Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11209 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Pinchuk's Impressions of IRON MAN 2

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

So I just got out of watching IRON MAN 2 at the dome in Hollywood’s famous Arclight theater (thankfully not in Iron Man's arc reactor core). Rather than doing a traditional review and covering ground you’ll get in other areas, I’ll just share my impressions of a few key points.

• I have something of an odd relationship with this movie. The first news article I wrote for Comic Vine was about AC/DC releasing an IRON MAN 2 tie-in album and I feel like I’ve done 90% of our articles covering the news, rumors, tie-ins, sequel talk and so on relating to this movie. As such, I can’t help thinking that the crew must have had more than a chuckle or two over all the rumor-mongering. Thor is NOT a prisoner in Monaco. Kate Mara DOESN'T play Iron Maiden. And, despite the firestorm of speculation and secrecy, Olivia Munn’s cameo isn’t that significant. She definitely doesn’t play Wasp, nor Madame Masque, nor Maria Hill. She basically plays herself... for all of ten seconds.
    • The thing about the first IRON MAN movie was that it didn’t feel like a superhero movie, and that was something of a double-edge sword. On the one edge, so to speak, it had a strong focus on character development and charming dialogue and it was comfortable enough to set time aside for down-to-Earth scenes - - like Tony’s night out in Vegas and his confessional press conference - - that added a lot believability to the fantasy. However, on the other edge… I don’t know about you, but a primary reason I go to see superhero movies is to see superheroic action. While it was still competently done, most of the action scenes felt like after-thoughts, especially those with Jeff Bridges as Iron Monger. That’s been rectified here, and I’m pleasantly surprised to find out that a lot of that probably has to do with Genndy Tartakovsky being specifically brought on to design and storyboard the action scenes. If anybody has seen SAMURAI JACK or CLONE WARS, you’ll understand that he’s brought something significant to this movie.
    • Fans have been disappointed that the classic DEMON IN A BOTTLE storyline won’t be covered in the movies and I have to say that I agree with crew’s position on it. You can get away with an extended storyline about Tony being an alcoholic in the comics, but, like they said, kids don’t want to see Iron Man's adult-oriented struggles with addiction. Actually, the scene where Tony gets drunk and starts making a fool of himself covers that all well enough. You get that he’s on crash-course of self-destruction and depression with just one (hilarious) scene… it doesn’t need to keep repeated. This whole thing was cherrypicked from DEMON IN A BOTTLE (and ARMOR WARS) anyway, and I was very pleased to see the credits not only acknowledging IM’s creators, but also the talents that have contributed to his character over the years like Bob Layton and John Byrne.

So yeah, great acting, direction, writing and so on. This is everything you want in a blockbuster. Something that’ll please the fans while still being accessible to the general populace. 4.5/5

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Mcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mcfly

mickey rourke was a pretty kick ass villain.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

i agree with some of what you had to say.

m_man360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By m_man360

Bad film. Too much going on. I think that it's unfair for people to pick on Spider-man 3 if this movie was exactly the same.

Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

I can't seem to decide whether I like this one or the first one because they seemed like 2 completely different films to me still it was so mother F@!/ing awesome 
    P.S did anybody notice the reference to the incredible Hulk  

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I have a love hate relationship with the movie, it was good but but a bit rushed. But the reason most people probably are disappointed is because the trailers were the movie. TOO MUCH was given away prior to the movie so there was really no surprises to the movie. But overall the best fights were Black widow's n Iron just flew around most of the time.
     But RDJ rocked the Tony stark role again, only one to play a douche and remain likable. Um black widow needed a lil bit more character development and the final battle should have been more intense between whiplash and tony. Also whiplash(this version) had a lil bit of untapped potential for a real plot driver.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jordanstine

It delivers for what it was... SOLID FUN!

Or should I say Iron Fun!

m_man360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By m_man360

Too many villains cocked it up entirely. It's VILLAIN can be easily forgettable, who the hell is going to remember Vanko...NO ONE.War Machine, The Hammer-drones and Whiplash and Black Widow...just to many characters and things going around. Let's not forget Justin Hammer himself. The first one was WAY better. If they get around to making a THIRD, i would like to see them go back to the first one's roots. One villain please. Just one. Titanium Man, maybe as Justin Hammer ready for revenge.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By SevanGrim

i loved that Tony's father was roughly the same type of guy.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Primmaster64
    @IronSpidy-Rooney: Notice the Cap reference?
    Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hellos

I loved the film, Robert Downey Jr came in and did an awsome job with Stark, I do feel like we didn't see too much of Pepper this time around and I was missing BW not talking in a russian accent, but overall funny and a very cool movie.  Rhodey looks like a champ as Warmachine.

Overall the action was just about a ton times better this time around, pretty much making for a much more interesting final villian fight over Iron Monger(I wasn't a fan of Iron Monger fight, too goofy :P This time around we had a villian taking on BOTH our heroes). It was nice to see a bit of comedy break some of the more serious scenes as well. :P

Even motivates me to buy the seemingly not so well reviewed IM2 game that apparently was based after the main story with no spoilers.  Hopefully I'll wait till it goes down in price.

Final thoughts:  
    I'm seeing it again, atleast one more time. MORE MONEY TO FEED THE AVENGERS / IRONMAN 3 RAWRRR. I really am going to like to see how they pull off a live action Avengers. :P  

I think most IM fans and marvel fans/comics in general won't be disapointed. I'm expecting them to be left wanting more esepcially after the credits scene :P  

I'm hoping DC gets around to starts moving towards a JL film as well.

