Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11201 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Matt Fraction has gotta go

• 65 results
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zachattack1239

I feel like matt fraction has gotten really lazy with his writing lately. I also feel like alot of things are getting annoying. It's annoying when pepper has a suit and it's also annoying whenever he takes a good character like Rhodey and makes him bland and incompetent. Am I the only one that thinks that it's time to find a new iron man writer? Keep larocca but change the writer
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Loki9876

I still like his stories.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CATPANEXE

I haven't had an issue with his writing on this book as of yet.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Fraction is the best thing to happen to Iron Man in a long time. And Pepper having a suit makes plenty of sense, it's not lazy writing, it's called trying something new instead of doing the same old stories over and over again, something I'm glad he's doing. Fraction really knows how to write Tony Stark as this sarcastic jerk who's one of the smartest men on earth and really captures Tony's personalty very well.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Caligula

I like Fraction's Iron Man.

His X-Men is another story though

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Loki9876
    @War Killer said:
    Fraction is the best thing to happen to Iron Man in a long time. And Pepper having a suit makes plenty of sense, it's not lazy writing, it's called trying something new instead of doing the same old stories over and over again, something I'm glad he's doing. Fraction really knows how to write Tony Stark as this sarcastic jerk who's one of the smartest men on earth and really captures Tony's personalty very well.
    and he gives him his second layer (I think you know what I mean)
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @War Killer: yes he captures tony's personality well but that doesn't make up for his wrong doings. Fraction was fine for the first year but he really is starting to irritate me. He drags out every single story and tries to make each comic as uninteresting as possible. I really don't like the bleeding edge armor because it makes tony basically superhuman. I loved the idea of extremis but bleeding edge took things too far, its annoying having tony invulnerable. Rhodey is one of my favorite supporting characters of all time but fraction takes him and tries to make him look like don cheadle and then take away the personality he has had for 30 years. I also hate how he made tony not remember anything that was after 2006. He doesnt even remember civil war or the death of happy. I liked him for a year but ever since the end of stark dissasembled i have had a problem
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#8  Edited By The Impersonator

Change is always good.

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @The Impersonator: your right, change is good... thats why they should change matt fraction
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Zachattack1239: I can understand why you don't like him dragging out the storylines so long, but I like the fact that Fraction builds up the stories and it's not just "Boom! Boom! Pew! Iron Man fight! Pew, pew!" every issue, character development/interaction is a great thing in comics :P

He's not superhuman, he just doesn't have to worry about not having the armor anymore. Honestly the Bleeding Edge armor was the only logical step for the character, if you read the Five Nightmare storyline, if it weren't for the Extremis armor, Tony would have been killed by the suicide bombers. Same with the Resilient storyline, if he hadn't had the suit, he would have died when the car exploded. To go back to Extremis or to go back to having the put the suit on by hand or like in the movies would only be a step backwards for the character, Bleeding Edge was the only logical step for Iron Man.

Well I'm not a big War Machine fan, so I can't say much on that. But I get what you're saying.

I do agree that it was an easy way to get Tony out of the mess he caused during Civil War, but hopefully Fraction will play with the idea of Tony's memory not being complete more in the future. I remember in one scene where Tony needed help putting on his tie because he forgot how to tie it, it makes you think that maybe that wasn't ALL Tony erased from his mind? O_O Never been a fan of Happy either :P
    TheLastLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheLastLantern

Fraction made Tony start drinking again.  I hate him now.  I understand that he may have been getting somewhat one dimensional but come on, he just wants a reason to write his own verison of "Demon in A Bottle".  Which most likely won't be nearly as good as the original.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Caligula

@TheLastLantern said:

Fraction made Tony start drinking again. I hate him now. I understand that he may have been getting somewhat one dimensional but come on, he just wants a reason to write his own verison of "Demon in A Bottle". Which most likely won't be nearly as good as the original.

the "Demon in a Bottle" story is good, but it's really dated. A lot of today's readers would put it down before finishing it. So if he is just remaking "Demon in a Bottle" with modern standards then I think it's a good thing. But I don't think that's what he is doing.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

His Iron Man book is amazing. I don't even care that he's got Tony drinking again. The way he's handling that is very keen on the insight of an addictive personality ("Okay, just one more, and then I'm done", ETC). 

