Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11197 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Sara's Iron Man 2 Movie Review!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

IMAX Poster
    IMAX Poster
    When you work at an awesome place like Comic Vine for a living and you follow comic book related movie news as closely as I do, you realize that sometimes it can be hard to go into a movie like Iron Man 2 without being overly analytical and to just enjoy it for what it is- a really cool, action packed superhero film. Sometimes it's fun to forget that you are supposed to be analyzing the film and just have a good time- Iron Man 2 definitely did that for me. Being that I followed all the updates and knew about all the spoilers and images prior to the film's release, I figured it might be hard for me to be entertained; but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. 

The Good

My biggest fears going into this film were that the sequel wouldn't live up to its predecessor, or that the movie would be so far fetched from the stories that exist in the comics that it would alienate my inner comic fan. Let me just say that this film was better than I had anticipated. Robert Downey Jr. does a truly phenomenal job in his portrayal of Tony Stark. If you thought he had a grasp of Stark's character in the first film, wait until you catch him in the sequel. Stark is written as a flawed character- one of the many elements that initially popularized the character with readers from his initial conception. Stark deals with a tremendous amount of pressure in this film, and deals with his problems precisely the way I had imagined he would, clearly taking cue's from the comics. Don Cheadle who had taken over for Terrence Howard as Lt. Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the sequel did a good job in the film, as well. To be honest, the transition from having Howard play the role to Cheadle's performance was effortless- I barely noticed a change in actors. Downey Jr. and Cheadle had fantastic on-screen chemistry, as well; particularly during the phenomenal action sequences. The shift from being friends, to rivals and back to friends again was effortless and worked perfectly in the film. However, the most stellar performance in the film goes to Mickey Rourke. Scar-Jo can take some lessons from him on how to do a perfect Russian accent- maybe in the Avengers movie. 

The Bad

Some of the scenes definitely felt a bit forced. I felt that the chemistry between Pepper and Tony was a little bit off at times, as well. Another problem I had with the film was that it felt there were far too many characters. I think they crammed a lot into two hours, and as a result, awesome characters like Whiplash had less on-camera time.

The Verdict -   4/5

If you are looking for a movie that will make you feel good, then go see this film. Between the incredible action sequences, astounding special effects, and top notch acting from most of the cast, this is definitely one movie you do not want to miss out on this Summer. The best part? You really don't have to be a fan of comics to appreciate this film, but if you love Iron Man, then you will absolutely love this movie.  
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By sexy_merc

Nice.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

I didn't go to see this yet, I'll probably wait till later next week and go during the day and hopefully skip the crowds, but I like what I've heard from you so far.

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Neverpraying
    @danhimself: crowds suck :\
    spiderguylll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By spiderguylll

X-men need a reboot. CYCLOPS DESERVES JUSTICE!!!! Thanks for the review ( and not spoiling it) I have to see it now

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Nice Review, Babs.

I do agree that Tony and Pepper's chemistry was off at times. But Whiplash was awesome, even though he had little bits here and there, each bit were absolutely fantastic.

Other than the fact that Black Widow was not called by that at all during the whole movie or that she didn't have a hint at a Russian accent were the only things I didn't like about her character, but other then that, she was great in the role.

Bats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bats
    @spiderguylll said:
    " X-men need a reboot. CYCLOPS DESERVES JUSTICE!!!! Thanks for the review ( and not spoiling it) I have to see it now "
    I completely agree. Cyclops got hosed - especially in the last movie.
    His character deserved so much better than that.
    As far as Iron Man 2 goes...
    Not counting the annoying, crying baby sitting in front of me,
    It was pretty good. Still like the first one a little better though.
    wolviepool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wolviepool

Questions for Babs?
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By zombietag
    @wolviepool said:
    "

