Off My Mind: The End of Iron Man

• 100 results
Posted by G-Man (31704 posts) - - Show Bio

It takes more than superpowers and fancy gadgets to be a superhero. This is something that Tony Stark has known from the beginning of his career. His goals were originally to be a hero. Building the Iron Man suit came about out of necessity and survival. Once the suit was complete, Stark got a taste for being a hero.

Over the years, being Iron Man has resulted in many losses and sacrifices. Tony's personal life and business have often suffered due to the existence of Iron Man. The latest attacks might be enough to force Tony to give it all up.

With the joining of several of Iron Man's enemies along with other attacks to the world, Iron Man's credibility has been stretched past its limits. Tony Stark may be forced to stop being Iron Man and it's possible he might be willing to give it up himself.

This wouldn't be the first time he stopped being Iron Man. There has been other heroes that have given up their identity or passed the torch on to someone else. This could be Iron Man's time once again.

Are we about to see the end of Iron Man?

== TEASER ==

The immediate answer is "no way!" With The Avengers movie in May along with another Iron Man sequel coming, Marvel couldn't possibly put an end to Iron Man or replace him, right? While it seems comics are becoming more influenced by their big screen counterparts, we did have Bruce Wayne 'dead' in the comics when The Dark Knight was released.

Why is Tony have such a hard time being Iron Man right now? He is being attacked by the combined forces of the Mandarin, Ezekiel Stane and Justine Hammer. Iron Man normally would not have a problem being attacked but this time their approach is different. They are taking a more calculated approach over a physical one. This isn't the only battle Tony has to face. There's also the fact that Tony had to get drunk in order to save the world.

Tony Stark is an alcoholic. In order to gain the attention of Odin, he needed to make a sacrifice. He gave up his dignity and integrity to gain an audience with the all-father. Once in Asgard, he played an integral role in defeating the threat of the Serpent. Stark designed weapons that gave the heroes the edge they needed to win the battle.

The problem is, the public became aware that Tony had been drinking and wore the Iron Man armor. He has his enemies teaming up against him and the government (and public) believing he isn't worthy enough to wear his own armor.

Since Tony Stark designed his suit at his own cost, others shouldn't be able to tell him what to do. But if there is the chance of him using such an extremely powerful weapon while intoxicated, he becomes a threat to himself as well as to countless others.

This idea was part of what caused the birth of the Super-Human Registration Act which lead to the Civil War between the heroes. The belief was some heroes couldn't be responsible with their power. They needed training and approval by those in charge to ensure they wouldn't cause damage, destruction or death. If Tony Stark can't stay sober, he can't wear the suit.

What should be considered is why does Tony Stark dress up as Iron Man? Originally he needed the chestplate in order to survive when a piece of shrapnel was lodged and moving towards his heart. Soon afterwards he used the armor to defend against attacks on his company.

Tony's medical condition was eventually resolved and the attacks against his company became manageable. Besides just being "Tony Stark's bodyguard," Iron Man became a hero. He was a member of the Avengers. Tony Stark didn't put on the armor as much as to defend his company but more so to defend the innocent and threats against the world.

Heroes constantly have to put up with incredible odds. They have to sacrifice many things and rarely get the thanks they deserve. They are not appreciated as much as they should be.

If the authorities begin to demand that Tony stops operating as Iron Man, could that be something he could accept? How long can you allow yourself to get beat up by those that fail to appreciate everything you do? Should Tony say enough is enough and throw in the armor plated towel?

Of course, being that he is a hero at heart (no pun intended), he won't give up that easily. He might be forced to give up operating the armor but Tony is a brilliant and crafty person. Public outcry can be dealt with. People constantly turn their backs on the heroes regardless of the good they've done. They'll eventually forget or move on and find another target to revolt against. The government trying to control him is another issue. Whether or not they have the right to forbid him to use his own property might be something for his lawyers to deal with.

Tony may give up being Iron Man for a time, but we all know it won't last forever. He'll come up with a way to be allowed to operate as Iron Man or else some big threat will arise that will require Iron Man to save the day. Tony just needs to straighten up his life and deal with the Mandarin's plans. Tony Stark is Iron Man and Iron Man is a hero the Marvel Universe needs.

Staff
#1 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Whaat?

#2 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

If Marvel do that they are dead for me! :D

This is one of their better books and they don't have a lot of them.Why are they ready to end this?