His FEAR ITSELF tie ins also pretty much make the entire event worthwhile (IMO).

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @War Killer: its good  discussing with a knowledgeable iron man fan... and your right about having development of characters. I hate having undeveloped characters in any kind of story. But back to the arguement... I genuinely loved the extremis armor. It was a logical step forward for iron man considering that all the other characters in the marvel universe was evolving. Oh, and i remember whenever that repulsor powered car blew up in the resilient storyline and i still think it would've been better to see tony without the armor infused into his skin. It would've made the story better if tony had gotten injured. It would've led to a more interesting story and tony would've had more motivation to put an end to justine, sasha, and detroit steel. Extremis is great and i hope that he eventually gets extremis back even though its not gonna happen. And how could you not be a fan of happy!!!!!???? R.I.P happy hogan
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @Caligula: I don't mind that tony took a drink becuase he is an alcoholic and its an interesting step for fraction to take... I just hope it doesnt control the storyline.. if it does then it will be another story arc kinda like dark reign whenever tony's life is in the crapper. In an interview matt promised the new story arcs would be happy and be about rebuilding. And demon in a bottle is not dated. Its a classic and its also a great story. It introduced characters like justin hammer and bethany cabe and it was the first iron man comic to actually give depth to tony stark
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Zachattack1239: I guess it just depends, some people still prefer the classic red and gold armor even now. I will admit that before I really didn't like the Extremis armor and honestly preferred they go with an armor more like the one they use in the movies where he has it put on mainly with the help of robotic assemble arms. But after a while, the new armor warmed up to me.

Well my only problem with that is Tony wouldn't have just gotten hurt, he could have been dead or at least to injured to wear the suit. But I get what your saying. I do like how in IM2 when Whiplash is trying to kill Tony while he's trying to put on the suitcase armor, it was a nice way to show how Tony would fight (and not get killed xD) when he doesn't have the armor.

Never really found the character interesting, he's also my least favorite character in the movies and wish they would not put his scenes in the movie when we could have seen Black Widow kicking more butt. xP
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @War Killer: haha, i agree. I thought the fights between whiplash and tony very weak. I also didn't like how at the end Ivan had a huge suit of armor, it was very sudden
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Zachattack1239: I liked most of the fights in the movie (I'm a sucker for big epic fights xD) and I found the suitcase armor too awesome. The one thing I didn't like was the final battle being too short, Ivan had months to build he armor and it seemed rushed and unplanned on his part. Though I disagree with people who complain about Iron Man ONLY fighting "evil Iron Men" in his movies, to his defense, most of his rouges gallery ARE evil Iron Men, lol.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Zachattack1239 said:

I feel like matt fraction has gotten really lazy with his writing lately. I also feel like alot of things are getting annoying. It's annoying when pepper has a suit and it's also annoying whenever he takes a good character like Rhodey and makes him bland and incompetent. Am I the only one that thinks that it's time to find a new iron man writer? Keep larocca but change the writer

I agree.I think peppers takes up way too much panel time.And I find most of his run mediocre at best and his story arcs are too long.Resilient and Wanted where way too long in my opinion.I enjoyed Director of Shield and the Extremis arc and the stories that followed alot better then the current run
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By King Quisling

