Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Producer Kevin Feige Discusses the Tone of 'Iron Man 3'

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Remember when the trailer for Iron Man 3 debuted back in October? The two-minute trailer painted a pretty bleak picture for Tony Stark and friends. With Stark talking about making apologies and scenes of his armors getting getting destroyed, along with his mansion, we all got the impression that this is not going to be the fun-loving franchise that we were expected.

No Caption Provided

It turns out this many not completely be the case. Producer Kevin Feige discussed the tone of the movie with The West Australian:

It's not a serious movie, but we seriously dig into exploring more of Tony. The trick is just trying to make great movies. We try to make them all great, all different and all fresh. What you'll see in Iron Man 3 is some very unique directions that were taken.

It may not be a "serious movie" but will we still get the expected Tony Stark/Robert Downey Jr humor and quips we've seen in the first two films and The Avengers? Getting attacked and having your house and stuff blown up can't leave him in the best mood.

Director Shane Black also mentioned they plan on making the movie "fresh and different" instead of trying to compete with the The Avengers.

We'll have to wait for more information as we count down to the May 3, 2013 release date.

Source: SuperHeroHype

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

Seems like a serious film to me from the trailers, and thats a bit what i was hoping for....

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Trodorne

I notice people in hollywood love saying something like "Fresh" "New", and "Hip".

Me Id prefer the honest truth like. "This movie we put in lots of jokes, comic cameos, and CG that will make your $9-12 dollar ticket price semi worth it."

The_Grey_Queen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Grey_Queen

It's nice to see a more indepth story of the character, what makes these movies so good is both a balance of seriousness and humor.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

@TheCheeseStabber said:

Seems like a serious film to me from the trailers, and thats a bit what i was hoping for....

@Trodorne said:

I notice people in hollywood love saying something like "Fresh" "New", and "Hip".

Me Id prefer the honest truth like. "This movie we put in lots of jokes, comic cameos, and CG that will make your $9-12 dollar ticket price semi worth it."

Yep.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

I'm still waiting to see if those rumors about a Hulk character (Banner, Ross, either of their gamma forms etc.) cameo-ing are true.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#6  Edited By StMichalofWilson

@Trodorne said:

Trodorne made such perfect sense

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ccraft
    Nicodemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Nicodemus

Finally, we get to see the real Tony Stark and not the millionaire in a suit of armor. It looks like he's going to be stripped down, everything that makes him powerful will be taken from him, hopefully making Tony more humanized and therefore relate-able to more fans.

You see, as most do, I compare IronMan/Tony Stark to Batman/Bruce Wayne. Both are basically the same character, whereas Bruce is more dark and brooding and Tony's just a rich kid who makes himself toys. He doesn't care about the little things in life. Everything has to be big. So give the man something to care about...Let the guy lose everything so it brings him back down to Earth and let him build it back with a different mindframe.

I think Batman's more relate-able to the fans than Tony will ever be.

Iron Man 3.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jinxuandi

I really hope they don't ruin the Marvel franchise of movies by turning all of them into Dark Knight clones. I want comic movies that are somewhat light-hearted and fun. I could care less about some Hollywood directors and execs attempts to turn Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Thor into brooding loners. I'll wait till the next Batman movie if I want to see that.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@Nicodemus: I thought Tony had a lot of character depth through the movies. Sure he seems to be all quips and gags but you really see his emotional state throughout the franchise. In Iron Man, when his friend dies in the caves he sees it as his fault (as he wanted to buy Tony time) he is overcome by rage and decimates the terrorists. In Iron Man 2 we see his reaction to how his father truly felt about him. This was the closure Tony needed (to become more than just a man, someone who could change the world). It looks like Iron Man 3 will turn the emotional level of the character to 11. With such threats against to both himself and to his loved ones hopefully we will get to see the true character that is Tony Stark/Iron Man.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ThomasElliot

@jinxuandi said:

I really hope they don't ruin the Marvel franchise of movies by turning all of them into Dark Knight clones. I want comic movies that are somewhat light-hearted and fun. I could care less about some Hollywood directors and execs attempts to turn Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and Thor into brooding loners. I'll wait till the next Batman movie if I want to see that.

I'm tired of people who think 'serious' = Dark Knight.

