Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11204 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Off My Mind: Iron Man's Acting Immature Lately

• 72 results
    CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CosmicSpiral

What happened to Noh-Varr? He's so...docile and "alien-confused" in this comic.  

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

The real Iron Man for me is the one in Fraction's Invincible Iron Man. The Avengers one seems to be a RDJ copy on paper or something. It's odd to see. As said in the article: arrogant, sure that suits him. But the Spider-Man-esque humor attempts? not so much.
    I'd rather see the character of the real Iron Man series in the Avengers. It's odd when two of my monthly books have the same character twice, but defined that character so differently ..

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By ForbushBug
    @CosmicSpiral said:
    " What happened to Noh-Varr? He's so...docile and "alien-confused" in this comic.   "
    Bendis happened.
    grayrick949

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By grayrick949

i liked the pony line, i did not see it as the smart ass Tony Stark not a douche. but it is a fine line 

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By hero vs. villian
    @ForbushBug:
    Yes he did, the only Tony Stark I believe is the one that is written monthly by Matt Fraction, and Matt Fraction only.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @ForbushBug said:
    " @CosmicSpiral said:
    " What happened to Noh-Varr? He's so...docile and "alien-confused" in this comic.   "
    Bendis happened. "
    Same thing happened to Tony.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Bendis sucks, it's a known fact. Let's move on. Characters always act differently when their movies come out, once Iron Man hype dies down, he'll go back to being the way he was.

wingster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By wingster

Bendis needs to read Fraction's Iron Man. But Bendis is too lazy to do it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

see this is why i dont like the comic version of him, in the movies he's always like a arrogant rich boy, but in the comics, its like the writers cant decide whether to make him serious or not, lets compare him to bruce wayne, bruce is ALWAYS serious yet he acts like a playboy to put on a show, but tony sometimes its his honest personality, sometimes its not
    MTHarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#60  Edited By MTHarman

Michael Bendis's new title 

THE INVINCIBLE IRON ASSHOLE 

Tony Stark is an overpaid douche that has a paycheck bigger than Bendis's and is on a quest to be the ultimate show-off. Armed with a new Iron Man suit and out to horribly trying to make a name of himself. Marvel fans would find themselves siding with communist villains after enduring the dialogue and stereotype douchebag routine that Iron Man shows to his fans.  

So Iron Man fans be prepared for the biggest disappointed series of our beloved Marvel hero with this new over-priced four dollar comic and an EPIC FAILURE rating as Bendis takes you into another blended craptacular random event that absolutely had no effort put into it.

The Invincible Iron Asshole #1 - 4.99 

I love being a badguy.
    KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#61  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

l notice that about Tony years ago they really should make - up their minds
    Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Mutant X

I like Tony acting like RDJ. Gives off that sort of cocky arrogance that I enjoy so much about Tony in the movies.

monsterstudio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By monsterstudio

Tony Stark is rich he obviously believes he's better and smarter then anyone else so this is why he acts so harshly to other characters ideas. secondly tony has never had to grow up much and become a better man because of his money and power. thirdly by the quote "I'll buy your pony" he is referring to the fact that it matters not about the price he just wants the product in his possesion no matter the $$$ it takes. 
    Avatar image for warrior_guyver_x
    Warrior Guyver X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Warrior Guyver X

Maybe the mindwipe did something to brain to make him act immature. Though I still think he is a douchebag for I won't hold it that he won't hurt others to get what he wants.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By Ferro Vida

It goes without saying, in my humble opinion, that Matt Fraction is a better writer then Bendis.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By SevanGrim

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By COBRAMORPH

I do think being around people makes you act differently. Also you act different when you are around different people. 

Also, if there are different writers, that can be the real reason.

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By greenenvy

He should just be his original character like he always been since day one which means his first appearance like any other character right? 

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By daak1212

Has anyone else notice that in Invincible Iron man that Tony is somewhat quiter and more reserved but iN avengers he's a douche?
    mickeyglocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mickeyglocks

I love Benis and what he's done for the Avengers, but this "Downey Jr" Stark is just not enjoyable and totally cannot capture the film representation of the character.  

I think actually that Romita Jr's art plays a huge role in making him look like a douche. Look at that face? You just wanna punch it. 

blackair9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By blackair9

lets be honest Iron Man is an Arrogant Douche Bag but his faults is what keeps him balanced in the Marvel Universe.  I look at the Move Iron Man as him at the beginning where Fractions Version is the "Salty Dog" still arrogant but more Dennis Miller douchiness ( okay I made that word up lol)

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#72  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @daak1212:  Yeah. Well in the Invincible Iron Man series, Iron Man may have wiped his mind. But he's being faced with all the wrongs he did before the mind wipe.
    As said: Tony is an arrogant rich boy who is known to prepare for every scenario. But in his arrogance he has quite a few failures since Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion and then Osborn's Dark Reign. I think Fraction has the right idea that even the most arrogant person, Tony Stark, should be a bit more humbled by this. 
    We know he 'd probably do the Civil War-thing all over again, that's just Tony. But in Fraction's series he's aware of the wrongs he did to so many people and so many of his fellow heroes. He's kind of giving the impression that Tony's actually ashamed of his actions. Which is a good thing to me.
    Whereas Bendis' series just shows a Tony that acts like those things never happened, he's in a new team of Avengers, that holds a lot of heroes who've been done wrong by Iron Man in all the previous events. Though none of those heroes seem to remember the things he did. To me this just gives the conclusion that Bendis doesn't want to go through the trouble of writing in some kind of regret in Tony and some kind of grudge in the other heroes. While I believe this would make for a pretty "good" sub-plot. I think a lot of readers want to see Iron Man & the other Avengers make peace after all that's happened between them. Now all we get in the Avengers is an immature arrogant douche.

So yeah. As I said before: Matt Fraction's Tony > Bendis' Tony

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.