Robert Downey Jr. On 'Iron Man 3' Cameos And More

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Downey Jr. is one of Hollywood's biggest stars, and having him front and center of so many Marvel films has been something of a blessing for the rather young film company. Downey Jr. brings a certain charm to the role of Tony Stark, and thinking now at the actor and his portrayal of the character on screen, it's hard to think of anyone else in the role. In a sense, Robert Downey Jr. has become synonymous with Tony Stark, and if you're a fan of the character, it's hard not to get excited about Iron Man 3 which is scheduled to hit theaters across North America on May 3rd.

With director Shane Black at the helm of this film, things are expected to be different for Tony. But how different? What changes can we expect to see? It's obvious that the tone of this next movie will be considerably darker than that of its predecessors. While the last two films dealt with Tony's rise as Iron Man (and subsequent internal struggle), this movie will deal with the character's fall from grace. Yet, what else will change? Entertainment Weekly's recent interview with Robert Downey Jr. gives a bit of insight into how much different this third Iron Man film will be from its two predecessors and the Avengers.

One of the first things Downey Jr. made a mention of in the interview was the "Boot/Glove sequence" that we had seen hinted on promotional posters previously. In this scene, Stark is equipped with only one Iron Man glove and boot, and must use only those two pieces to his advantage in order to fight the bad guys.

We’ve just been talking about one sequence – the top-secret name is the Boot/Glove Sequence, I can tell you that, just between you and me – it’s where Tony only has one gauntlet and one boot and he has to escape multiple captors. It’s really fun, dude. We’re taking everything from his first gauntlet test in the first movie up through the most extreme stuff we thought up for Iron Man 2 and The Avengers and pulling on all of it and making this one big, extended challenge of physics.

This film will also feature several faces we haven't yet seen in the franchise or associated with previous Iron Man films, but that isn't necessarily new news. Guy Pearce, James Badge Dale, Rebecca Hall and Ben Kingsley as The Mandarin are all set to appear, but what will Stark's relationships with these characters be like? How will he interact with them? Downey Jr. revealed that in this next film, actor Don Cheadle will take a more prominent "front and center" role as James Rhodes.

== TEASER ==
Since I was just talking about Flight and Don is on my mind, I’ll start with him. Rhodey is much more in the dead center of things. He’s much more dynamic. We’ve made this decision that while Tony is a technical guy, he’s not really a trained guy. There’s a lot of fun to be had with Don because he’s really good with hardware and he’s a martial artist, so it’s been really fun exploiting this possibility of Tony having moments like the one in Avengers, like the one with Cap where he decides, “Oh screw it, he probably knows what he’s doing.” So there’s a lot of that and a lot more fun and a lot more depth to Rhodey this time around.

In Iron Man 2 we did see James Rhodes take a more prominent role in the film as well as in Tony Stark's life. There was even that great scene where the two characters suited up and fought back to back, so it will be interesting to see the trust in Rhodey further explored in this third film. But what about other characters? After seeing The Avengers, one would think that some of those characters (Captain America, Thor, or maybe Black Widow) would make cameo appearances. So, will they? According to the actor, fans can expect that The Avengers characters will be very much present in this third film, even i they are not "on the ground."

The whole Avengers thing [with $1.5 billion in global box office was such a relief and such a confirmation of [Marvel Studios President] Kevin Feige’s vision for this all along. As Kevin has put it, the next step after that is to bring in someone like Shane Black and – without pretending that the Avengers don’t exist – find a way to go back to a kind of re-investigation of Tony’s world, which he thought would be, one, fun for the audience and, two, would rock in a different way than The Avengers. But we can’t help it — everywhere you look now in every Marvel movie there are opportunities where certain new pals of his could be useful. So they’re in the atmosphere, so to speak, but I wouldn’t expect to see them on the ground in this one.

