Marvel Unveils Four 'Iron Man 3' Movie Stills

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Earlier today Marvel posted four images that you may recognize from the Iron Man 3 movie trailer. Although you may have caught glimpses of these images before, you may not have stopped to really look them over, and sometimes it helps to do just that. The new shots give us a closer look not only at the characters, but their costumes and give us somewhat of an idea of what kind of themes the film will be dealing with. By the looks of it, these images are definitely more somber. We get a very distraught looking Tony Stark, a close up of actress Rebecca Hall who plays Maya Hansen who is visibly a little bruised and battered, and broken Iron Man helmet and a close up of Lt. Col. James Rhodes' armor.

Many of you probably already know that the third Iron Man film will be a loose adaptation of Warren Ellis' Extremis story arc, where bio-tech scientist Maya Hansen develops Extremis, and Tony Stark is forced to inject himself with the virus in order to defeat his adversary. It will be interesting to see just how much of Ellis' story is applied to the upcoming film.

Interestingly, the images provided do seem pretty dark and grim, and not very much like previous Iron Man movies. Based on the trailer, many critics and fans wondered whether the movie would have a darker, more "serious" tone. And while earlier this week we reported that according to Marvel Studios exec. Kevin Feige, the film will not be a more "serious" movie, these pictures do look more serious than the dun-loving Tony we've seen in past films. What do you think? Are you looking forward to the release of the movie on May 3, 2013?

== TEASER ==

Source: Marvel

#1 Posted by zachkastner (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony does love dun ;D

#2 Posted by Daniel_Newton (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time I see the new War Machine I can't help but think it would look much better if the entire star in the chest was cut out to have light shining through, instead of just having a rectangle hole in the middle.

Seems like a really silly design choice to me.

#3 Posted by LeaderVladimir (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Broken hero, crazy villain. That's Iron Man 3 in a nutshell.

#4 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

While I don't think this film is going to be extremely somber or depressing, I do think it's going to be a pinch more serious than the last two films. At least I hope so.

#5 Posted by LordRequiem (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

I do hope that the War Machine is just Rhodey's new suit and nothing to do with Adrian Killian.

#6 Posted by Lt_Cmdr_Kicker (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone else get the feeling that Iron Patriot may be a lead-in to Marvel's Civil War storyline?? It seems in th Iron Man movies the government like to stick their noses in superhuman affairs when it can benefit them.. Just a thought..

#7 Posted by Diamondblade (55 posts) - - Show Bio

American son feeling :D seems like osbornes armor

#8 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9183 posts) - - Show Bio

YAY can't wait for this movie. The images look great

#9 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@zachkastner said:

Tony does love dun ;D

beat me to it :P

#10 Posted by kennybaese (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

I think giving Rhodes the Iron Patriot armor was a clever way to introduce that armor design in a way that made sense, and I like that they still gave it the shoulder gun as a nod to the War Machine suit from the last movie.

I think there are going to be more somber or serious moments in this movie, but I can definitely see that the movie as a whole doesn't necessarily have to be more serious.

#11 Posted by SoA (4938 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought the iron patriot look was the new villain , like the villain has a stark suit and beats up tony so he gets injected with extremis and takes him out , but i guess rhodey is officially the US War Machine

#12 Posted by Trodorne (2592 posts) - - Show Bio

@kennyshat said:

I think giving Rhodes the Iron Patriot armor was a clever way to introduce that armor design in a way that made sense, and I like that they still gave it the shoulder gun as a nod to the War Machine suit from the last movie.

I know right? but to me I can understand trying to make a killing machine suit of armor look star spangled awesome its amazing to me that we have not done that with our nukes and jet fighters yet. lol.

#13 Posted by Novemberx2 (464 posts) - - Show Bio

boy i hope this is an iron man film instead of a robert downey jr being himself film.

#14 Posted by VictorVonDoom_1 (142 posts) - - Show Bio

@Miss_Garrick said:

While I don't think this film is going to be extremely somber or depressing, I do think it's going to be a pinch more serious than the last two films. At least I hope so.

Same what I was thinking. Although the trailer says a lot about how it's gonna be. Dealing with the aftermath of New York and all..

#15 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think IM3 will move too much towards the dark and dreary. That's DC's gag

#16 Posted by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio

so rhodey is iron patriot. intresting

#17 Posted by Emperormeister734 (820 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to be epic

#18 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is the female in the pic?

#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92863 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want Pepper to suit up as Rescue in this so badly.

#20 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

I just want Pepper to suit up as Rescue in this so badly.

I have to disagree, Pepper as Rescue is IMO bad enough in the comics, this movie looks shaky enough without adding it here. Just not a fan.

#21 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Good shots even if I've seen them already. Fun stuff!

#22 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@They Killed Cap! said:
Rebecca Hall, reportedly playing Dr Maya Hansen, a creator of Extremis. 

If you're not familiar with her work, I'd recommend The Prestige, The Town, Frost/Nixon, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and Everything Must Go. She's very talented, to put it mildly.
#23 Posted by krexxxx4 (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like rhodey wearing a variation of the iron patriot armor, nor am I fond of the smaller machine gun on his shoulder...

#24 Posted by AlexMarks (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no doubt that this will be a great movie but I'm just not interested to see it. Maybe when it gets closer to coming out I'll get all giddy.

#25 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmaprice said:

@They Killed Cap! said:
Rebecca Hall, reportedly playing Dr Maya Hansen, a creator of Extremis.

If you're not familiar with her work, I'd recommend The Prestige, The Town, Frost/Nixon, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and Everything Must Go. She's very talented, to put it mildly.

All you need to know: She has a great rump. And a practically flawless American accent.

#26 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3922 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's the girl in the third still? I'm thinking potential love interest or someone involved in the Extremis project.

#27 Posted by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

can't wait

#28 Posted by AmazingWebHead (3484 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always hated the Iron Patriot

#29 Posted by cameron83 (7520 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do they always show the ripped/torn/damaged mask. We've seen it the first time

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.