Is Tony Stark in the THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA Movies?

Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio
 He'll be back in his workshop for years.

Fans who were hoping to see Tony Stark show up in THOR and THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA are going to have to brace themselves... ‘cause it ain’t happening. At least according to IRON MAN director Jon Favreau.

MTV got these words from Mr. Favreau’s recent guest spot on the Kevin & Bean show…

"[RDJ's] not in 'Thor', he's not in Cap which are the two movies for next Summer… It'll be very interesting to see how... these movies are going to be taken into account for 'The Avengers’ in two years… [since] there is no shooting draft written yet. It's gonna be a big undertaking for Marvel to actually incorporate what happened in ' Iron Man,' 'Iron Man 2,' 'Thor,' 'Captain America', 'The Hulk.' All that has to inform one unified vision in 'The Avengers'... And certainly, Tony Stark is not going to be involved in any of the movies until that one."

So it’ll be at least two years before we see ol’ RDJ putting the armor on again, unless there’s the far, far chance that a third IRON MAN could come out before AVENGERS. And that’s really next to impossible since Favreau's going to be more than busy with COWBOYS & ALIENS while Downey will probably be locked up with the second SHERLOCK HOLMES movie. == TEASER ==

But maybe this is a good thing? Would the magic of seeing him in action get diminished if he kept showing up twice every summer? Might it run the risk of overexposure like some fans think Deadpool and Wolverine have? Or do you figure they'd be necessary to keep Shellhead fresh in the public consciousness?

Me, myself, I’d like to see as many of these guest spots as we can get. Maybe they get a little too “wink and nudge” at times, but it’s such a novelty to see a “shared universe” at the movies that I’ll always be interested in seeing them, even if they get forced. I got the biggest kick out of the T-1000 in showing up WAYNE’S WORLD 2, after all. If anything, I’d like to see them play these up even more.  Marked-up maps in the background just aren't enough.

But my opinion’s irrelevant. What matters is the Comic Vine community's. Are you disappointed about there being no RDJ in THOR and CAP, or relieved? Do you like all these cameos and Easter Eggs, or would you want to see less of them? And is there such a thing as too much RDJ Iron Man?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Edited by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind him not showing up, in fact I prefer it. Let Capt. and Thor have their individual time in the spotlight, Iron Man's had his. Leave the meet-up for the Avengers.

#2 Edited by Ravn (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Stark may not actually be appearing in "Thor" or "Captain America", but I would be surprised if there wasn't SOME reference to him, like with the news clip from "Incredible Hulk" showing at near the end of Iron Man 2 (like mentioning Stark Expo in Thor)!  

I think what's more important is that Sam Jackson makes an appearance in both films

#3 Posted by Riezner (417 posts) - - Show Bio

F.

#4 Posted by webhead (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a good thing. I wouldn;t want to see Iron Man get the same kind of reputation as Wolverine has now. His character was over spotted like crazy for all 4 X-Men Movies and to be honest it started to get really stale to me. 

If we give Iron Man some space for the future. Fans will mostly start to miss him and once he comes out he'll be welcomed back

#5 Posted by HaHaManHV (234 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't expecting him to be in them so this is like nothing to me. If he WAS in Cap though, I'd have been very upset

#6 Posted by Emerald Dragonfly (212 posts) - - Show Bio

No RDJ, no Tony... Well, it doesn't mean that there will be no Iron Man!

#7 Edited by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

The appearance of another actor at the end of the Captain America movie could and should be Hank Pym as he grabs him out of the ocean. That would be badass 

As for Thor, if we don't have Ironman how about Fury or Hawkeye (wasn't that rumored?) or Black Widow
#8 Posted by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio

It's only a smokescreen... RDJ will make a brief cameon in one of them.
#9 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@HaHaManHV said:
" Wasn't expecting him to be in them so this is like nothing to me. If he WAS in Cap though, I'd have been very upset "
Howard Stark is supposed to be in Captain America. 

@Jordanstine said:
" It's only a smokescreen... RDJ will make a brief cameon in one of them. "
Probably in Thor. Somewhere near the end most likely.
#10 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

He's already been seen in the Incredible Hulk film, the CAPTAIN AMERICA shield has made 2 cameos and THOR'S HAMMER has been seen in the latest film....I think that it's fair...

#11 Posted by Timm (255 posts) - - Show Bio

arent Thor and Captain America both prequels?

