Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11197 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Off My Mind: Will Iron Man Have a Baby This Year?

• 74 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Every now and then we get comic book stories that take place in the future. They give a chance to possibly see where our favorite characters might end up. In this week's Invincible Iron Man #500, we get a look at Tony Stark's possible future. At first I was sucked into the action of the story but then I started thinking about the implications of some of the events, in particular, is Tony Stark going to become a father this year? 

No Caption Provided
    Without getting completely into the specifics of the story, we find out that Tony Stark is supposed to be 35 years old today. That in itself could be open for debate and brings up the question of how old are other characters such as Peter Parker (who also appears in the issue)? The story then flashes forward to the year 2052. We see a couple characters that we have to assume are Stark's descendants. There is a Howard Anthony Stark II who is 41 years old. 
    No Caption Provided
    Do the math. What does it tell you? 
    == TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided
    If this Howard Anthony Stark II is 41 years old in the year 2052, that means he was born in the year...2011! Is Matt Fraction trying to tell us something? Is Tony Stark going to become a father this year?  

Tony Stark is clearly not father material. Part of it is his father wasn't really there for him. That doesn't mean he couldn't be a father himself. With his current status in trying to get Stark Resilient running and being an active member of the Avengers, I can't see him willing to take time to change diapers. He might be able to lead a team or business but becoming a father has a completely different set of responsibilities. If Tony Stark becomes a father, it will completely change who he is and let's not forget he barely remembers who he was since he had to have his memories deleted. 

Future stories don't always have affects on the current status of characters. We know that characters are pretty much frozen in time as we read their adventures. The fact that Fraction wrote it so a Stark offspring would have to be born in this year, that is a little more immediate. This also happened in the 500th issue. 500 is a big deal and it was a special over-sized issue. I'm sure writers are thinking how their stories will hold up later and if there isn't a Stark baby this year, the story here almost will become obsolete. Fraction has been killing it with this series and I can't see him taking something like this lightly. 
    No Caption Provided
    It could be said that this future story could be compared to the X-Men's Days of Future Past. That future story has had big effects on the X-Men but it's a future that they will never reach (simply because it will pretty much put an end to the series). The same could be said here. The chances are we will not see Iron Man at age 76 (if he even lives that long). But having a baby born this year is more immediate. 

We have just under a year to wait (actually less since the baby would have to be born this year so the time of conception is fast approaching, ask your parents if you're confused). Could Tony be a father? Does he have what it takes? Who would the mother be? (There is another descendant in issue #500 that might give some clues). Would this be a planned event or more of an accident? Tony Stark as a father would drastically change his character and I don't see this as something that Marvel would want with Iron Man, especially at this moment.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

And if you're wondering about those Iron Baby images and haven't seen it already, check it out here.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By JonesDeini
    @G-Man:  
    One will forever love that video,  
    2, doubt Stark will have a kid this year. Not that I'm against it so to speak, always down for character advancement, but doubt the editors will allow the pieces to fall into place for that great future story to happen. 
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Chaos Burn

interesting theory, Reed and Sue Richards have had kids, so has Luke Cage. As far as plots go, I hope Stark doesn't abandon the child only for it to reappear in a few years wanting to kill his father - that plot is old....

daikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By daikari

Truthfully I'm surprised it has taken this long for that possibility to happen. After all stark has been known in pretty much all realities as a genius billionaire alcoholic playboy.

Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Sir Duke

I always worry when writers give comic characters definitive ages.  If Tony Stark is 35 then that means the character, who was created in 1963, wasn't born until 1976.  I figure writers should steer clear of giving definite dates and ages in comics.  At least we know who the mother of Howard Stark II is.  Looking at the tombstones on the last page, you can clearly see 'Virginia Potts Stark.'  Given everything that Pepper said at the end of the last issue's back-up story, some very interesting times lie ahead for Tony and Pepper.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Misterwizz
    @Sir Duke: 
    Um in comics characters age must slower than in real life.
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Eventually but not this year...

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Icemizer

Kids in comics tend to create more problems than they are worth for any storyline. Franklin Richards being an obvious one. Now saying Tony will have a kid in the future and showing us that future is all fine and dandy. We can always use the handy comic time slider to keep moving that future forward as our characters stay relatively the same age. But if we actually have the child born and exist, continuity quickly becomes a problem. He can never really get very old because then we have to age Tony Stark as well.  Sure we can rapid age him(destroying the possible future we already saw) or send him off to another dimension or my favorite have him go live with a relative for a few years and just come back older, but all of these ideas are just lame.  
    It is far better never to have the child in the first place. Tony Stark the Father really sets up nothing interesting for the character.
    Cytorrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cytorrak

He's setting  up a plot string for a future writer to pick up maybe? It can be 2010 for a long time in the comic book, and any shifting in dates can be explained by it being a different alternate future.

