Off My Mind: Iron Man's Acting Immature Lately

• 72 results
Posted by G-Man (30652 posts) - - Show Bio
During Civil War, the majority of readers referred to Tony Stark as a douchebag. He was, in some ways, responsible for Captain America's death. With the return of Steve Rogers, his part in fighting off Skrulls in Secret Invasion and the downfall of Norman Osborn in Siege, people have started liking Iron Man once again.  

In Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man, we're seeing the result of Tony Stark erasing and losing a couple years of his memories as a result of preventing Osborn from obtaining all his Starktech secrets. Now he's on a new mission to make the world a better place with a new energy source that will replace the need for oil and fossil fuels. 

Yet in the Avengers books, Stark seems to be acting like an immature douche once again. 
 == TEASER == 
Tony Stark should be an arrogant...jerk. It makes sense that he should act like this. My problem with this is that he hasn't really acted quite so immature before. Perhaps I haven't fully noticed it in the past but it's almost distracting. It just feels like it's standing out when compared to his actual solo book. Stark's speech is coming across and immature and not as intelligent as it actually should be. There was also his "pony" line to Noh-Varr in Avengers #2 that bothered me. 

Maybe it's just me, but instead of sounding arrogant or intelligent, Stark's just coming across as an idiot. "I'll buy you a pony"? Why does he think Noh-Varr would even care about a pony? I suppose Stark is attempting to be funny when he's really strong-arming a kid into doing what he wants him to do. 

What I've always liked about the Avengers book was seeing the different heroes working together as a team in a single book. It's great for continuity and makes sense that the heroes would band together to face the evil threats. The problem is when a character isn't written in a completely similar manner from book to book. I suppose you can say that being in a team environment might bring out the best or worst in a character.  

Has anyone else noticed a difference in Stark's behavior? How should Tony Stark behave? Do you prefer the way he's behaving in Invincible Iron Man or his attempts at humor in the Avengers books?
Staff
#1 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

He's probably acting like this thanks to outside influences, specifically a couple of movies involving Tony.
#2 Posted by CombatCraigFM (124 posts) - - Show Bio

It's very confusing to see the different Stark's in Iron Man v. Avengers

#3 Posted by Ahmed Sherif (262 posts) - - Show Bio

The dud needs a break after what he's been through.

#4 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he's coming off as immature as of late, they have Robert Downey snarkiness to live up to. It's hard to pull off Iron Man the way he comes off in the movies.

#5 Posted by AxlReznor (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think it's the influence of the movies at work. Unfortunately the sort of douchebag comments he gets away with in the movies only work because a) they are well-scripted, and b) Robert Downey Jr. has the ability to make even the most pig-headed comments sound charming in his delivery. 
Those examples on the page here unfortunately don't seem to benefit from either good scripting, OR Downey's flawless delivery.
#6 Posted by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Bendis's attempt at capturing the essence of Robert Downey Jr.'s Stark, and we all know Bendis can't write good dialogue to save his life even when he's not trying to ape an actor.

#7 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I totally read that in RDJ voice.  That's the problem.  The current Tony Stark is based off Movie Tony Stark.

#8 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be acting like this to mask his reccent failures.
#9 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminarch:
Concur. Thanks Bendis (asshole)
#10 Posted by Midnight Monk (225 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is that people need to pick one Tony Stark and stick to it. He's humble in Invincible Iron Man but then he acts like a teenager in the Avengers book. Its kinda like no one except Matt wants to show off the new Tony Stark

#11 Posted by Sarpio__ (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony has always been the kind of person to joke and act a little immature. Also, he'd only get "intelligent" when someone asks him a question worth answering. A question, though, when is the Avengers set, in comparison to the Iron Man series? 

#12 Posted by The Hottness (4226 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this tony!

#13 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him better in his solo book.

#14 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

That dialogue screams of Bendis' horrible writing. Of course this came out of Avengers, because Bendis just loves to destroy characters that others have worked to make better. I can't wait till he leaves Marvel then I can enjoy some of the other Avengers books as much as I am enjoying Secret Avengers.

#15 Posted by ironshadow (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always liked Iron Man, in Civil War, in Dark Reign, when he's acting immature or serious and humble, I just like the guy.