Personally, I would enjoy seeing Pak or Van Lente pick up Iron Man. Although it seems like Fraction controls Iron Man in the same sense that Brubaker controls Captain America. We may see mini-series by other writers but Fraction probably has no plans to leave Iron Man anytime soon.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daredevil21134
    @King Quisling said:
    Personally, I would enjoy seeing Pak or Van Lente pick up Iron Man. Although it seems like Fraction controls Iron Man in the same sense that Brubaker controls Captain America. We may see mini-series by other writers but Fraction probably has no plans to leave Iron Man anytime soon.
    Yeah unfortunately 
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daredevil21134
    @TheLastLantern said:
    Fraction made Tony start drinking again.  I hate him now.  I understand that he may have been getting somewhat one dimensional but come on, he just wants a reason to write his own verison of "Demon in A Bottle".  Which most likely won't be nearly as good as the original.
    agreed
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By King Quisling
    @daredevil21134: Agreed but one could always hope. Maybe one day they'll give Iron Man the Daredevil treatment and give the character to a writer who's willing to glazed over the "questionable" work of those who had the character before him/her.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daredevil21134
    @King Quisling said:
    @daredevil21134: Agreed but one could always hope. Maybe one day they'll give Iron Man the Daredevil treatment and give the character to a writer who's willing to glazed over the "questionable" work of those who had the character before him/her.
    Yeah that's why I love Daredevil lol
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By King Quisling
    @daredevil21134: Waid's first issue definitely put a huge smile on my face. In just one issue he's already made up for most of Diggles......imperfections.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daredevil21134
    @King Quisling said:
    @daredevil21134: Waid's first issue definitely put a huge smile on my face. In just one issue he's already made up for most of Diggles......imperfections.
    Yes he sure has,I can tell Waid really cares for Daredevil
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By King Quisling
    @daredevil21134: And for what the fans want from a character.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daredevil21134
    @King Quisling said:
    @daredevil21134: And for what the fans want from a character.
    I like the fact that he broke Daredevil's tragedy streak and tried something new,some other writers should learn from him but I won't say any names
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By MrUnknown

Well I like his stuff on Iron Man and that he focuses on the supporting cast as well. The Wanted arc is my favourite Iron Man story.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By daredevil21134
    @MrUnknown said:
    Well I like his stuff on Iron Man and that he focuses on the supporting cast as well. The Wanted arc is my favourite Iron Man story.

I'm surprised the title is still called Iron Man and not Rescue
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @MrUnknown
    The wanted story arc is your favorite? It might've been fraction's best but not even close to iron man's best. You need to read some of layton and michelin's run or dennis o' neils run. Knauf had a good run as well
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Zachattack1239 said:
    @MrUnknown: The wanted story arc is your favorite? It might've been fraction's best but not even close to iron man's best. You need to read some of layton and michelin's run or dennis o' neils run. Knauf had a good run as well
    agreed
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By King Quisling
    @daredevil21134: It's not to say that Daredevil comics shouldn't be sad. I just felt like he hit rock bottom long before Shadowland.
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By longbowhunter

Fraction's Iron Man run has been one of my favorite Marvel books in a long time. Personally I love Pepper as Rescue. I did hate issue #506 pretty well though.
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zachattack1239

I think im being a little harsh on him but i do hate some of the things he's doing with the story arcs
    greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By greeneagle
    @Zachattack1239:  Fraction is the best thing that happened to Iron Man. If you are complaining about the bleeding edge armor, then you don't get who Tony is.  Fraction gets the character way better than anyone and letting anyone else take over the character  would be a colossal mistake. And for those complaining about him drinking again, lets just wait and see what happens. Besides you could look at it this way; for all the physical evolution he has gone through, at heart he is still human.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Zachattack1239 said:
    I think im being a little harsh on him but i do hate some of the things he's doing with the story arcs
    I don't think you are being too harsh on him.But everybody has their opinions rhough
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @greeneagle: Are you kidding me? I don't get who tony is? I've read every iron man comic so far and i don't understand Tony Stark? Just because I don't like the bleeding edge as much as you do and i don't like the fact that pepper has a suit makes me not understand tony stark? I just don't like his dragged out story arcs and him changing characters personality's such as rhodey and ms arbogast. Just because i like other IM writers better doesn't mean anything. I enjoy some of his comics every once in a while but id rather read a good one every time instead of opening up the book and hoping that i made a good purchase. Tony stark is my favorite character of all time so i dont understand why you think i don't get him. Give me one good valid reason that disliking the bleeding edge makes me not understand a character. It's called opinion man
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Gambit1024

Iron Man needs to hit something. Just saying. I mean character development is great, but whenever I read a few issues I just get bored. 

