Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Sam Rockwell Confirms Role For Iron Man 2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    We've heard mixed reports on what role Sam Rockwell could be up for in Iron Man 2.  Some reports had him playing Whiplash while others had him pegged for Justin Hammer.  To me, Justin Hammer has always seemed like an old dude to me.  But it turns out, that's the role Rockwell will be playing.  Rockwell recently spoke with MTV on the matter:
    According to Rockwell, “Iron Man” director Jon Favreau originally considered casting him for the role of Tony Stark in the first film, but he’s now on board to appear as Justin Hammer, a staunch corporate rival for Stark, in “Iron Man 2.”

“We had a phone conversation about it, and then I didn’t hear anything and that was it,” Rockwell told MTV of early conversations regarding the part that eventually went to Robert Downey Jr. One blockbuster film later, the phone conversation was accompanied by an offer to play Hammer, and Rockwell accepted.
    Weird to think that Robert Downey Jr almost wasn't Tony Stark.  Justin Hammer is a middle aged business man that wants to take Stark's place in the weapons selling business after he pulled out.  To me, he's not that exciting of a character.  I'm not sure if I feel he's really necessary but I'm not going to argue with Favreau's judgement.  It seems like it's going to be a busy movie.  We have Mickey Rourke as possibly Crimson Dynamo.  Emily Blunt may be playing the Black WidowMandarin is supposed to be in it and possible Hawkeye too.  No wonder Tony develops a drinking problem.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Darkchild

Hmm i still really dont sit comfortably with the idea of Sam playing any part

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hawk

Mickey Rourke has all the buzz from the Wrestler. I don't recognize Sam Rockwell from anything..... 

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darkchild

Matchstickmen

The Green Mile

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

hes not a no name hes just not real popular

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hawk
    Darkchild said:
    "Matchstickmen

The Green Mile

hes not a no name hes just not real popular"
    OH!!! The Jackass in the Green Mile. "Billy the Kid" or something
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Darkchild
    Hawk said:
    "Darkchild said:
    "Matchstickmen

The Green Mile

hes not a no name hes just not real popular"
    OH!!! The Jackass in the Green Mile. "Billy the Kid" or something"
    Yeah that one, the one who actually killed the little girls
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By King_Saturn
    Hawk said:
    "Mickey Rourke has all the buzz from the Wrestler. I don't recognize Sam Rockwell from anything..... "
    Mickey Rourke is awesome... get his ass to play Whiplash

lol
    Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Captain Cascader

Sam Rockwell is an awesome actor. Not sure about the villain choice, but Rockwell is on a very short list of my favorite actors.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck

He also played Batman.  Check it out HERE.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gmanfromheck

Sam Rockwell didn't know Justin Hammer was an old dude or that he was an actual comic character.  Check out a short video from MTV:

BriClops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BriClops

Sam rockwell is a really cool guy it seems, hell i didnt even know of  Justin Hammer (i have only been reading the current ongoing iron man thou), but his best role was probably in Galaxy Quest, or Choke thoose iz good movies.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By King Quisling

I'm looking forward to seeing this done. Sam Rockwell is a fantastic actor (He gives a great performance in Joshua) and I would like to see what he does with a character like Justin Hammer. Hammer is a character I always thought had potential and could be modernized in quite creative and cool ways. Arms dealer for super humans. What doesn't sound dope about that?! Lol Plus him being involved in creating the Crimson Dynamo armor is an interesting new direction to take the story in. And Rourke as Dynamo....that's something I may pay a few times to see. The actress casted as Black Widow seems to have potential as well. Hopefully Hawkeye played by a great actor as well. I'd suggest Leonardo Dicaprio or Tim Olyphant or Josh Duhamel. All great actors. All could fill Clint's purple boots. 

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By fesak  Moderator
    Captain Cascader said:
    "Sam Rockwell is an awesome actor. Not sure about the villain choice, but Rockwell is on a very short list of my favorite actors."

Seconded. He's really underappreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.