

But I think that's pretty much true. Of course that's their side of the story, but Howard didn't really provide a reasonable excuse so I have to side with Marvel.
    ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By ComicCrazy

ah man all the ironman 2 pictures that have been coming out have been awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Adam Michaels

Howard isn't happy about that decision. Mostly because it wasn't a mutual decision nor was there an "official" falling out. Marvel just chose to replace him. That didn't sit well with Howard. He expressed his anger in interviews when they made the announcement of the replacement. Howard said something about putting his trust in some people and they "betrayed" him.

Whataver, I know that the movie will be better with Cheadle as Rhodes.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By sora_thekey

Cool!! This is looking intreasting.....

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NightFang3

Cant wait to see it.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By King_Saturn
    It still pisses me off that they took out Terrence Howard and put in Don Cheadle to play Rhodey... but overall I still wanna see Iron Man 2...
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Media_Master

I'm fine with the switch, Cheadle was very good in Hotel Rwanda.

Big Cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Big Cat

I think they should of kept howard. Why did they get rid of him in this one.

ShoNuffSODS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShoNuffSODS

I like Howard but he didn't visually say "James Rhodes" the character and him didnt match to me. Cheadle looks more like Rhodes than Howard did, but we shall see when it hits the screen.... 

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pixelized

i feel like i should have played "rhodes"

Michael6ft7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Michael6ft7

Rhodes was tall and light-skinned in the comic books. I think they chose Cheadle because they wanted someone to make insecure white people more comfortable. Whenever there is a confident black actor, especially one that is'nt ugly and extremely dark, bigots typically say he's "cocky, arrogant, poor actor" etc. It's because they are threatened and jealous, and those comments are a litmus test for bigotry. Both Howard and Cheadle are Good actors with range and have played many different roles. It's 2009, Evolve already.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @jefprice said:
    "@Bruce Vain said:
    " It's nice to see Happy Hogan's boxing skills in this sequel. I like Cheadle but he just doesn't look like Rhodes to me. I would have rather have had Will Smith at least he's close to Jim's build. Too bad Carl Weathers isn't a young man cause he would've been perfect back in his Action Jackson days. "

Well depending on who is drawing JR has changed quite a bit. At times he's looked more like Cheadle at times more like Will. But I would much rather see DC in this role rather then WS. Carl Weathers? Lol I'd shoot myself. 
    "

Never seen any artist's depiction of JR looking like Cheadle. To me JR looked like Will,Howard & in the 90's & 80's C.Weathers. But nonetheless all I care about is seeing War Machine in the film, and if they continue making more Iron Man films. It would be interesting to see them  get into where WM is able to bond with other military vehicles or weaponary.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.