Is Iron Man becoming the first Marvel Lantern?

#1 Edited by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else notice that Iron Man is becoming more and more like a Lantern from DC? His new armor, the Bleeding Edge, can effectively create anything he can think of. He's constantly advancing his technology. He can already create constructs without the suit, only manifesting what he needs, such as a gauntlet, or an eyeball/camera. He even has more flexibility in that regard because it's connected right to his mind and eyes. So. Is Stark gradually building up til he has the same capabilities as a Lantern with few of the weaknesses? Or am I just seeing a similarity where there isn't one? And if not a Lantern, how about a Blue Beetle?

#2 Edited by shrmntnk62 (252 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's the later not the former. I see where you're coming from but I don't think it's the case.

#3 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really.

They have similarities but i'm not quite sure you are on point with the creation of constructs.

He is similar to Blue Beetle in the aspect that they both use armor...but it doesn't go past that.

#4 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: So this doesn't look at all similar to Blue Beetle in regards to an on the fly constructed cannon?

#5 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@Kallarkz: So this doesn't look at all similar to Blue Beetle in regards to an on the fly constructed cannon?

I believe that falls under the category of "using armor".

However how the way they use that armor is totally different.

Blue Beetle stumbles with his abilities and is often times surprised by the things he does and is unaware of what else he can do while Tony Stark is fully aware of the capabilities of his armor and can add to it's design and it is fully under his control.

The fact that Iron Man can create a cannon from his armor does not mean he is Marvels Blue Beetle.

#6 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: I'm not saying he IS Marvel's Blue beetle or Marvel's Lantern, I'm saying, is he building to the same LEVEL as their respective weapons? Is he approaching the same concept as their abilities, with his constant upgrades and current armor. Blue Beetles power, is unless I'm very much mistaken, creating crazy weaponry from that armor, even if it's not completely under his control. That seems awfully familiar. Similarly, Green Lantern creates constructs from pure willpower. Tony seems like he's getting there, slowly but surely.

#7 Posted by Teerack (7457 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds like a stretch to me. I don't really think ironman is comparable to a green lantern at all.

#8 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@Kallarkz: I'm not saying he IS Marvel's Blue beetle or Marvel's Lantern, I'm saying, is he building to the same LEVEL as their respective weapons? Is he approaching the same concept as their abilities, with his constant upgrades and current armor. Blue Beetles power, is unless I'm very much mistaken, creating crazy weaponry from that armor, even if it's not completely under his control. That seems awfully familiar. Similarly, Green Lantern creates constructs from pure willpower. Tony seems like he's getting there, slowly but surely.

They all share in common the fact that they can create certain tools but I don't see Iron Man approaching a Green Lantern level as far as using his "constructs".

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

Nova, Dark Hawk and Quasar have a lot more in common with the Lanterns

#10 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: Not yet. The question is, is he approaching it, i.e., could, hypothesizing a similar rate of expansion and modification along his current line of tech, could he approach that type over time?

#11 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@Kallarkz: Not yet. The question is, is he approaching it, i.e., could, hypothesizing a similar rate of expansion and modification along his current line of tech, could he approach that type over time?

I don't think they will take his character in that direction.

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Nova, Dark Hawk and Quasar have a lot more in common with the Lanterns

This. Especially Nova.

#13 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12660 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@joshmightbe said:

Nova, Dark Hawk and Quasar have a lot more in common with the Lanterns

This. Especially Nova.

Agreed.

Online
#14 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a cross between Green Lantern and Blue Beetle - added to similarities that Stark shares with Batman

#15 Posted by Cosmic_Hobo (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say he's moving the being more like The Engineer

She has replaced her blood with liquid nano machines, they form out of her skin and cover her in armour, produce cannons on her arms etc, and can makes technological constructs. She seems to be the end point of where he's headed.

I am very okay with that

#16 Edited by Mutant God (3080 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah he should create his corps - Iron Man, War Machine, Rescue, Iron Patriot...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.