#3 Posted by Illuminatus (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. Why do we constantly need too be updated that 616 Tony has a super-hard life? Ult. Tony is far more interesting, mostly due too the fact that he's not always whining about his drinking problems.  

Here's an idea: ask one of the numerous telepaths in Marvel too enter your mind and fix the problem. There. Done. Move on.

#4 Posted by SadiaVicious (133 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, this is serious?

Really?

#5 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT!!!

#6 Posted by DATNIGGA (1188 posts) - - Show Bio

when i saw that entire crew of his greatest bad guys up upgraded i thought yea hes dead.... i did think i was right tho Lol if iron man dies or stops being iron man its no biggie he'll be back in a few mouths lol most people dont even die that long well.. unless your jean grey

#7 Posted by LevukaR (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Calm down, of course he will come back eventually, but in some time of need. Iron Man is one of key characters in Marvel universe and always have a huge role in every event. So it's just like he is going to non paid vacation.

#8 Posted by saoakden (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

This comic will take place during the Avengers vs. X-Men event. & I mean when the event is going on, the comic will be released. So what then? Or is it someone else being Iron Man? Man, Tony can't get a break. He's always stressed about his armor falling into the wrong hands, trying to stay sober, making sure he doesn't screw up, his legacy. The media in the comics needs to cool it. It aint easy being Iron Man.

Seriously, their expectations for him are to high. I mean sure, he shouldn't be drunk like he was in Iron Man 2 and when he wore the armor, but he slipped during a really difficult time during the Marvel Universe. They were up against gods that were hard to beat and Asgard wasn't helping as much as they could of. He slips once and everyone gets on his back about it. It be like the public getting on Cap's back for not being at two places at once or something. I know they're fictional characters but I'm just saying, in the comic book world, they see superheroes as gods or something (with Thor with exception cause he is a god) and if they find one fault or little miss up or some sacrfice they had to make, they'll make it bad.

#9 Posted by _Zombie_ (10379 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody here seriously expects Marvel to make this stick, right?

#10 Posted by leokearon (1780 posts) - - Show Bio

It's going to be like Armor Wars, Tony gives up being Iron Man and then creates a new Iron Man armour and claims that someone new is in the Armour when there isn't really

#11 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3722 posts) - - Show Bio

If you ask me, some hero should quit for good already. But it`s obvious that he will come back after a few years tops...Or after 15...or 25...

But then again, a long pause in heroics, so that someone else can take the mantle (someone else will). It`s good to see a bit change, I guess, but then again, it wont be permanent. Which is almost a pity...

@ZombieBigfoot:

No, many don`t.

#12 Posted by Skaddix (3113 posts) - - Show Bio

@saoakden said:

This comic will take place during the Avengers vs. X-Men event. & I mean when the event is going on, the comic will be released. So what then? Or is it someone else being Iron Man? Man, Tony can't get a break. He's always stressed about his armor falling into the wrong hands, trying to stay sober, making sure he doesn't screw up, his legacy. The media in the comics needs to cool it. It aint easy being Iron Man.

Seriously, their expectations for him are to high. I mean sure, he shouldn't be drunk like he was in Iron Man 2 and when he wore the armor, but he slipped during a really difficult time during the Marvel Universe. They were up against gods that were hard to beat and Asgard wasn't helping as much as they could of. He slips once and everyone gets on his back about it. It be like the public getting on Cap's back for not being at two places at once or something. I know they're fictional characters but I'm just saying, in the comic book world, they see superheroes as gods or something (with Thor with exception cause he is a god) and if they find one fault or little miss up or some sacrfice they had to make, they'll make it bad.

Any quitting is obviously going to occur after AvX.

I just hope they dont kill war machine as too who replaces him probably pepper

#13 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

That's like DC killing Batman or Superman or Green Lantern Or Green Arrow or Robin.....Wait they did didn't they

#14 Posted by BlackPookie (640 posts) - - Show Bio

They are goin to kill this last story... and then, he'll come way more better!!!!!

#15 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Really not care about this. He is one of the hero that mean nothing to me. He is only a guy in an armor.

Maybe his death (a real death not a marvel death for 5 issues) would improve the marvel universe.

#16 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio
@LevukaR: I hope so , deadpool,the human torch... they will come back
#17 Posted by Paracelsus (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

|We have seen heroes as different as Spider-Man, Captain America and the FF try to hang up their tights(no pun intended) only to realize that being a hero is NOT just what they do- it is WHO they are! Terry

#18 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Such a riveting series. I toast my glass to you, Matt Fraction. All about Fear Itself is forgotten.

