Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11205 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Paul Bettany Is Not Sure If We'll 'Hear' Jarvis In Iron Man 2

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    As you may recall, in the first Iron Man movie, Tony Stark's digital butler was called Jarvis.  Jarvis was an artificial intelligence that Stark talked to while working out the kinks of becoming Iron Man.  What you may not know is the voice was provided by Paul Bettany (Legion, The Da Vinci Code, Wimbledon).  If you didn't know that or forgot about it, don't worry, you're not the only one.  If fact, Bettany himself even forgot about it after he did it.

In an interview last week with IGN UK, Bettany talked about doing the role:

I was on the set of Legion. It was the weekend after Iron Man opened, and some of the crew came in and were like, 'Hey, I was listening to Iron Man. You're in Iron Man, right?' 'No, I'm not.' And they said, 'Well, it sounds like you.' And then I went, 'Oh, wait! I am!' 

Recording the voiceover for the first movie took about an hour.  Bettany had a great time working with Favreau but completely forgot about recording the lines right after doing so.  

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Will we "hear" Jarvis in the second Iron Man?  Bettany's not sure.  He says he's not sure if he'll be coming back or not.  We can assume this means he hasn't recorded any lines yet and not that he's simply forgotten again.  I have to admit that when I heard Jarvis' name mentioned in the first, I was a little disappointed.  Having Stark's computer system named after the character means we most likely won't actually see Jarvis in the movies.  It's not like I'm the biggest Jarvis fan but he's been an important character in the Avengers' history.  Now the poor guy probably won't get a chance to cross over to the big screen.  Unless the 'real' Jarvis was on vacation and Tony just couldn't bear the thought of being without him and named his computer after Jarvis.  

If the first movie only required an hour, there's still a chance Bettany will be called in last minute to record some lines.  Do you care if we 'hear' Jarvis in Iron Man 2?  The movie opens May 7, 2010.
    LordX1095

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By LordX1095

xD no kidding about a slow news morning...  Anyways... yeah was disappointed as well with the "digital butler Jarvis" of the first movie. Here's hoping they change that for the Avengers movie at least.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Decept-O

I thought it was brilliant that Jarvis appeared as an A.I. system for Stark.    I'd be surprised if "Jarvis" didn't show up for IM 2.
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DH69

i hope to hell they bring back a.i. jarvis, to me it suits the movie world better instead of seeing a stuffy butler walk aroud. plus in the first one pepper basically said that she did most of the run around for stark

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Moomin123

I dunno if I prefer Jarvis as a machine or a butler. I hope Bettany returns as him though.

TS1BLACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TS1BLACK

I THINK THAT IT IS PRETTY BAD THAT WE WONT SEE JARVIS ,HE IS DEFINITLY A BIG PART OF THE AVENGERS AND WHAT HE WENT THOUGH JUST WITH THE MASTERS OF EVIL WAS ENOUGH FOR ME TO KNOW THAT THE BUTLER IS TUFF ASS HELL TO TAKE SOME PUNCHES FROM MISTER HYDE,I WOULD HOPE THAT THEY WOULD PUT HIM ON THA BIG SCREEN MAYBE HE SHOW UP IN THE 2012 AVENGERS MOVIE.

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!
    @TS1BLACK said:
    "

I THINK THAT IT IS PRETTY BAD THAT WE WONT SEE JARVIS ,HE IS DEFINITLY A BIG PART OF THE AVENGERS AND WHAT HE WENT THOUGH JUST WITH THE MASTERS OF EVIL WAS ENOUGH FOR ME TO KNOW THAT THE BUTLER IS TUFF ASS HELL TO TAKE SOME PUNCHES FROM MISTER HYDE,I WOULD HOPE THAT THEY WOULD PUT HIM ON THA BIG SCREEN MAYBE HE SHOW UP IN THE 2012 AVENGERS MOVIE.

"

OK WHY IS EVERYTHING IN CAPS WE GET YOUR POINT!!
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!:
    lol
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

So when does Jarvis actually become a butler instead of a machine?

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Bergquist
    @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    "So when does Jarvis actually become a butler instead of a machine? "

yes
    the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the Vica

If Jarvis was a butler the general public would complain about Iron Man being too similar to Batman. I think the A.I. idea worked fine.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @the Vica said:
    "If Jarvis was a butler the general public would complain about Iron Man being too similar to Batman. I think the A.I. idea worked fine. "
    Matt Fraction liked the idea enough that he used the idea in his comim, which I have not been minding one bit, but since I've started reading Mighty Avengers, I kind of do miss the real Jarvis a little. And I don't think people would really care if they have either Jarvis in the film, it would be cool if Jarvis popped up Iron Man 2, but since there has been no word of who would play him, I"m sadly doubtful of the idea, but since it only took Paul to record his line for the first one, he'll probably just come in the months to come to do them or they may just get someone else to do them, I wouldn"t understand why Marvel wouldn't want Jarvis in the movie, just as long as they don't use his Ultimate conuterpart.
    crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crazywolf

I was surprised and disappointed at the same time when I saw the computerized Jarvis. Would have been cool to see Edwin Jarvis in the movie. I understood why they did it though and it worked out in the end. It probably won't matter either way if Jarvis is in IM2.

Jay-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jay-Man

I don't really care if he's in it or not... I just want to see the movie!!!

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kimeraevet

The A.I Jarvis makes complete sense. Tony has Pepper and Happy both as personal assistants. He lives in the most technologically advanced house in the world. The guy built a suit of high tech war armor in the movie. He had robotic A.I. helper arms. Wouldn't it have seemed a bit strange that he couldn't come up with an automated vacuum?

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By grimreaper1980

why not

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.