@m_man360
    said:

"Bad film. Too much going on. I think that it's unfair for people to pick on Spider-man 3 if this movie was exactly the same. "

Not even close, Spiderman 3 was a disaster of characters, a green Goblin that was some !@#$!@# on a snow board, Venom and the sandman didn't get at all the screen time they needed for me to care. It would have been SOOO much better to split those two up ino individual films and not have the story suffer so much. 

Iron Man 2 however worked rather well for me. Basically we see the return of characters, actual developement and setting plot for the Avengers expanding on the Marvel Movieverse. Along with a lot of hilarious little things, like the captain america's shield cameo. :P

Then we have some kickass action scenes, which Ironman and Warmachine actually get to show off their suits abilities and beat the villian.
    I honestly can't imagine anyone holding Spiderman 3 up and saying that the two are comparable though.  

Oh you made another comment? Your not just one fan that didn't like it and decided to spend a good chunk of time flooding the thread with I don't like posts did you? 

@m_man360 said:

"Too many villains cocked it up entirely. It's VILLAIN can be easily forgettable, who the hell is going to remember Vanko...NO ONE.War Machine, The Hammer-drones and Whiplash and Black Widow...just to many characters and things going around. Let's not forget Justin Hammer himself. The first one was WAY better. If they get around to making a THIRD, i would like to see them go back to the first one's roots. One villain please. Just one. Titanium Man, maybe as Justin Hammer ready for revenge. "

How was it too many villians? Whiplash and Justin Hammer and I think Rourke did a great job. He came off as a Russian scary man who killing people left and right. Justin Hammer came off as the anti Tony Stark that wasn't as likable to the other characters and essentially evil. 

Theres a lot of spoilers in your post btw. 
    Way better? I can say the plot was a lot more enriching with the whole self made hero escaping to save the day. Action this time around was still a thousand times better. 

They already have a third film on the plan, the first ones roots revolved around a character that is dead and escaping terrorists (Ten Rings) which might lead to some more villians a bit more mystical in nature. 

Honestly I don't see how the two villian thing didn't work out this film? One was actually doing the action while the other was more so in the shadows. Instead of them both slamming onto the screen doing one big messy fight then one going for forgiveneess flying away in the wind.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By robokungfu

This was brainless, button-pushing movie-making by all means.  There is almost no story and just advertisements for the Avengers movie which kind of made this movie mostly pointless.  VERY disappointed.  Worse than Spider-Man 3?  Absolutely!

jacobyLIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jacobyLIVE
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @IronSpidy-Rooney: Notice the Cap reference? "
    You mean the shield?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Primmaster64
    @jacobyLIVE: 
    yep
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@jacobyLIVE said:
    " @Primmaster64 said:
    " @IronSpidy-Rooney: Notice the Cap reference? "
    You mean the shield? "

I loved that bit and at the end when hahaha bet you thought I was going to reveal it
    mister garbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mister garbage
    @IronSpidy-Rooney said:
    "P.S did anybody notice the reference to the incredible Hulk   "
    Huh? Refresh my memory... i must've missed something.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @m_man360 said:
    " Bad film. Too much going on. I think that it's unfair for people to pick on Spider-man 3 if this movie was exactly the same. "
    Pfft. Every other character wasn't ruined.

Harry - Became Two-Face Goblin
    MJ - Annoying (As usual)
    Peter - Emo
    Venom - Not Venom at all
    Gwen - .... no comment on how bad that was

The only character they got right was Norman's ghost. And he was there, for what, ten seconds? Thirty?

ANYWAY, I liked this movie a lot.
    Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Archetype

Tom Pinchuk have I told you lately that I love you?

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By ElJuano

This movie RAWWWWWKKKKKEEEEDDDD!!!!!!! I've seen it 3 times already and I can't wait for it on BluRay. I loved the 1st one and this one delivers on many levels. Very interesting to see how Thor will do. I really hope everyone who has something negative to say goes and sees it. I've talked to a few ppl who have not seen it but already hate it... oh well! It is a fun entertaining movie and well worth the ticket price. I went to the afternoon matinée and had a blast. 

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No_name_here
    @Archetype:  This "Tom Pinchuck" must be a lucky guy.
    ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By ComicStooge

I loved the movie...

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By -Eclipse-

Sweet, both Tom and G-Man agree that it was an awesome movie! Now I don't feel so stupid for loving it, lol 

Totally think they should go the Mandarin route for the threequel, maybe toss in a little magic? I mean, by the time it comes out, we'll have already seen Iron Man buddying it up with Thor, the Norse God of Thunder with a big magic hammer, so what's a little more magic?

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Archetype
    @Tom Pinchuk: You should get to know him.He's one wild and crazy guy.He wouldn't even notice an extra c in his name were someone foolish enough to include one.Regardless he is a lucky fella i suppose lol
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By goldenkey

I didn't know Gennedy did the story boards, but now that you mention it, the scene at the end, (no spoiler you've seen it in the trailer) where the drones are are landing around them totally had his feel.  Gennedy is considered one of if not the best animated action directors, and his work on Jack was great.  Usually about a ten minute story drawn out with great close up and slo mos.  Even the when Iron Man does a fly by and a car alram goes off followed by the drones and about 300 alarms go off is his humor as well.  Well done.
    jdeluca2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jdeluca2

Bad Ass movie!!!!!! 

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_fallen11

I liked the movie alot. very funny...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.