Questions for Babs? "
    this is really creepy
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blindside002
    @War Killer said:
    " Nice Review, Babs.  I do agree that Tony and Pepper's chemistry was off at times. But Whiplash was awesome, even though he had little bits here and there, each bit were absolutely fantastic.  Other than the fact that Black Widow was not called by that at all during the whole movie or that she didn't have a hint at a Russian accent were the only things I didn't like about her character, but other then that, she was great in the role. "
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The only real two things I had an issue with was that fact that some characters, I.e Black Widow and War Machine, weren't named at all in the movie and Black Widow not having any hint of a Russian accent. I wouldn't have cared so much if she would have at least spoken a phrase or something in Russian, I doubt people who don't read the comics would know she was Russian at all. I would probably give this movie a 4.5/5.0 honestly, was awesome just a few things I didn't like.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Blindside002 said:

" @War Killer said:

" Nice Review, Babs.  I do agree that Tony and Pepper's chemistry was off at times. But Whiplash was awesome, even though he had little bits here and there, each bit were absolutely fantastic.  Other than the fact that Black Widow was not called by that at all during the whole movie or that she didn't have a hint at a Russian accent were the only things I didn't like about her character, but other then that, she was great in the role. "
    Couldn't have said it better myself. The only real two things I had an issue with was that fact that some characters, I.e Black Widow and War Machine, weren't named at all in the movie and Black Widow not having any hint of a Russian accent. I wouldn't have cared so much if she would have at least spoken a phrase or something in Russian, I doubt people who don't read the comics would know she was Russian at all. I would probably give this movie a 4.5/5.0 honestly, was awesome just a few things I didn't like. "
    Tony did call Rhodey a " War Machine" once during the movie, like they did with naming Iron Monger in the first film. I wouldn't have minded the Black Widow one except they didn't even credit her as "Black Widow." So for the people who don't read comics, she was just "Agent Romanoff." How is that supposed to help her new book if people won't even say her own name?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @wolviepool said:
    "

Questions for Babs? "

Something about this video doesn't sit right with me.
    rouju

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rouju

Strangely guys. I think this movie is so full of witty script that it almost felt lack of action sequence. I mean the final battle is kinda lame (just like that?). I tried not to spoil things here

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blindside002
    @War Killer:  
    Yeah I remember seeing that, had to explain to my sister why that was significant. lol I really wish they would have referenced her as a Black Widow and had something Russian to do with her other than one of the languages she is supposed to speak.
    Jim Halpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jim Halpert

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    No Caption Provided
    Do you really feel the need to deeply analyze films based on comics? That's almost always setting yourself up for disaster. Save that for anime based movies. Those are consistently bad.

I'm seeing this on sunday with my mother, since it's Mother's Day. She liked the first movie and likes Robert Downey Jr.

What I keep wondering. What purpose does Scarlet Johansson serve in the story, or is she just in there as eye candy? I get nervous when movies start to pack in characters that don't contribute to the plot. Another issue I have is when movies show too much in trailers. I wish the suitcase armor hadn't been shown in previews. It would of been cool to keep it a secret. It would of been such an unexpected surprise.

Thanks for the review.

@wolviepool said:

" [youtube video removed for space and creep factor]

Questions for Babs? "
    This is one of those things that after you watch it. You wish you could UN-watch it. Babs, make sure to lock your windows and doors tonight.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Great review, I too was worried.  Especially all the people saying "I don't know.  It doesn't interest me at all."
    To me it felt like a glimpse at what Tony Stark's life has become.  It felt like an issue of the Iron Man comic, like if you picked up a comic today.  You can tell that he has been Iron Man for a while, and will continue to be Iron Man for a while.
    This felt like "Lets check in with Tony Stark and see how he is doing today."  I felt like there is the world that Stark lives in, has lived in and will continue to live in even when the audience isn't watching.

It was OK, not super, but good.  8/10 or something.  I would pay to see it again too.

elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By elevatorparty

I saw this on wednesday, i was glad natasha didnt speak with a russian accent, she is an undercover spy. And its pretty clear who War Machine and herself are when they get in the costumes.  
    I thought that all the actors actually did have enough time on screen I just think the finale could have had more pop. I felt a little dissapointed when the ass-kicking just stopped. Still give it 4.5/6 

PS; dont bother staying to the end of the credits

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By ComicCrazy

I'm happy you liked I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised with this movie as well I thought it was great.
    criss carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By criss carter
    @Babs:
    thank you,,i will check this movie.. 
    one question please.. 
    don't you think that this movie will make my old comics value up..??  (IRON MAN #1 AND #2) 9.2  QUAL. 
    THANK YOU.! 