Either way, I think it's a bad idea. I get the impression there's a certain lifestyle which perhaps the writers are going through that they seem to want to... oppress onto every damn character in the Marvel universe.

Why can't anyone have a happy marriage? Why do all children being born have to either happen outside of marriage, or in an alternate future? The most recent annoyance for me was Hope, because I knew she wouldn't stay a baby long, I knew either through magic of "enhanced mutation" or time travel, very soon she'd be a teenager or adult, and sure enough that's what they did. It's what they always do. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes someone's just having to clean up someone else's mistake.

Fantastic Four is the only exception I can think of, but generally a character lugging a baby around doesn't really mesh well with action comic books, either the character has to be taken out of commission to take care of the baby, or much worse, they carry it into battle with them. That can't last long, so eventually the baby is sucked through a time vortex, or kidnapped by a villain, and comes back much older.

Perhaps it's as simple as many writers being left by their wives only to get some girl he barely met pregnant, and then never see it until it's grown up.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Sir Duke: 
    after reading your comments it sounds like you read up on this, so please correct me where im wrong. Also who was the other Stark in the comic, wasnt it a female?

@G-Man:

Its funny that this is brought up now bc this thought just randomly popped in my head last night (thinking everyone else is slowed in age or immortal or have kids, its about time for Tony to have some offspring). 

My first thought was he would go the was of Jengo Fett. Cloning himself and raising it as his own. 

My next thought was while he was on the run in his Dismantled arc, he had intercourse with atleast Maria hill, and Pepper Potts. I cant remember if he did it with anyone else or how long its been since that has happened but those are two potentials. 

My final thought is that if it didnt happen due to thought #2, then maybe he will actually end up in a relationship with Pepper. I havent been able to pick up all of the recent issues but i know that Tony undeniably loves Pepper and wants to be with her it seems while Pepper on the other hand has shown (while talking to Happy in a dream or something) that she loves Tony just isnt in love with Tony and doesnt seem to actually want to be with him.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'll never understand what's wrong with characterst ohave kids? This is like the issue with Spider-Man being married. Marvel says that it would  hurt the character, I think the totally opposite, I personally think this would be a very interesting idea to bring into the story. Tony Stark with a kid, it's new, it's fresh, and it's bold. The thing that's funny is that everyone's like "time moves slow in the comics" and maybe that's the thing, we're so USE to everything being slow and being the same status quo, but what happens if the status que is changed? What if Fraction is actually trying to do something different, something new with the character? I mean we've seen him battle his personal demons already, weapons, drinking, women, addicted to the armor itself. So why not something different? I mean like it has been stated, Tony has daddy issues, so maybe that's what Fraction wants Stark to deal with next: What if Tony Stark become a father?

Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sir Duke
    @Misterwizz: no $%#@.  It's something that implicit to all characters that they stay roughly the same age even as time passes.  It's something you have to accept as part of the illusion.  When a writer outright states the age of a character and gives concrete dates and info, it breaks that illusion.
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@G-Man said:
    " And if you're wondering about those Iron Baby images and haven't seen it already, check it out here. "
    Most... awesome....thing....ever...
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @mrmisanthrope:
    Luke Cage and his wife have a child who isnt' sent through time or magically aged (yet). 

Also in DC the flash has kids that while they have gone through time and be aged and deaged, actually seem to be growing at a pretty normal rate (for most comic characters)
    Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sir Duke
    @DEGRAAF: Yeah, you're right about all that.  Pepper is definitely not in love with Tony, so the fact that #500 suggests they'll be married makes me think we'll be seeing a lot of unique and great character interactions between the two.  I don't think Pepper will fall in love with Tony, so how and why they get married will be interesting to watch.  By the other Stark do you mean Ginny?  I honestly don't know if she's Tony's daughter or granddaughter.  If you mean the third stark gravestone, it's debatable what the name is, but it clearly reads 'Virginia Potts Stark' to me.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Billy Batson
    @G-Man said:
    "And if you're wondering about those Iron Baby images and haven't seen it already, check it out here. "

seen it.
    antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By antiterra
    @mrmisanthrope said:

" The most recent annoyance for me was Hope, because I knew she wouldn't stay a baby long, I knew either through magic of "enhanced mutation" or time travel, very soon she'd be a teenager or adult, and sure enough that's what they did. "

I agree with your general point, but I have to disagree with this particular example. Hope is more of a counter-example here, because she was handled remarkably well and was given much more time to grow than most comic book babies.

