Robert Downey Jr.... Iron Man No More?

#1 Edited by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Loki9876 (2995 posts) - - Show Bio

he can still be in Avengers 2.

#3 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel will pony up more money, that or just find a younger actor. Iron Man in the Marvel universe is not going away.

#4 Edited by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

HALLELUJAH. No more RDJ.

#5 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@betatesthighlander1: Just always hated him as an actor, even before Iron Man. He's an arrogant, self centered retard who gets paid to play himself on screen... I wouldn't call playing yourself decent acting.

#7 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

D:

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17797 posts) - - Show Bio

F*ck, i love that guy!

#11 Posted by Inverno (13160 posts) - - Show Bio

Wut...?!?!

#12 Edited by Dark_Guyver (2307 posts) - - Show Bio

There are others that can play the role equally well. He had a good run while it lasted

#13 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14594 posts) - - Show Bio

No more money for you Marvel. You get nothing.

#14 Posted by russellmania77 (14851 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no Iron Man movies with out RDJ, he is a damn good actor

#15 Posted by BumpyBoo (8118 posts) - - Show Bio

*cries deeply*

Moderator Online
#16 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (3594 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Downey Jr is the PERFECT Tony Stark.

#17 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3503 posts) - - Show Bio

@shark_repellent_bat_spray said:

@betatesthighlander1: Just always hated him as an actor, even before Iron Man. He's an arrogant, self centered retard who gets paid to play himself on screen... I wouldn't call playing yourself decent acting.

That's basically what Tom Hanks does. Rarely does he ever act. He usually just plays Tom Hanks, but people like Tom Hanks, so it works out.

Also, in your description of RDJ, didn't you kind of describe Tony Stark? I think it fits :)

I think three Iron Man movies is enough. He should continue to appear in The Avengers sequels, but his work is done. He successfully popularized the Marvel Universe, and the company can move onto spotlighting other characters.

#18 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@kal_smahboi said:

That's basically what Tom Hanks does. Rarely does he ever act. He usually just plays Tom Hanks, but people like Tom Hanks, so it works out.

Also, in your description of RDJ, didn't you kind of describe Tony Stark? I think it fits :)

I think three Iron Man movies is enough. He should continue to appear in The Avengers sequels, but his work is done. He successfully popularized the Marvel Universe, and the company can move onto spotlighting other characters.

Yeah he does, his best role is still the voice for Woody for me. He's not a very good actor.

Yeah, I pretty much described Tony Stark as well. I hate him more than any other fictional character! Infact I hate all extremely arrogant characters and people, if they could perform autofellatio I bet they would. But like I said, playing yourself does not make you an actor does it?

#19 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3503 posts) - - Show Bio

@kal_smahboi said:

Yeah he does, his best role is still the voice for Woody for me. He's not a very good actor.

Yeah, I pretty much described Tony Stark as well. I hate him more than any other fictional character! Infact I hate all extremely arrogant characters and people, if they could perform autofellatio I bet they would. But like I said, playing yourself does not make you an actor does it?

No, that's a fair assessment. I think you're wrong about Hanks though. He can be a terrific actor, he's just usually cast as himself.

#20 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe playing yourself is the hardest role for an actor

but on topic; well, not exactly good news but it will be nice to see some new faces on the MCU and on Iron Man probably! it was good while it lasted, hope we get a new good actor for the role (if Marvel goes the James Bond treatment)

#21 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Woahh! I think he makes one helluva Iron Man. Not sure if it's just me though.

#22 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5501 posts) - - Show Bio

They could always kill him off in the 4th, then have Rhodey replace in on,the Avengers. Both giving Tony his hero's death and the Avengers an IronMan.

#23 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17812 posts) - - Show Bio

@kal_smahboi said:

No, that's a fair assessment. I think you're wrong about Hanks though. He can be a terrific actor, he's just usually cast as himself.

Same thing with Will Smith.He really plays himself,and sometimes that works other times not so much.

#24 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17812 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

when would you say Will was at his best and worst?

I don't know.I am not a big fan of him.But there are certain films he works then others not so much.He was pretty good in Men In Black oh and he was a good laugh in Independence Day too .I am not sure how well he worked in I am Legend though.

#26 Edited by tupiaz (2173 posts) - - Show Bio

You could just let Don Cheadle and let Rhodes take the position of Iron Man. That has happen several times in the comics.

@shark_repellent_bat_spray: If you play the character as it is meant to you play the role well. Most actors take experience form their personal life when they are acting. Doesn't matter how you are in your personal life. Also hating a fictive character seems kind of pointless if you don't like it stay away from it. Tony Stark was never meant to be likeable. It also seems like you know RDJ personally since you know how he is. Maybe you want to say it to him in front that you dislike him in stead of claiming it anonymously on the internet.

#27 Posted by SUNMAN (7221 posts) - - Show Bio

I was getting tired of his schtick anyway.

Ironman 1 was good. Ironman 2 was meh and Stark was borderline annoying most of the movie. Avengers was the same in terms of Stark, but was entertaining nonetheless.

#28 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I call BS.

#29 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3503 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: Hey, you're right. I'd never thought of Smith that way, but you're right.

#30 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11309 posts) - - Show Bio

No RDJ as Iron Man = Heart break.

#31 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel will get him for Avengers 2 at least. I read the interview where he talks about this and he mentions he's always willing to "play ball" when it comes to big studio movies, meaning he'll stick around if they pay him right. Which, can't argue that they'd take a big hit without him. The team feels great as it stands but once you remove Downeys name from the lineup Avengers 2 cast suddenly doesn't sound as great anymore.

Marvel, get on this!

#32 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

That's not good news, but to be fair it's inevitable, as he's bound to leave eventually. Still a shame though. By some short miracle Iron Man'll be like Hulk and get better with each new actor, but I doubt it.

#33 Edited by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnkmccubbin91: I have faith in Marvel. No doubt RDJ is amazing as Stark but there's plenty of talented actors out there, so maybe they'll go with a younger lesser known actor to grow into the role or something.

#34 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: grow into the role? Are you kidding? We have just about started Phase 2 here. No lineup changes allowed! We need RDJ for Avengers 2 at the very least. Marvel should just sign these actors for 8 years and see what kind of comic movie universe they could really create. Hell, we know Disney's got the damn money. If they could keep this cast around long enough, they could KILL every time out at the box office.

#35 Edited by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't close to the comic Tony Stark, no way close... but somehow I just enjoyed him on the big screen. Hope he would return to the big screen "The Avengers 2"

But if they seriously want to replace RDJ, BRADLEY COOPER and JAMES FRANCO wouldn't be a bad choice.

#36 Edited by fenixREVOLUTION (884 posts) - - Show Bio

It was bound to happen. I could see him bowing out after Avengers 2, though he only seems to be in franchises lately.

I do think he'll be a tough act to follow as Iron Man.

#37 Posted by THORSON (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

so?

#38 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally after Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 I don't blame him. I think he wants to do quality work and don't want to be associated with shit.

#39 Posted by THORSON (2348 posts) - - Show Bio

so?

i go to see comic movies for the superheros, not the actor. unless its chris hemsworth because he is worthy.

#40 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1596 posts) - - Show Bio

While I can understand needing to move on at some point to other roles, i'd love see him do at least one more Iron Man film, and to still keep appearing in the Avengers.

#41 Posted by The Average Bear (2072 posts) - - Show Bio

Did anyone hear that rumor about Jon Hamm taking over? I can see that. I like it. I hope they don't go with a younger actor. Tony needs some miles on him, I feel. I'm team Jon Hamm if that's an actual thing

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.