Criss.
    daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daveydavey
    @wolviepool said:

"

Questions for Babs? "
    WTF
    COOL ARROW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By COOL ARROW

I find it funny that the Olivia Munn Cameo was not worth the hype

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Blindside002 said:
    " @War Killer:  Yeah I remember seeing that, had to explain to my sister why that was significant. lol I really wish they would have referenced her as a Black Widow and had something Russian to do with her other than one of the languages she is supposed to speak. "
    Fury could have at least called her "Agent Black Widow" my number one agent, or something like that, he could have just said it once and then I would have been fine, lol
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By shanana

Yeah Scarlett's lack of a accent messed it up just a tad bit. I loved the "Realness" between Tony and Pepper, her screams sounded so sincere and not forced, like a lot of movies I've seen so far. OMG I LOVED HAPPY lol.

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By ElJuano
    @Vance Astro: Very Freakin' Creepy!
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By shanana
    @COOL ARROW said:
    "  I find it funny that the Olivia Munn Cameo was not worth the hype "
    LOL who was she again?
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shanana
    @wolviepool said:

"

Questions for Babs? "
    Yeah cause that's not weird
    COOL ARROW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By COOL ARROW
    @Sha: She was at the beginning during the part where Tony is Leaving the Stark Expo. She played a reporter......around the time you saw Larry King (Stan Lee)
    shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shanana
    @COOL ARROW said:
    " @Sha: She was at the beginning during the part where Tony is Leaving the Stark Expo. She played a reporter......around the time you saw Larry King (Stan Lee) "
    I thought soo! lol
    brendon277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By brendon277

I just went to see the movie today and truthfully the first one was better. The only good part of it was when Black Widow started kicking ass cause i like action and when the movie ended. Lol.

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @danhimself said:
    " I didn't go to see this yet, I'll probably wait till later next week and go during the day and hopefully skip the crowds, but I like what I've heard from you so far. "
    Same. People don't know how to shut up during the movie...all the clapping and talking is really annoying.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By danhimself
    @Agent Buttons said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " I didn't go to see this yet, I'll probably wait till later next week and go during the day and hopefully skip the crowds, but I like what I've heard from you so far. "
    Same. People don't know how to shut up during the movie...all the clapping and talking is really annoying. "
    I just can't stand the crowds...the crowds almost ruined Avatar for me...the place was so crowed I was like 4 rows from the front of the theater right up against the wall and the place was packed....I hate crowds and lines of people...i get impatient and start wanting to hit people
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nyogtha
    @War Killer: As far as the Russian accent goes I think they did that for cheese factor. To us comic fans, it's totally fine to have two Russian characters because we know it's part of the story. But to a general audience, that this was want to reach, as well as the comic fans. That might be a bit much. You have to admit, the Russian thing does go the stereotype after franchises like James Bond and all the mafia movies and cold war related stuff. It becomes the go to card when you don't have an original idea, even though Black Widow was around before it became stereotypical.
    Sherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sherlock
    @Nyogtha said:
    " @War Killer: As far as the Russian accent goes I think they did that for cheese factor. To us comic fans, it's totally fine to have two Russian characters because we know it's part of the story. But to a general audience, that this was want to reach, as well as the comic fans. That might be a bit much. You have to admit, the Russian thing does go the stereotype after franchises like James Bond and all the mafia movies and cold war related stuff. It becomes the go to card when you don't have an original idea, even though Black Widow was around before it became stereotypical. "
    Even so thats like one of her trademarks as cliche as it is they still should have had it.With a Russian accent you just get that hint of im gonna Eff up your $hit if you mess with me she just didnt have the same effect without it
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Nyogtha: I disagree, having one more Russian accent in this movie wouldn't have been any different, I mean Whiplash talked Russian during most of the movie, and even in English, his Russian was pretty heavy. So having BW talk Russian wouldn't have been that big of deal. That didn't have to take it out and she spoke Latin so having her learn Russian (or simply having an accent when she spoke English) shouldn't have been that hard to do.
    DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DarkSyde79