Could this be a reference to S.H.I.E.L.D.? In the sky and always present, but perhaps not necessarily "on the ground," so to speak. The details remain to be seen but still, this is something to think about. The interview will continue to trickle out throughout this week on the EW's website, but you can read the previous two parts here and here. What do you think of Iron Man 3 so far? Do you think it will be difficult for this movie to live up to the previous two as well as The Avengers?

Source: EW

#1 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm let's see

#2 Posted by Colby_Cheese (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for the movie and the figures to come out

#3 Posted by iancoderre3 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Guy Perece is going to be Mr. Hammer. He is taking the role from the previous actor who played Mr. Hammer in number 2

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33956 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he means "on the ground" in a military sense

#5 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

Very excited to see Iron Man 3. Probably the movie I am most excited to come out this year

#6 Posted by EDfromRED (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel seems to be making all the right choices with its movies lately. The trailer of Iron Man 3 with that fantastically creepy Ben Kingsley narration, and Tony's mansion getting blown to kingdom come has me dieing to see it. This and Man of Steel are the superhero flicks I'm looking forward to seeing the most in the near future.

It's truly a dream age for genre movies, where talented creators who are true fans of the source material, are able to utilize mind-blowing effects to bring these stories and characters to life,

#7 Posted by dondave (38560 posts) - - Show Bio

Excited for this

#8 Posted by bumpton (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Why's everyone left-handed in that concept art?

#9 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

@iancoderre3 said:

Guy Perece is going to be Mr. Hammer. He is taking the role from the previous actor who played Mr. Hammer in number 2

incorrect, he is playing Aldrich Killian

#10 Posted by markslurpee (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 1 sucked, Iron Man 2 was good, let's see how 3 does.

#11 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

My son, 4 years old, is a HUGE fan of Iron Man since he was about two years old. He watched more than 30 times in the first two movies and actually remembered every single moves Iron Man made! He'll going to love it when he sees Iron Man 3. My wife and I are very excited about seeing it as well.

#12 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this will be good.

#13 Posted by travmadison (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@markslurpee: Wait wait wait wait wait! Stop the comment bus right fricking now... Iron Man 1 sucked but 2 was ok??? what crack pipe are you smoking? You mean to say that Iron Man 1 which told a complete and thought out story, with a villain who didnt go out like a bi-tch in the end sucked, but the poor and awful acting of Scarlet Jo, as the least convincing Black Widow ever was ok.....Yeah she redeemed herself in Avengers but still... 1 sucked and 2 was ok... What was ok about it? I cannot think of a single thing in it...wait the fight between Tony and Rhodes was ok, but the rest of that movie was awful in comparison.. Iron Man 1 is by far the best movie Marvel has produced yet. Please give me some reasons as to how in the blue hell you can think Iron Man 1 sucked but 2 was ok.........

#14 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

@travmadison said:

@markslurpee: Wait wait wait wait wait! Stop the comment bus right fricking now... Iron Man 1 sucked but 2 was ok??? what crack pipe are you smoking?

yeah i agree with trav, and so does the large marjority of everyone else, IM1 was fantastic IM2 was forgettable and cheap. hey, everyones got an opinion though.

#15 Posted by markslurpee (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@travmadison: Relax yourself, I'm entitled to my opinion. I just didn't like the first movie but I enjoyed the second.

#16 Posted by saoakden (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

I am looking forward to this movie.

#17 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

sweet more RHODEY

#18 Posted by AmazingWebHead (3511 posts) - - Show Bio

Still no word on the rumors of the Ant-Man vs Radioactive Man post-credits scene?

#19 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3559 posts) - - Show Bio

I also really love him as Sherlock Holmes. These two characters must be such a unique experience for him. Just look at how both had issues with substance abuse. Though, those aspects never play much in the movies. I'm sure he's aware of it.

I bet he enjoys the role of the character. An exercise in fighting your personal demons to do some good.