Is Empire Strikes back brooding and depressing from beginning to end? Nope, but its the 'darkest' of the entire franchise and considered the best of 6 films.

Serious and dark does not mean Dark Knight. Some net-tards are coming to the same conclusion in regards to Snyder's Superman and its silly.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loki2u

"It's not a serious movie, but we seriously dig into exploring more of Tony. The trick is just trying to make great movies. We try to make them all great, all different and all fresh. What you'll see in Iron Man 3 is some very unique directions that were taken."

I would hardly call this is a discussion. LOL!

ADAMocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ADAMocracy

@ThomasElliot: For some reason when I read net-tards all I could think of was some nerd behind his keyboard with thick glasses, white polo with pocket, and slacks. But hopefully they do take the Dark Knight route with Superman, because his character needs it for the movies.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Martian

yup, cant wait

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jinxuandi

@ThomasElliot: You're right, why on earth would anyone compare Man of Steel with the Dark Knight trilogy? It's not like the Dark Knight director is producing Man of Steel or several of the lead actors have said that the movie will have the "edgy" quality of the Dark Knight. I mean, Zack Snyder is the one mostly in charge of the movie's tone anyway, and his movies tend to be on the lighter side.

Your Empire Strikes example is entirely irrelevant. Like it or not, Iron Man 3 is a comic book movie. It is going to be compared to other comic book movies (like, I dunno, The Dark Knight Rises), not Empire Strikes Back, Lincoln, The Godfather or Citizen Kane. Even a net-tard would know that.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

In truth, the way this reads, and the way the trailer could be read thus far, it almost seems like you could make the case to rename the movie "Iron Man Rises". It just seems like a tale of paradise loss and paradise regained. Of defeat and redemption, what with the Mandarin and Killian doing what they can to destroy all that Stark had built up to this point. Everyone keeps telling me that he's going to die in this and in truth, I just don't see that route being taken in this film. I think Stark will come out of this challenge stronger than before and finally come full circle with who he is and what his ongoing mission is, as well as answering the movie's central question "does the man make the suit or the suit make the man?"

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Gambit1024

Well as long as it's an Iron Man movie, and not an Avengers commercial, it'll be all good.

Maxman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Maxman3

I'm relieved that that it will still maintain some aspect of it's humor!

Maxman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maxman3

@Gambit1024: I have no doubt the film will include some teaser to phase two of The Avengers

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Gambit1024

@Maxman3: I don't mind a teaser, but I don't want what Iron Man 2 was.

ALdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ALdragon17

Ah, Batman is different from any other super hero. I just don' see him (Ironman) losing stuff and some how rise like Batman. Batman has lost his parents, pint of blood (diffidently an understatement), and his back. With that being said I hope it would be funny as the other two.

TheRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheRobin

So far the movie sort of looks like The Dark Knight Rises but for Iron Man, It seems as if Iron Man is going to build his character a lot more in this movie and you will find out exactly what Iron Man is fighting for.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By MethoKi

@jinxuandi: Actually, Tony is alot like Bruce in truth. It's just how he was made. I honestly think he was somewhat a rip-off of Batman. Having a similar life (Parents dead, closest friend works for them, rich, intelligent, playboy socialite around people, but in truth are alone, has no powers). So I wouldn't call it a clone of Dark Knight Rises although I feel as if Tony IS a somewhat rip of Bruce.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jinxuandi

@Batman242: In original conception, certainly. When introduced in the 1960s, Tony Stark was pretty clearly Marvel's rendition of Bruce Wayne (most other Marvel characters created during the "Marvel Age" were takes on DC characters, which is fine). But within the "cineverses" of the 2000s, I think Batman is a much darker character than Tony, who is constantly quipping and cracking jokes even in the midst of battle.

.Longshot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By .Longshot.

I think they can strike a good balance between humor and drama. The truth is, Tony has a lot of stuff about himself that he has to face, stuff he's intentionally steered clear of for the last three movies. He likes living large and fast, but when you have the kind of power he has, you can't do that forever without having to own up. Doesn't mean he can't fit a few snarky remarks in there.

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mbembet

i still remember how downey jr bash tdk and tdkr in this year comic con interview and yet they're making a dark more gritty iron man 3. irony that is

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.