Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11209 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Playing with War

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

There’s just going to be mounds and mounds of smoking spent casings piling up this spring.   Can you guess why?

I... am... War Machine.
     I... am... War Machine.

Bingo! Give the kid an all-expenses-paid trip to Club Med.

That’s right, in addition to War Machine blasting into IRON MAN 2 (and rocking out to AC/DC along the way), he’s also going to be a playable character in Sega’s interactive tie-in, appropriately titled IRON MAN 2: THE VIDEO GAME.  Now, I can be an uncouth sleuth when I want to be, but you might be wondering how, oh how, did I find out about it this?

BLA-DANG! There’s a clue even more incriminating than a smoking gun.   

D.O.U.B.T.F.U.L.
     D.O.U.B.T.F.U.L.

You’ll notice that, in addition to ol’ Rhodey blazing through rounds like ammunition’s gone half-priced, there’s also some shots of ol’ Shellhead fighting some nogoodniks in yellow hazmat suits who look suspiciously like agents of AIM.   Now, don’t get excited… these games throw in a lot of extra foes into all their levels, even if they aren’t in the movie, so I doubt you’ll get to see MODOK and his minders in the blockbuster sequel.

But what about the details? The specifics?   Here’s the word straight from the press release’s lips…

Armed with a wide array of weapons, War Machine--piloted by James Rhodes--offers gamers a chance to play through " Iron Man 2: The Video Game" with artillery and offensive capabilities significantly different from those used by Iron Man/Tony Stark. And the beauty of it is that you'll be able to choose which character you want to use and how you want to play through "Iron Man 2: The Video Game." It's a good day to be a gamer.

The sprite of war.
     The sprite of war.

Sounds like a similar gimmick to playing as X or Zero in MEGA MAN X3, or Ghost or Niobe in ENTER THE MATRIX - - which both worked just splendidly for me.   It’s also exciting to see Iron Man and War Machine tearing it up in the vidya games. Far too many years have passed since their palette-swapped days in the MARVEL VS. CAPCOM series.  

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com

daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By daveydavey

I like War Machine.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

MODOK FTW

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By cmaprice

I enjoy choices. Like Sonic & Knuckles. Completely changes gameplay between characters.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be honest when i say that the Sega game based on the first movie was one of the worst
    games ive played in some time. i was actually falling asleep at one point while trying to play it.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @CATMANEXE:
    Damn that's disappointing cause I was wanting to play the game. But I when I see thoughts like yours towards the game. It makes me not want to play it. Hopefully, they'll improve on the 2nd one.
    dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By dane

hope it doesnt suck as bad as the Iron Man 1 game.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By danhimself

the second game's story was written by Matt Fraction so the story might be good but who knows what the game play is going to be like

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By SevanGrim

yeah, i think AIM guys where in the first game too, so dont get your hopes up on that.  
     I liked the first one for the most part. Some of the battles where too complicated, but the controls/graphics/sound/ story was pretty good. Well, i didnt actually finish the game. But i think i got a bit over half, and it was fun.

Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @CATMANEXE said:

"I'll be honest when i say that the Sega game based on the first movie was one of the worst games ive played in some time. i was actually falling asleep at one point while trying to play it. "

I heard that too. Man that's a shame, an Iron Man game had potential. I feel bad for comic book superhero games now more than ever. Arkham Asylum set the bar absurdly high. Not to mention, considering most superhero games prior were subpar at best to begin with, that made Arkham seem all the more unreachably amazing. In fact, I think the only one that significantly impressed me since X-Men on Sega Genesis was Spider-Man 2.    

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Meteorite

I don't think the first game was as bad as everyone made it out to be. By no means was it the best game ever, but at the same time I would hardly call it the worst game I've ever played.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Namor1987

that mean PS2 too?

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

This looks promising. Judging from what I saw in the trailer combat looks improved and it looks like they really improved the melee

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Moomin123

This looks cool. It makes me wanna buy the game.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goldenkey

who cares who you can play as, just make the game fun.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I'd rather play as M.O.D.O.K.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @Bruce Vain: It's true, the game is hideous and to top it off mine kept crashing so i traded it in post haist. best game to play as Iron Man is Ultimate alliance 2.
    crazed_h3ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By crazed_h3ro

THIS...IS...AWESOME!!! o_O. War Machine is one of my top fav Marvel heros. I want the game now LOL

WickedWays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WickedWays

I know the first game was pretty damn bad, but from what I just read an article where the creative director for the new game explains why this one will not suck. Two things I read that should give this game a consideration is they are taking some influence from Batman: Arkham Asylum (really good idea) and the game has an original story so it isn't based on the new movie giving the developers more freedom to be creative.  Also, the creative director used to make flight sim games so we can be at least be a little less worried about Iron Man's flying mechanic being broken.  Here's a link to the article: http://kotaku.com/5464412/sega-offers-reasons-iron-man-2-wont-be-dreadful

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.