#16 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (240 posts) - - Show Bio

I think writers are making him that because of his movie image. Plus it's kinda what sells Tony.

#17 Posted by Jake Fury (18153 posts) - - Show Bio

How does he act in Iron Man Legacy?
#18 Posted by The Mango (1477 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone might as well be the same person in Bendis books. I like his stories more than most people seem to, but his dialog isn't very good.

#19 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if it's immaturity, or just Tony being a loose cannon 
it's hard to say  
but if he really can't remember most of the past 3 years and his company is on the outs, I suppose now would be the time to start appreciating the little things: like jokes
#20 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe one of the Tonys is a Skrull. "When in doubt, blame the Skrulls," that's my motto.

#21 Edited by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio

To me it just seems like Bendis doesn't fully understand who these characters are when reading Avengers, I still enjoy the book, I just feel like he can't grasp who some of those characters, like Bucky-Cap and Maria Hill for example, are and how they act and talk in other books.

1. He writes Bucky completely different from how Brubaker writes him in Captain America, like G-Man has mentioned multiple times before on how he sounds like a jock and doesn't seem to read any files when he's living in Steve's house that's full of Avengers/S.H.I.E.L.D. files in Avengers, but will read up on some random C-List Nazi guy in his own title, plus in Avengers #3 he's surprised that Nick Fury has so many hideouts and yet just a few issues back in the Two Americas storyline in Captain America, he's IN one of Fury's hideouts and acting like he's visiting a buddies house.

2. Maria Hill and Tony are totally different in Invincible Iron Man, in Avengers Maria just feels out of place, just randomly telling them basically "hey, there's the bad guy, he's bad...fight him!" and not helpful at all, where in Iron Man, she's running Avengers Tower as if she was still running S.H.I.E.L.D. like keeping an eye on the whole planet and getting made when Tony and Rhodey run off and do something stupid.

And getting to Tony, like G-Man just pointed out, yes he's written like a jerk, but it's an annoying jerk, like when he's saying he'll buy Noh a pony, or like in Avengers #3 where he tells Spider-Man that he could kiss him after Spidey saves him, kiss him? Really?? -__- Where in Invincible Iron Man, he's written to how he acts in the movies, where yeah he's a jerk, but he's so smart and sarcastic but it's because he IS so smart that you don't mind it.

#22 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

Like what everyone else it saying. It's because Matt Fraction understands the character better than Bendis does.

#23 Posted by Neonbloo25 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

That may be a little immature but still tony under the armor, like one version of Antman stole the suit, so would I steal the suit, if Im capable of blowing up a single tank with a missile smaller than a Sharpie, I would even SLEEP with the armor on

#24 Posted by Leave (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh hey there Robert Downey Jr.

#25 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I just see it as Tony acting a little more cavalier and immature in front of his "friends". 

People tend to act differently depending on who's watchiing...I know I'm a lot more outgoing and even immature in front of certain people. 

When he was running SHIELD, he had a lot more respondsibilty, making the SHRA work was all on him, so he frequently came off as "douchey". Now it's more like he's got nothing left to lose so he's going to joke around, be comfortable, and himself more.   

I follow you, Bendis definitely plays up Stark's immature, playful side here to it's fullest but I don't see it as a break from character really.
#26 Posted by RedRobin92 (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I just say that I was fully behind Tony during Civil War. He was doing what he believed a superhero should do, looking out for the people he swore to protect. It was Cap who was being irrational and he didn't realize it until the people he thought he was protecting stood up against him. 

#27 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

lol  maybe hes turning into Ultimate Ironman and drinking behind the scenes when he isnt working.
#28 Posted by CylonDorado (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, I actually thaught that pony line was pretty good.
#29 Posted by ChristopherWilliams (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he really is acting or being immature but he probably just trying to add alittle comedy that's all.
#30 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

i like them both. If i had to chose one i would choose the solo book version but i actually thought the pony line was really funny, he treats this genius (probably smarter then tony himself) as a child probably it works with every other person not in the illuminati.
#31 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see him being a jerk as much as I see him being written like Robert Downey Jr's portrayal of Stark in the movies.  The quick humor, the sarcasticness.  It's doing something right, it won and Eisner, and for good reason.  There wasn't a lot of action, but a lot good written Tony.  Makes the movies that much better now too.