#19 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

The cornerstone characters will always survive somehow, even if it's somebody different in the armour or whatever.

#20 Posted by The Stegman (23765 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh. Why do we constantly need too be updated that 616 Tony has a super-hard life? Ult. Tony is far more interesting, mostly due too the fact that he's not always whining about his drinking problems.  

Here's an idea: ask one of the numerous telepaths in Marvel too enter your mind and fix the problem. There. Done. Move on.

This, i'm getting tired of hearing Stark whine..and people say Peter Parker is bad
#21 Posted by Arevish (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatClaw89: Could you stop trolling at any marvel news? Grow Up

#22 Posted by Karkarov (16 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man this is honestly a pretty ridiculous question posed at the end of the article. If the government has the right to tell joe blow how he can use a gun (and it does it every day) I am pretty sure it is going to extend that right to super powered armor suits that can cause explosions capable of leveling buildings. Of course it is comic books.

#23 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Marvel wouldn't do this, Tony/Iron Man is easily becoming a franchise character, This would be detrimental to a company who's always tried to establish big heroes to go up against the DC Trinity.

#24 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see this being a pretty good storyline, but he won't give it up anytime soon with the new Avengers movie coming out.

#25 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey look another character Fear Itself killed (along with the new Ghost Rider and Thor)

Here is what's going to happen he will step down and some one will take his place but before the new person has any time to establish themselves they will cancel the book because they suck at advertising. Or they will replace him with some random character that won't make any sense and completely ruin what ever book they are in.

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Fraction... stop killing off characters to sell comics...

#27 Posted by Cafeterialoca (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

They're not going to kill Iron Man. Even if they did, he'll be back in less than 6 months. Just like Johnny Storm.

Now if it was a female character that they were going to kill, you should be worried. Those don't come back within a year or two, or five. Looking at you Wasp.

#28 Posted by RPatrick (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm down with Stark not being Iron Man for a while. I could see why he'd want to take a break and re-align himself for a while. I mean, he'll be back, but maybe Marvel would benefit from someone else wearing the armor for a while...either someone established, or a wholly new character, ala Kyle Rayner. Could be fun.

#29 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

It won't last. It never does. I quote Dr. Manhattan when answering Adrian Veidt's question about whether things end: "Nothing ends. Nothing ever does end." Tony Stark will not stay away from the suit for long no matter how bad he becomes at drinking. Perhaps Rhodey will wear the Iron Man suit for a while again till Stark gets his $#it in gear once more. At any rate, this is nor "Iron Man No More"...its merely "Iron Man No more...for a while."

#30 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatClaw89 said:

That's like DC killing Batman or Superman or Green Lantern Or Green Arrow or Robin.....Wait they did didn't they

OR CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, WOLVERINE, SPIDER-MAN, PROFESSOR X, OR THE HULK.... Wait they did didn't they?

#31 Posted by DEGRAAF (7875 posts) - - Show Bio

How can they take the armor from him if it is his property and is actually a part of him now.

I like him but i would be ok with him giving up being Iron Man and ascending to a new hero name.

#32 Posted by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, the one character they haven't killed off.... Better make a death story ark and then bring him back less than a month later

#33 Posted by Billy Batson (57907 posts) - - Show Bio

CALLED IN MY COMMUNITY STAR INTERVIEW. WHERE'S MY CREDIT?!
BB

#34 Posted by Emperormeister734 (808 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing about Tony Stark is that he will bounce back as he always done in the past, with either new ideas or a brand new armor

#35 Posted by HolySerpent (12514 posts) - - Show Bio

The Serpent was here

#36 Posted by Scottman22 (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure he'll become Iron Man again in a few months after anyways, so it doesn't really matter

#37 Posted by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

First Thor and now Iron Man. When will Fraction learn that death isn't the most important thing at the end of a story arc?

#38 Posted by greeneagle (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so going to be depressed, damn it, can't Tony catch a freaking break.

#39 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11309 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting news.

What's a good jumping in point for Ironman? And is Ironman2.0 worth reading also?

#40 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Deranged Midget said:

First Thor and now Iron Man. When will Fraction learn that death isn't the most important thing at the end of a story arc?

