Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11203 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Matt Fraction talks about Iron Man, Iron Fist and everything else

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By jefprice

I had a chance to talk with Matt the other day and we talked a little about pretty much everything. Here some of my interview with him... 

So I had the chance to speak with another wonderful writer over at Marvel Comics recently, the writer of Uncanny X-Men, Invincible Iron Man (my favorite book), as well as Thor, Punisher, Iron Fist and many others, oh, and did I mention this guy also has his own awesome creator owned projects? That’s right, even though he’s in the big leagues wining Eisner awards at Marvel, Matt is still active in the world of Indy comics. You know, this is a great interview, and I’m just going to let it speak for itself, so without further delay, Mr Matt Fraction…

(Jef) Hey Matt, it’s great to be talking with you, thanks for talking with us.

(MF) No worries. Thanks for having me. And sorry for the delay. I had swine flu.

(Jef) Man that’s crazy, I’m glad you’re ok. No worries on the delay man, that’s understandable. So tell me, what’s it like going from writing smaller Indy books to writing huge titles like Uncanny X-Men, Iron Man and Iron Fist?

(MF) Well, you get a pay check, so now writing comics is my full-time job. That’s the craziest part– that it went from a hobby to What I Do. Creatively, though, it’s not a wholly dissimilar prospect. There’re the same basic concerns and problems and all that. Oh, people have HEARD of X-Men and Iron Man and stuff like that so there’s a degree of awareness you’re suddenly hit with… um… man, what do I know. It’s great, that’s how it is. It’s amazing. Especially as I’ve not had to stop writing my smaller indy books in the meantime.

(Jef) That makes sense, and it’s great that you’re still working in the indy world. Now speaking of Iron Fist, that’s on hiatus right now, are we going to see you returning to the title?

(MF) No.

(Jef) Well Ok then haha. There were a lot of people like myself who were never a big fan of the Iron Fist books, but that loved your run on it, why do you think this is? What did you do that made it stand apart from previous Danny Rand books?

(MF) I think because “kung fu billionaire”– which is one possible way to strip down Danny’s character– is kind of perfect comic book material. I can’t speak to what made it stand apart from previous books as I lack that perspective. We all just tried to dig into the core of the character, knock away or disregard politely that which obscured it, and celebrate the awesome stuff.

Also a dude got kicked through a train.

(Jef) Haha well you did a great job. That might have also played a part, but you’re right, that’s what I felt reading the title. Now, we’ve been hearing some rumors about a Iron Fist movie, is there any interest on your part to be involved with that in any way?

(MF) Well, I got to consult on IRON MAN 2. I have absolutely no information about an IRON FIST film, but if there ever WAS an IRON FIST film and it ever got into that stage of things, sure, who WOULDN’T want to go hang out at Marvel Studios for a week and talk about what makes the comics you love awesome?

(Jef) That’s VERY good news for fans, and of course we’ve got to talk Iron Man. You’ve had an amazing run on this title, awards, critic praise, fan praise, I don’t think I’ve ever spoken with someone who hasn’t loved your run on this book. Is this a title you really expected to take of so well?

(MF) I don’t really… I didn’t really have any expectations. On any book, regardless of the scale, I just want to write the kind of book I would want to read and I always expect it to be like pulling teeth to get there. Anything else and you just go crazy, right? So… so, yeah. The success of the book both critically and commercially has been stunning to say the least.  

MORE
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HaloKing343

Great interview. Fun 2 read. Thanx.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.