#32 Posted by rum1929 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this Tony too because we are seeing him in a different light and for him to act or say more humorous things whether he is being sarcastic or not is refreshing after all the drama and darkness he went through during the past couple years.

#33 Posted by Divine_Monkey (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, this is what happens when you have a dozen different Avengers/Iron Man titles and different writers on most of them. Same with the X-men. 

#34 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the Avengers book is bad and Invincible iron Man is amazing. I think Bendis is trying to make him funny, but its not working out that way.

#35 Posted by Justize (328 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, he seems pretty normal to me. But w/e.

#36 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:  I blame this line on Bendis' crappy writing and having lack of knowledge of any characters. Not only did that line make him sound like an idiot, Tony Stark is completely broke. He couldn't afford to buy himself a pony, let alone someone else.
#37 Posted by logan48227 (298 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bobby X said:
"I just see it as Tony acting a little more cavalier and immature in front of his "friends".  People tend to act differently depending on who's watchiing...I know I'm a lot more outgoing and even immature in front of certain people.  When he was running SHIELD, he had a lot more respondsibilty, making the SHRA work was all on him, so he frequently came off as "douchey". Now it's more like he's got nothing left to lose so he's going to joke around, be comfortable, and himself more.   I follow you, Bendis definitely plays up Stark's immature, playful side here to it's fullest but I don't see it as a break from character really. "

I can agree with that. People have different faces that they show depending upon who's watching. The problem I have with the portrayal of Tony across the different books that he's in is his financial situation. In his book, he's broke. But in the Avengers & the new issue of Uncanny X-Men, he's portrayed as rich.  

So which one is it, Marvel?
#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis doesn't know how to write Tony.

#39 Posted by leokearon (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony acted a bit immature in Iron Man 2, so he must be the same in the comics
#40 Posted by JEdThing (173 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know, i thought the pony joke was funny :)

#41 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Parker does not joke out of costume and leads a serious life full of problems... yet when he's fighting Doc Ock the squid jokes come out...
Stark might be doing the same thing... out of his environment his actions seem more immature...

#42 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the way Bendis, who is writing the majority of the Avengers comics, is writing Tony the way Robert Downy Jr. plays him in the movies. 

#43 Posted by coolbeans (253 posts) - - Show Bio

dangit bendis (for the millionth or so time)

#44 Edited by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate how Bendis writes Iron Man. It's insulting to Fraction's awesome run on "Invincible Iron Man." Fraction still writes an arrogant Tony, but it is tempered with self-doubt and humility...it makes sense given what the character has gone through. Bendis doesn't care and does what he wants. It's one of the reasons I can't stand "Avengers."

#45 Posted by ceniza (94 posts) - - Show Bio

i've always thought stark should be written this way. i don't trust him when hes not immature. he effing is. he acts immature, why shouldn't he talk immature?

#46 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

Well in his stand alone titles, he acts the same way he always has, Bendis however has changed the way he approaches him now for some reason, in Mighty and new at their early runs, he did a great Tony, now.... No idea what's going on. 

#47 Posted by cbishop (7105 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe we're not seeing the same Stark?  It could be alcohol at work, or it could be Iron Maniac - he's still out there somewhere, isn't he?  Marvel's been loving the evil twin/ mistaken identity thing the last several years.

#48 Posted by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man has been very inconsistent lately. Isn't he supposed to be... you know... BROKE? When I read Iron Man, it showed that he had almost nothing. In Avengers, he has all his tech again.

Also, he appeared in Uncanny X-Men without the.... gah, I forget the term. I believe he called it a "man-made sun" or something like that. The thing in his chest.

#49 Posted by AdSapien (3 posts) - - Show Bio

It is almost as if Asshole Tony is really an extrapolation of Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in the movies.  Tony's been glib in the past but also straight-laced like in West Coast Avengers, but hasn't the swell in popularity from the films extenuated that behaviour?

#50 Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

second pannel is he smiling with hair in his face ot frowning while looking down? gesalt.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.