Shouldn't Tony Stark have failed in the Avengers movie

#1 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers was great, but some bits of it felt shallow like a big block buster with lots of funny explosions.

At the end of Avengers it would have been better if Tony failed with the Nuke

Not in NYC, but after going through the portal....Boooooom! and then dimensional door closes

The movie would have been smarter if Tony remained stuck on the other side in space

Thanos and whatever chitauri is alive then pick up the battered Ironman, capture him, torture him.....Thanos and Ironman....perfect and in comic book continuity

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

But if he didn't fall back down, they couldn't have done that incredibly corny bit with Hulk resuscitating him. 

#3 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a shallow blockbuster with lots of funny explosions.

But it was damned good one and I loved it like a momma loves her babe.

#4 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 3 was already slated, Iron Man had to come out of the movie unscathed.

#5 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

It was a shallow blockbuster with lots of funny explosions.

But it was damned good one and I loved it like a momma loves her babe.

@Matchstick said:

#6 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Stark builds a dimensional portal in a cave with a box of scraps.

#7 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it was a superhero movie and Whedon wanted people walking out of the movie in awe not mourning one of the most popular characters of recent years lets face it the Downey Jr brand lent a lot of credibility to Iron man and the movies that followed.

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13595 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

But if he didn't fall back down, they couldn't have done that incredibly corny bit with Hulk resuscitating him.

and no one would have been able to pay for the schwarma.

#9 Posted by Onemoreposter (4086 posts) - - Show Bio

@Charlie_Jade: Now that I think about it, yeah, I totally agree. The smart/clever move would have been to leave him on the other side. But......

@Matchstick said:

...pretty much that. The MCU is already a sort of merger between 616, 1610, and it's own originality anyways so it's not that big of a deal. The feeling I get is that Disney/Marvel Studios had a long term plan on where they were taking these characters when the Avengers came out. Bringing Tony back to earth at the end means more movies and more money.

#10 Posted by Tony_Shark (484 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that would contradict with Iron Man 3.

For plot reasons:

Hulk was considered a brainless monster. Iron Man was considered an arrogant fool who would not sacrifice himself for others.

That whole scene proves everyone else in the movie wrong. Iron Man saves everyone, and Hulk saves his friend.

#11 Posted by Arcadian (376 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't worry, Joss Whedon can do whatever the hell he wants with Iron Man in the Avengers 2 and beyond ;)

#12 Posted by TheCannon (19202 posts) - - Show Bio

Would of been cool, but then there'd be no Iron Man 3 until after Avengers 2.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (15071 posts) - - Show Bio

It would have been cool and tragic and that would have given the Avengers something to fight for in the second movie.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34272 posts) - - Show Bio

Also when Iron Man came back they could have had the whole "is it really him" thing of Secret Invasion

#15 Posted by nickzambuto (14377 posts) - - Show Bio

No, that would of been a terrible idea.

#16 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

What an awful idea, no offense. Tony had to come back through, it shows that no threat is too great for the power of the Avengers,like Fury said it sent a message. Plus, no IM3!?

#17 Posted by MrPwnage112 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he flew the nuke threw the wormhole and thats where it wouldnt make sence

Unless of course the nuke missed, then this would have been amazing but i wouldn't be able to see the most likely awesome

Iron Man 3

#18 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunhawk said:

Stark builds a dimensional portal in a cave with a box of scraps.

I will love to see that.... but at the same time, I scared they will set the bar too high for future genius superheroes like Pym and Panther....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.