I dislike Fraction, he sacrifices a good story for an unemotional and irrelevant death.

#41 Posted by bestcomic142 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, i don't like it at all. he's a genius with a responsibility on his hands

#42 Posted by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I dislike Fraction, he sacrifices a good story for an unemotional and irrelevant death.

Too many comics today do this. Death should be meaningful and long lasting for even prominent characters. If there has to be death, make it a character who, whilst an integral part to the story won't be missed in the long term. Jameson's wife's death was good because there is a sense of permanency to it and it is the perfect example to back up my point. Besides, Fraction's bringing back Thor so if he gets rid of Stark as Iron Man, he'll be back soon enough.

#43 Posted by RPatrick (30 posts) - - Show Bio

At what point did they even come close to saying that they were going to kill him?

#44 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Too many comics today do this. Death should be meaningful and long lasting for even prominent characters. If there has to be death, make it a character who, whilst an integral part to the story won't be missed in the long term. Jameson's wife's death was good because there is a sense of permanency to it and it is the perfect example to back up my point. Besides, Fraction's bringing back Thor so if he gets rid of Stark as Iron Man, he'll be back soon enough.

Sure, but whats the point of death if EVERYONE knows that the character will be back...

#45 Posted by enigma_2099 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

He has his enemies teaming up against him and the government (and public) believing he isn't worthy enough to wear his own armor.

The same government and public who seem hell bent on putting Norman Osborn in charge... AGAIN.

#46 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

if only lol

#47 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats going on now with Marvel stories first Captain loses his powers and now Tony Stark might stop being Iron Man. Hasent this been done before. Wish writers could come up with something original and not rehash the same thing over and over.

#48 Posted by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Sure, but whats the point of death if EVERYONE knows that the character will be back...

The only response I can give to that is sales. If EVERYONE thinks that there is a remote chance that this legendary character is going to be replaced or killed then they will flock to buy that book with no foreknowledge of the possibility of buying a poor quality story. It worked for Superman and ever since both DC and Marvel have shamelessly exploited a fan's worst nightmare that their favourite character could be killed off forever as well as exposing this to a mainstream audience who might be aware of the character. Basically, Marvel are mainly concerned with sales which is why currently they killed Thor and Johnny only to bring them back as well as putting out an event each year. Don't get me wrong there are some real gems in Marvel comics at the moment - Amazing Spider-Man which I'm currently reading is spectacular (pardon the pun), Venom and X-Force, both written by Remander are also supposed to be good and the new Hulk series is brilliant. But whilst DC seem to be learning from putting out an event each year, Marvel keep piling them on which is not a good tactic IMO.

#49 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Deranged Midget said:

The only response I can give to that is sales. If EVERYONE thinks that there is a remote chance that this legendary character is going to be replaced or killed then they will flock to buy that book with no foreknowledge of the possibility of buying a poor quality story. It worked for Superman and ever since both DC and Marvel have shamelessly exploited a fan's worst nightmare that their favourite character could be killed off forever as well as exposing this to a mainstream audience who might be aware of the character. Basically, Marvel are mainly concerned with sales which is why currently they killed Thor and Johnny only to bring them back as well as putting out an event each year. Don't get me wrong there are some real gems in Marvel comics at the moment - Amazing Spider-Man which I'm currently reading is spectacular (pardon the pun), Venom and X-Force, both written by Remander are also supposed to be good and the new Hulk series is brilliant. But whilst DC seem to be learning from putting out an event each year, Marvel keep piling them on which is not a good tactic IMO.

It worked better 20-30 years ago because back then, deaths were a rarity and the characters actually stayed dead, i.e Barry and Gwen Stacy are the best examples.

Some deaths are impactful, most as you already mentioned, are simply to boost sales.

#50 Posted by Lvenger (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

It worked better 20-30 years ago because back then, deaths were a rarity and the characters actually stayed dead, i.e Barry and Gwen Stacy are the best examples.

Some deaths are impactful, most as you already mentioned, are simply to boost sales.

Exactly. When death was treated as a more realistic thing, it made good sales as well as telling a compelling story. Nowadays death in comics is mainly done for the former and is usually corrected several months or a couple of years afterwards. I'm beginning to wonder whether the revolving door of death will make a return in DC or whether Jean will be back from the dead yet again in Avengers vs X-Men? I hope not as this would be a poor move by DC and Marvel have teased Jean's return so many times now that it really irks me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.