I understand the disconnect if you left her as a newborn at the end of Messiah Complex only to meet up with her again at the beginning of Second Coming, but the entire 25-issue run of Cable (as well as the Messiah War crossover) was dedicated to chronicling her 17-year journey through the time stream.

Again, you have a point when it comes to children generally being plucked out of some future and/or parallel Earth, retconned into past storylines, cloned directly into adulthood and other clichéd plot devices, but Hope is one of the very few who were actually given ample time and space to grow up.

rum1929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By rum1929

He should have at least one child out there considering all the women he has hooked up with over the years.

Imagine if he had a child with Natasha Romanova...that child would become a hero/villain dubbed Iron Widow.

spiderguylll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spiderguylll

At Tony's kid...EWWWW

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#20  Edited By cbishop

Skipped a lot of comments here, but since both universes have continuity, it would be sound planning for Marvel and DC both to start having their characters have kids.  Otherwise, we can only assume their will be more Crisis/ Heroes Reborn reboots.  Whether that's what is actually happening here is up for debate.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By Decept-O

So Iron Baby's real identity is actually Cool Baby?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

How is Iron Man 35? Wasn't he damn near 40 during Civil War?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Sir Duke said:
    " @DEGRAAF: Yeah, you're right about all that.  Pepper is definitely not in love with Tony, so the fact that #500 suggests they'll be married makes me think we'll be seeing a lot of unique and great character interactions between the two.  I don't think Pepper will fall in love with Tony, so how and why they get married will be interesting to watch.  By the other Stark do you mean Ginny?  I honestly don't know if she's Tony's daughter or granddaughter.  If you mean the third stark gravestone, it's debatable what the name is, but it clearly reads 'Virginia Potts Stark' to me. "

i was talking about Ginny. Thanks, thats the one i couldnt remember. I assumed she was a granddaughter. If i remember me doing my math right was that meaning that Tony was like 71 in that future timeline connected to the wires, powering up Mandarin.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DEGRAAF

also wasnt there a future version of him or a kid of his in the first arc of the New "Avengers" comics

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ForbushBug

So Tony can design an armor that can stop the world's most dangerous villain but not a condom that can keep his little Starks at bay. And ya know, 35 actually seems young for Tony and not just because Downey is ten years old than that. He's one of the Marvel Age's earliest heroes and was an industrialist with government connections when he debuted. He seemed older than your average mid-twenties hero then and years of "Marvel time" have passed since. I've just pictured him sorta like Green Arrow... in his early 40's, which makes both their womanizer acts a little sad and thus more human.

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @War Killer said:
    "

I'll never understand what's wrong with characterst ohave kids? This is like the issue with Spider-Man being married. Marvel says that it would  hurt the character, I think the totally opposite, I personally think this would be a very interesting idea to bring into the story. Tony Stark with a kid, it's new, it's fresh, and it's bold. The thing that's funny is that everyone's like "time moves slow in the comics" and maybe that's the thing, we're so USE to everything being slow and being the same status quo, but what happens if the status que is changed? What if Fraction is actually trying to do something different, something new with the character? I mean we've seen him battle his personal demons already, weapons, drinking, women, addicted to the armor itself. So why not something different? I mean like it has been stated, Tony has daddy issues, so maybe that's what Fraction wants Stark to deal with next: What if Tony Stark become a father?

"
    This right here. I'm actually planning on picking up Iron Man next time I'm in the store (500 seems like a good jumping on point) and I personally would love to see this kind of story.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Iron Man doesn't need a baby.Something is going to happen to it.I just know it.Stark Jr. is going to get thrashed by the Hulkbuster or something.I know it.

RYU/BATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By RYU/BATMAN

Maybe he has a secret kid that he doesn't even know about

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mumbles

keep him a playboy

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Yes! I am the same age as Iron Man! I feel rejuvenated!
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Tony is not........ well ........... Parenthood material......Who is the lucky Mama?!

