Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Marvel Studios Talks About Master Plan

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

This isn't how he appears in the final fight. Oh no.
     This isn't how he appears in the final fight. Oh no.

Drew “Morriarty” McWeeny did a nice interview with Marvel Studio’s president, Kevin Feige, at Hit Fix recently. You might be surprised that IRON MAN 2 came up during their discussion. Actually, before I get to any of that, it’s worth pointing out that Feige clarifies that Marvel’s made no formal announcement about Joss Whedon directing the AVENGERS movie yet. I thought he was officially attached to the movie a couple weeks ago (along with a re-write assignment on CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER’s script) but I guess that’s still just a rumor. So all enthusiastic Browncoats and DOLLHOUSE-haters alike can relax. For now, at least.

Other tidbits from their talk…

* Marvel really worked hard to make IRON MAN 2 accessible to new audiences while still building on what had come before. I'll say that writing a “modular” story is probably the hardest thing to do - - that is, something that’s both stand-alone and part of a greater storyline. There’s also the added dimension of putting in enough Marvel Comics allusions without confusing regular audiences. I can definitely say that IM2 pulls that off and I think their head are definitely in the right place to make this series of movies successful. There’s nothing more frustrating to me, as a viewer, than a movie that can even wrap its own sub-plots.

* Along that note, Feige also says that it was a delicate balance to leave room for improv and levity on set, while still making sure that all the necessary “big story points” were covered.

* Fiege describes Nick Fury as being like Gandalf from LORD OF THE RINGS. He’ll be a mysterious mentor who shows up to guide these heroes into the right direction, then disappears just as quickly.

* He also said that navigating the landmine of fandom’s rumor mill was a bit tricky. During production, they avoid reading message board responses lest they second guess themselves too much. They also were careful not to reveal too much in the trailers and, to do that, they had to consciously hide things like Whiplash’s final appearance from their marketing department.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Retnex

sweet

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

LOL they had to hide Whiplash from the marketing people? Trailers say way too much now...

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By DH69

damn it marvel! NEVER TALK ABOUT THE MASTER PLAN!!!!

Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Mahtu

The final appearance of Whiplash in IM2 WAS pretty beast i have to say.  Awesome suit.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By MrMazz

Nikc Fury is like Gandalf.....plz someone shop Jacksons face onto Gandalf saying YOU SHALL NOT PASSSS 

The scrit was really well done i only didn't like 1 exchange between Tony and Rhody 

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By doordoor123

I hate Nick Fury in the movie. He seemed too comical and nice. The Nick Fury i know is a manipulative hard-ass that hides sheit from everyone.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Moomin123

I think that the Avengers should be directed by Zack Snyder. He did brilliantly with Watchmen and 300.

Nev-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nev-man

Watchmen and 300 are mediocre films in a critical sense, the guy just films as close to possible what the comics panels are - not what we need in Marvel films which draws from many sources.

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By lb70145
    @Moomin123 said:
    " I think that the Avengers should be directed by Zack Snyder. He did brilliantly with Watchmen and 300. "
    Yeah because we need a man obsessed with changing story completely and adding unnecessary slow motion effects. I think that this guy said it best. @Nev-man said:
    " Watchmen and 300 are mediocre films in a critical sense, the guy just films as close to possible what the comics panels are - not what we need in Marvel films which draws from many sources. "
    We need a director like Favreau or Whedon because they could channel the characters for the story. Not following a story by the panel until the point where the infamous aforementioned director believes that the story should change (*cough* rape scene in 300 *cough* THE ENTIRE ENDING OF WATCHMEN!!!).
    gui22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By gui22
    @Mahtu said:
    " The final appearance of Whiplash in IM2 WAS pretty beast i have to say.  Awesome suit. "

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By bingbangboom

I have always compared "The Avengers" to more of a Lord of the Rings movie because it is bringing together a group and at times a very large one for a big task. The thing is that the task needs to be awesome because it shouldn't be something that Iron Man or Thor could solve by themselves.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By warlock360
    @MrMazz said:
    " Nikc Fury is like Gandalf.....plz someone shop Jacksons face onto Gandalf saying YOU SHALL NOT PASSSS  The scrit was really well done i only didn't like 1 exchange between Tony and Rhody  "
    Dude i was already on it  LOL
    DeathinFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeathinFire
    @doordoor123 said:
    "I hate Nick Fury in the movie. He seemed too comical and nice. The Nick Fury i know is a manipulative hard-ass that hides sheit from everyone. "

I agree that he was a bit comical, I'm hoping to see more of the battle hardend Fury in the future.  Perhaps he is manipulating Stark and we just don't know it yet.  They really didn't reveal much about SHEILD in this movie.  I also think they might want to re-think Fury's wardrobe.
    DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DarkSyde79

Marvel doesn’t have to worry about DC getting their sh!t together, so I guess you can talk “master plans” with no worries. With that said, IM2 was good but I did see why some where saying it catered too much to The Avengers movie. In the end, I think of that as a good thing as long as they keep the villains good and don’t add anymore characters into the mix. 

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Sam Jackson just makes everything better

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By EdwardWindsor

the master plan doesnt envolve global domination?, i thought they where owned by disney now

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.