#20 Posted by Crackdown (605 posts) - - Show Bio

@iancoderre3 said:

You clearly are joking, or are somehow oblivious to the role of Aldrich Killian he has been registered to play for about nine months now

#21 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't it makes the most sense that of all of the avengers to appear in this film it'd be bruce banner. I mean he an Tony drove off together at the end of avengers so it'd make sense he'd still be with him. My second choice is Hawkeye cause the two have a lot of history that has yet to be explored.

#22 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smurfboy said:

My son, 4 years old, is a HUGE fan of Iron Man since he was about two years old. He watched more than 30 times in the first two movies and actually remembered every single moves Iron Man made! He'll going to love it when he sees Iron Man 3. My wife and I are very excited about seeing it as well.

Good job, start 'em young!

#23 Posted by hunter5024 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm confident that this movie will be better than Ironman 2. That movie was pretty boring.

#24 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's the military making a splash, I hope to Marvel's gods that there's Thaddeus Ross involved. I want to see him turn redder than Russia's former flag by the time the next Avengers' film comes out.

#25 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7990 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope this is a big step up from Iron Man 2. I really liked the first one, the second one not so much.

#26 Posted by Bad_People (163 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben Kingsley would be a pretty good Mandarin I think. Except for not being Chinese.

#27 Posted by fACEmelter88 (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever I want to see it.....now!

#28 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@elayem98 said:

@travmadison said:

@markslurpee: Wait wait wait wait wait! Stop the comment bus right fricking now... Iron Man 1 sucked but 2 was ok??? what crack pipe are you smoking?

yeah i agree with trav, and so does the large marjority of everyone else, IM1 was fantastic IM2 was forgettable and cheap. hey, everyones got an opinion though.

IM2 is not cheap, IM2 is all about character development. About the consequences of revealing yourself as a superhero to the World, what will it does to your life, and how will it influences the others as well.

Both movies are great, only MORON will say it's SUCK

#29 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

So looking forward to this! Just want it to be here already to be honest.

#30 Posted by spiderturtle (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Its going to be Iron Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy. boook it!

#31 Posted by FearTheLiving (3571 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait! If you can't tell from my avatar I'm loving the MCU, every movie they've pumped out has been good. As much as I'm liking this phase I'm getting even more excited for phase 3...Ant-Man! Doctor Strange! Love that Marvel is taking chances with lesser known heroes if anything I'm hoping this will get the general audience to be more aware of these characters.

#32 Posted by Quntumking (216 posts) - - Show Bio

MARVEL'S next blockbuster should be AVENGERS vs S. H. I. E. L.D.. Something could happen where the Avengers have go Rouge and hide. A major villian(Von struker , Zemo ,Mephisto , Ultron , Madam Hydra Etc.........) stills Nick Fury's job and slanders there name. A hunt begins, good fighting , good banter , Yada Yada. Nevermind I'll write it myself.

#33 Posted by Essentialtonystark (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Really looking forward to the movie, for me the most important film of this year as a movie fan.

#34 Posted by Psimitar (13 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bad_People said:

Ben Kingsley would be a pretty good Mandarin I think. Except for not being Chinese.

He's not Indian either, that didn't stop him from playing Ghandi.

#35 Edited by Schabbe (82 posts) - - Show Bio
"everywhere you look now in every Marvel movie there are opportunities where certain new pals of his could be useful. So they’re in the atmosphere, so to speak, but I wouldn’t expect to see them on the ground in this one." 

I read somewhere about that >POSSIBLY< being a hint that we might see the guardians of the galaxy in a cameo
#36 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@Psimitar said:

@Bad_People said:

He's not Indian either, that didn't stop him from playing Ghandi.

Actually Kingsley's father is of Gujarati descent, which are considered an Indian ethnic group.

@Bad_People said:

Don't forget The Mandarian's father was Chinese, but his mother was English.

#37 Posted by The_Vein (169 posts) - - Show Bio

The third movie in a superhero trilogy is always the worst one.

#38 Posted by TorontRayne (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking in absolutes is always a bad idea. :)

I'm putting my money on this one knocking one out of the park.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.