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Martian

I think that the baby's mother is Pepper ;)

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @G-Man said:

" And if you're wondering about those Iron Baby images and haven't seen it already, check it out here. "

Great stuff! I love this video, and a Fellow Canadian made it!!

ha ha anyways, I havent read the issue yet (thanks for spoiling j/k ;) ) Im cool with this news, A baby could work in a story but also a baby is a main Plug for "Jumping the Shark" so I hope we arn't heading in that direction.

On a side note, they have mentioned before that captain america was supposedly thawed out 10 years ago in 616 continuity, so if spider-man was around 14 when he started and this happened maybe a year or two after he was already spider-man, I'd say spiderman is about 25 or 26 years old.  Ha ha that's just how I would work it out.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

He better get busy on finding a mother for this child.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Sir Duke:  
    Ginny's his Grand daughter, and she looks pretty much like her Grand Mother, Pepper. 
    Sir Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sir Duke
    @ForbushBug: You're right, if Robert Downey Jr can play Iron Man at 45, there's no reason comic book Tony shouldn't be that age as well.  For what it's worth, I don't think him being 35 is important in regards to being Tony's age, but in letting us figure out that his son is going to be born this year.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JonesDeini

As far as Pepper not being in love with Tony goes, that can change easily and organically. My ol' lady didn't start out in love with me either, but she came around :P

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By danhimself

I was just talking to someone yesterday about how at some point Captain America's origin will have to be updated to a more recent war other than World War II and they asked why...I said well Iron Man originally got his shrapnel in Vietnam War, then they changed it to the Gulf War, and now it happened in Afghanistan.....now in some media they say that Tony's father Howard hung out with Captain America...that was like 70 years ago now....and in all images Howard is an adult standing alongside Captain America....and they asked well how old is Tony Stark...I said probably around 35....so yeah I worked that story into an on-topic story....awesome for me

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By jordama

Time travel baby
    notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By notoriousbcb

The Iron Baby rocks!  If Stark does procreate, will the child contain all the memories of everyone's secret identity that Tony erased?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By doordoor123

Was Tony in his late 20's when he built ironman? It was built in 1963 and if about every 5 years=1 year then he was about 26 when he built ironman. Does that make sense? I took the age he is now (35) and subtracted every 5 years to 1 year down to the date ironman was built. Im guessing its around 5 years to 1.     
    If you think about it, it also applies to Peter Parker. How old was he when first became Spider-man? 15? 15 and then just add 9 years. Hes 24 now. Makes sense.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By leokearon

It should be interesting, of course who would the mother be Pepper or Bethany?
    blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blaakmawf

...but, the baby will shit the suit...

Avatar image for the_angry_comic_book_critic
    The Angry Comic Book Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

@G-Man: It's pepper potts she's the mother of Stark's possible kid last page of 500 you see a row of head stones and the name on one is Virginia Potts Stark so yeah that answers that question
    Green Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Green Flash

Well he did do the deed with Pepper, so the better question is, will Pepper become a mom?!  If you ask me, it would be kinda cool

Green Flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Green Flash

He also doesn't remember he did it with her...or Hill...JERRY JERRY!

Knox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Knox

Aw, man. I uploaded this film some time ago and only got a few views...

gui22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By gui22

Guys,guys it´s obvious that strak and someone else are going to have a kid but that will be 
    unknown for years then probably they are going to accelerate  his aging,train him give him a cool suit and then hes going to battle Stark!
    Super heroes plus babies don´t combine there is no such thing as a spider baby!
    Look what happened to cable!
    But we still got the X-babies!Hooray!

Niesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Niesa

I'd kinda like it. There's not much of a vibe for babies here, but I could go for some of that.
    Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

WHY, WHY does everyone have to take this amazing and possible thing away, it's time for STARK TO SETTLE DOWN. I would love to see him raise his children on his own, with the help of Rhodey and of course Potts to help out, this needs to happen now as fast as STARK is to hop on tail to tail who knows he could have a son few years younger than Franklin Richards.  Anyone, Someone PLEASE SUPPORT ME ON THIS: TONY STARK NEEDS TO PREPARE FOR DIAPER CHANGING I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN, BUT GUYS AT MARVEL GOOD JOB ON THE STORY BUT PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM OFF AND THEN STARK GOES INTO A DEPRESSION I DREAMT OF THE DAY WHEN STARK BEGINS: .....( DUN DUN DUN) FATHERHOOD. And Please don't sue, it's just an opinon of mine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.