#12 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't a damn about Iron Man now, he had his time. It's all about Thor and Cap now.
Their All the rage

#13 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

he's done his part, his presence isn't necessary.
it's fine either way

#14 Posted by sora_thekey (8178 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe not on Cap's movie (since is based on WWII) but on Thor's... might be a good place to have RDJ.. or maybe ScarJo!
Although on Cap's movie Howard Stark could appear!

#15 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree it will be a bit hard to piece together a good story line that fit's with The other Character movie considering the didn't exactly follow The Comics so i wanna see How the movies turn out.

#16 Edited by theicon (1797 posts) - - Show Bio

comic vine typo bro  wayne's world 1 not  2

#17 Posted by War Killer (20336 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm honestly not that sad, I love his Tony Stark, and IM and IM2 were amazing, but let have a little break, I'm looking forward to Sherlock Holmes :D And just because he won't be in Cap or Thor, doesn't mean we won't see Stark Tech in the movies, plus they could just be saying this to hide in little cameo's for Downey in the films.

#18 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Does not matter to me either way. Just hope The Avengers turns out well.

#19 Posted by KJPPPimp (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I say the armor hang up for a while. The Hulk appearance was cool but so far he's run the monopoly on screen time in the movieverse. I wouldn't mind seeing more notable SHIELD agents like Dum Dum Dugan and the Contessa show up with Coulson and Fury. And I'm pretty sure they'll have Tony make a new shield for Cap anyways so itcscool.

#20 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Easter Eggs, especially when they're a reference that's mostly aimed at comics fans

#21 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see some of the other characters get a little cameo. So far, Tony Stark has had all the attention.

#22 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't mind if they don't do easter eggs or guest stars because it bothers me a little believe it or not because its a little too fan boyish so just  keep the story original and separated   from other superheroes until the avengers. 

#23 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd be wierd for Tony to be in  Thor and Capt. America anyway, Thor lives in Asgard so god knows how Tony would get there and Cap lives in the 40s, when Tony isn't even born yet.
#24 Posted by Gregomasta (333 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ravn: Woah, I didn't notice the Hulk news clip in Iron Man 2.  Where is it exactly?  What scene?
#25 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I think RDJ should at least definitely be in Captain America since it was Iron Man & the Avengers that recovered Cap from the arctic waters in the comics.
#26 Posted by DarkSyde79 (214 posts) - - Show Bio

Easter Egg style... cool!!! Co starring role... NOT!!! :oP Can't wait!!! :o)

#27 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a cameo would do dothing but good things for Avengers movie.  The press that would come along with it would be big.  Marvel is stupid for not doing it.
#28 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7967 posts) - - Show Bio

Him making a cameo at the end or something like in Incredible Hulk would be fine... If not, whatever, ain't gonna ruin the movie for me.

#29 Posted by jayshaw (48 posts) - - Show Bio

lame

#30 Posted by Ravn (180 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gregomasta: Its in the second to last scene in the movie before the credits, where Tony comes in and sits down at the table with Fury.... On one of the big, transparent displays, its showing the new footage from the Hulk's "Rampage" threw the college. I don't remember if its in the foreground as Tony comes in and sits down, or if its behind him and he's sitting there... but its there!
#31 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont see how anyone could expect him to be in Captain America when its during the war. They got Howard Stark in it though. They could put him in Thor but it would be smart to just leave him out and not force anything

#32 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ravn:
How can nick furry appear in BOTH films when that means he has to appear in Captian America: The first Avenger which is set in WW2? nick wouldent even be born then.
#33 Posted by Robyn 666 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a nice addition to the end of Hulk, but it would be overkill if they had Tony Stark cameo in all the movies... I dont mind the references between them all, thats kinda cool and gets me stoked for the day that Avengers will FINALLY get here. THAT movie will be so flippin EPIC I cant WAIT to see it!! DAMN I love Downey as Stark though,,,,they cast him so well!!!
#34 Posted by G Bird (1280 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it would be nice to see appearance of the different heroes but maybe we could get references to them at least?

#35 Posted by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio
@Robyn 666 said:
" He was a nice addition to the end of Hulk, but it would be overkill if they had Tony Stark cameo in all the movies... I dont mind the references between them all, thats kinda cool and gets me stoked for the day that Avengers will FINALLY get here. THAT movie will be so flippin EPIC I cant WAIT to see it!! DAMN I love Downey as Stark though,,,,they cast him so well!!! "
I must admit, he is a great actor. Makes all rich people feel important to work at Stark Industries.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.