Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11197 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Is Iron Man better or worse off because of Robert Downey Jr.?

• 68 results
    Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The guy was born to play Iron Man

Golden words.

If some idiot is gonna try to film an Iron Man movie without him he'l TOTALLY screw it.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Stan Lee says that there is no one on Earth better than RDJ to be Iron Man.

RDJ transcended merely acting as Iron man, he *is* Iron man.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Bystander

@guardian_of_gravity said:

Even Stan Lee says that there is no one on Earth better than RDJ to be Iron Man.

RDJ transcended merely acting as Iron man, he *is* Iron man.

Stan Lee is an a authority to be listened)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@cyberwarrior: I'm sure there is some actor out there that can do it justice but I don't know is if anyone could ever do it as well. That's actually the main problem with Iron Man as a film franchise, he's not like Batman or James Bond, those characters are bigger than any one actor, Iron Man just isn't there yet.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberwarrior: I'm sure there is some actor out there that can do it justice but I don't know is if anyone could ever do it as well. That's actually the main problem with Iron Man as a film franchise, he's not like Batman or James Bond, those characters are bigger than any one actor, Iron Man just isn't there yet.

Maybe, but the examples that you are yousing are doubtfull... For example, for me, only Pierce Brosnan is Bond, and all others are NOT. What about Batman, until Nolan came to the screen his movies were awfull.
    However, I get your point.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@cyberwarrior: See we're gonna have to disagree, Connery will always be Bond to me. Also despite not aging well the 1989 Batman movie was great for its time, also despite what Bat fans would have you believe Adam West's Batman was a spot on adaptation of Silver Age Batman. Seriously if you look up the comics of the time you will realize that 60s Batman was the most faithful comic adaptation ever.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Bystander

@cyberwarrior: See we're gonna have to disagree, Connery will always be Bond to me. Also despite not aging well the 1989 Batman movie was great for its time, also despite what Bat fans would have you believe Adam West's Batman was a spot on adaptation of Silver Age Batman. Seriously if you look up the comics of the time you will realize that 60s Batman was the most faithful comic adaptation ever.

Don't know much about Batman, but what about Bond, than here you've got me: I've totaly forgot about Connery. By saying that Brosnan is the best 007, I meant that he's the best modern Bond so... Totaly agree that Connery is the best Bond. Yup.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59 the_stegman  Moderator

I never liked Iron Man comics at all, didn't find them interesting or entertaining, but RDJ took the character and made me love him...in the movies at least.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Given that RDJ is signed on for 2 more movies, thus bringing his total appearances as Tony Stark/Iron Man up to a total of 6 when its all said and done - I truly believe he will be the hardest act to follow that we've seen thus far.

I think Cavill (even Routh was solid, even if the movie was garbage) was fantastic as Superman and even though Ledgers' Joker will never be forgotten, we only got to see him once. I'm sure someone will be able to replace him and do the character justice.

There's no way his portrayal of Iron Man over the past 5 years has done anything but to help Iron Man comics. Before Iron Man came out, I had several non-comic reading friends and family who barely knew who he is, now they think of him almost along the lines of Superman and Batman. From a movie perspective, I know a lot of people who think Iron Man is more popular than Spiderman (didn't help the latter didn't have a movie for the 5 year period Iron Man boomed in).

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By skypilotbinky

Worse off. I hate how every time I want to see Iron Man, I have to sit through 2 plus hours of dry, sarcastic, deadpan humor. I miss when acting was, you know, acting. Remember, happy, sad, angry etc? Most of you may take it for granted but playing emotions is the cornerstone of all acting and RDJ is NOT good at it. If I can't tell how Tony Stark is feeling half the time it makes it hard to understand the movie in general.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Bezza

..ironically Iron Man is better off in terms of world popularity and guaranteed existence for the next decade or so as a popular character, but the comics themselves don't seem to be doing very well! Its a real shame....

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@cyberwarrior: I remember reading a small article in a 1998(?) issue of Entertainment Weekly and Stan Lee brings up how David Hasselhoff is the perfect choice to play Nick Fury in the Nick Fury: Agent of Shield TV movie. Just thought I would bring that up :P

More seriously though I don't like comics Iron Man or Robert Downing Jr. so I guess I would have to say worse.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By M3th

Some Users love to read tHe title only and skip tHe OP.

June'sVeryOwn

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

But the thing also about Bond and Batman is that they can be reinvented. But I do agree with you about Iron man as you say isn't bigger than the actor or a film franchise.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better. Much better.

Iron Man comics are unbelievably boring to me.

this. ive only liked 3 iron man stories but i loved rdjs performances

Avatar image for deactivated-63fb498d62be5
    deactivated-63fb498d62be5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well RDJ certainly is one of the reasons Marvel has achieved so much so far, but he has nothing to do with the comic-book Iron Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.