You're only as good as your enemies. Too bad Iron Man's suck for the most part. With that being said, the movie was still good. I just wish they spent as much time setting up Iron Man 3 as they did setting up The Avengers movie. Of course if The Avengers sets up Iron Man 3 then we shall see. 

gordocomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gordocomics

what i didnt like about the whiplash character is that he was hardly a character. obviously he was a tech genius, but they made it seem like he wasnt smart at all. like the whole thing with vanko and hammer made it seem like vanko was a little kid that was disobedient and didnt listen to anything. frankly, i like my villains to be characters that communicate with other characters. whatever i dont really understand what i'm saying but hopefully you guys get the idea.    

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By Cherry Bomb

Is ScarJo actually russian in the movie??

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Sha said:

" @wolviepool said:

"

Questions for Babs? "
    Yeah cause that's not weird "
    ... I'm going to parody this.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By No_Name_
    @Cherry Bomb said:
    " Is ScarJo actually russian in the movie?? "
    No.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By No_Name_
    @criss carter said:
    " @Babs: thank you,,i will check this movie.. one question please.. don't you think that this movie will make my old comics value up..??  (IRON MAN #1 AND #2) 9.2  QUAL. THANK YOU.!  Criss. "
    Your old comics need to be graded to see how much they are worth. To answer your question, no, I don't necessarily believe that the worth of your comics are directly correlated to the success of these films.
    criss carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By criss carter

Thank's for ansering my question..
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @Babs said:
    " @Cherry Bomb said:
    No. "
    Wow ... that sucks!  - thanks.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By danhimself
    @Cherry Bomb said:
    " @Babs said:
    " @Cherry Bomb said:
    No. "
    Wow ... that sucks!  - thanks. "
    I wouldn't have said "no" because it seemed like they were hinting at it
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MichaelBach

I agree, although I didn't mind all the characters, I didn't feel they were cramed in there. Also love all the performances, great job from Mickey giving life to a character that doesn't have many lines actually. I found Jan Hammer a little anoying at times.

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By darkcloakx

i loved it. can't wait for the avengers and  thor, Captain america and captain america maybe green laantern not sold on rr playing Gl will wait for a trailer for that one.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tensor

i think it should get 3/5 some of the special effects were poorly done an the story for the movie felt rush it was not a comic movie for me part1 was more soild than this but i am looking forward for the thor movie ppl plz watch the end of the movie to see the best part so don't leave after  the credits watch it to the end an you will be rewarded
    Preacherl2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By Preacherl2k

Babs- great review I think you were dead on!

I finally saw this movie today and it truly is entertaining. As far as Scarlet Jo speaking with a Russian accent, hey she's a super spy her job is to blend in with everyone around her NOT to stand out as the Russian chick from the legal dept, get it?

I agree most comic people can be overly critical of a movie when they compare it to the comics. Movies are a business first and foremost - NOT made to please every comic fan, there made to make money and appeal to as wide an audience as possible. That having been said I sat done and enjoyed the ride- all 2 hours and 4 minutes of it and as the kick for this summers movie season goes I give it a 5/5!

You can't please all of the people all the time but if you can please most of the people most of the time you can make allot of dough and have a movie most people enjoy and might even pay to see a second time.
     Now if only they could get Jon Favreau to reboot the X-men films (Someone who tries his best to stick to the heart of the comics and their story's) they might not butcher X-men first class. (Sorry Babs I stole that comment from you cause you were right on when you made that comment in the weekly news report).

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48  Edited By Comiclove5
    @zombietag said:
    " @wolviepool said:
    "

Questions for Babs? "
    this is really creepy "

STALKER
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49  Edited By Comiclove5

Great review babs.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.