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @Gambit1024: hahahahaha, i feel the same way
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By jrock85
    @Zachattack1239
    I read a few Iron Man issues during the "Dark Reign" arc and I thought they were okay. Now, his run on Uncanny X-Men was absolutely deplorable. In fact, I was so repulsed by it that I've vowed to never buy anything with his name on it.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Gambit1024 said:
    Iron Man needs to hit something. Just saying. I mean character development is great, but whenever I read a few issues I just get bored. 
    agreed bro
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @jrock85: Hahahaha, I didn't think dark reign was that bad. Its just more of his current work im referring too. Oh, and i heard his run on uncanny x-men was absolutely terrible. hahaha
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Zachattack1239 said:
    @jrock85: Hahahaha, I didn't think dark reign was that bad. Its just more of his current work im referring too. Oh, and i heard his run on uncanny x-men was absolutely terrible. hahaha
    I hear that too
    RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By RedRobin92

I think Matt Fraction is one of Marvel's strongest writers 

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @RedRobin92
    Uncanny xmen? His recent invincible iron man comics? I don't think so. Maybe he has some other good stuff but i think he currently isnt doing to well
    RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By RedRobin92
    @greeneagle said:
    @Zachattack1239:  Fraction is the best thing that happened to Iron Man. If you are complaining about the bleeding edge armor, then you don't get who Tony is.  Fraction gets the character way better than anyone and letting anyone else take over the character  would be a colossal mistake. And for those complaining about him drinking again, lets just wait and see what happens. Besides you could look at it this way; for all the physical evolution he has gone through, at heart he is still human.
    I with you on this one. I happen to find Invincible Iron Man as one of the only consistently good Marvel books. If you pay a good deal of attention, Fraction is setting up a ton of future plot lines that are going to have great upcoming arcs. I'm sticking by Fraction, he definitely gets the Tony Stark character. 
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zachattack1239

@RedRobin92:
    Your right, he is setting up alot of good plot lines that look like they could go in an interesting and good direction. But as of right now im not really enjoying alot of his comics... Sometimes I really enjoy one of his comics once in a while but the majority of the time im worried about if the comic im purchasing is actually gonna be worth my money. He captures tony starks character almost PERFECTLY but just because of that im not gonna say i think he's great. I think fraction took the series name the INVINCIBLE iron man a little to literally. The bleeding edge armor almost makes him invincible... the armor looks very cool but i think that it leads to more anti-climatic fights and situations. I think the extremis armor was a perfect armor considering that it wasn't completely infused in his skin and it was perfect because it evolved tony's armor without making him superhuman. I absolutely HATE fraction's version of rhodey. Rhodey was never incompetent and he never looked like don cheadle. Rhodey is such an interesting character and i feel like fraction throws him in there without fully understanding him... it seems like he took his version of rhodey straight from iron man 2 and thats never how rhodey was from the 70's, 80's, and the time rhodey was coolest... the 90's (read iron man 283-291) I also feel like pepper doesn't need a suit, thats just an opinion and maybe some people disagree but thats just how I feel. Im also not a fan of pepper and tony flirting and stuff. It really bothers me that pepper goes and makes out with tony in dark reign whenever her husband that she loved, had children with, and was married to for 30 years died 2 years ago. I feel like pepper should atleast feel a little sadness about it. I love fraction's portryal of tony but thats not gonna make me love the series, i liked him from 1-20 but now i feel that he doesn't have as much time to think about his iron man stories considering he is writing uncanny xmen and some other work he's doing.                                   
    greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By greeneagle
    @RedRobin92 said:
    @greeneagle said:
    I with you on this one. I happen to find Invincible Iron Man as one of the only consistently good Marvel books. If you pay a good deal of attention, Fraction is setting up a ton of future plot lines that are going to have great upcoming arcs. I'm sticking by Fraction, he definitely gets the Tony Stark character. 
    Your right on the Money about the plots.  I can't wait to see what he does with Zeke, Mandarin  and Spymaster. 
    Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zachattack1239
    @greeneagle
    Future plots have potential of being great. But right now they aren't that spectacular... But good point.. I am very interested to see what he does with mandarin

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.