Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Is Iron Man becoming the first Marvel Lantern?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JonSmith

Anyone else notice that Iron Man is becoming more and more like a Lantern from DC? His new armor, the Bleeding Edge, can effectively create anything he can think of. He's constantly advancing his technology. He can already create constructs without the suit, only manifesting what he needs, such as a gauntlet, or an eyeball/camera. He even has more flexibility in that regard because it's connected right to his mind and eyes. So. Is Stark gradually building up til he has the same capabilities as a Lantern with few of the weaknesses? Or am I just seeing a similarity where there isn't one? And if not a Lantern, how about a Blue Beetle?

shrmntnk62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By shrmntnk62

I think it's the later not the former. I see where you're coming from but I don't think it's the case.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Kallarkz

Not really.

They have similarities but i'm not quite sure you are on point with the creation of constructs.

He is similar to Blue Beetle in the aspect that they both use armor...but it doesn't go past that.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonSmith

@Kallarkz: So this doesn't look at all similar to Blue Beetle in regards to an on the fly constructed cannon?

No Caption Provided
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kallarkz

@JonSmith said:

@Kallarkz: So this doesn't look at all similar to Blue Beetle in regards to an on the fly constructed cannon?

No Caption Provided

I believe that falls under the category of "using armor".

However how the way they use that armor is totally different.

Blue Beetle stumbles with his abilities and is often times surprised by the things he does and is unaware of what else he can do while Tony Stark is fully aware of the capabilities of his armor and can add to it's design and it is fully under his control.

The fact that Iron Man can create a cannon from his armor does not mean he is Marvels Blue Beetle.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

@Kallarkz: I'm not saying he IS Marvel's Blue beetle or Marvel's Lantern, I'm saying, is he building to the same LEVEL as their respective weapons? Is he approaching the same concept as their abilities, with his constant upgrades and current armor. Blue Beetles power, is unless I'm very much mistaken, creating crazy weaponry from that armor, even if it's not completely under his control. That seems awfully familiar. Similarly, Green Lantern creates constructs from pure willpower. Tony seems like he's getting there, slowly but surely.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#7  Edited By Teerack

Sounds like a stretch to me. I don't really think ironman is comparable to a green lantern at all.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kallarkz

@JonSmith said:

@Kallarkz: I'm not saying he IS Marvel's Blue beetle or Marvel's Lantern, I'm saying, is he building to the same LEVEL as their respective weapons? Is he approaching the same concept as their abilities, with his constant upgrades and current armor. Blue Beetles power, is unless I'm very much mistaken, creating crazy weaponry from that armor, even if it's not completely under his control. That seems awfully familiar. Similarly, Green Lantern creates constructs from pure willpower. Tony seems like he's getting there, slowly but surely.

They all share in common the fact that they can create certain tools but I don't see Iron Man approaching a Green Lantern level as far as using his "constructs".

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

Nova, Dark Hawk and Quasar have a lot more in common with the Lanterns

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonSmith

@Kallarkz: Not yet. The question is, is he approaching it, i.e., could, hypothesizing a similar rate of expansion and modification along his current line of tech, could he approach that type over time?

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kallarkz

@JonSmith said:

@Kallarkz: Not yet. The question is, is he approaching it, i.e., could, hypothesizing a similar rate of expansion and modification along his current line of tech, could he approach that type over time?

I don't think they will take his character in that direction.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

@joshmightbe said:

This. Especially Nova.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By kidchipotle

@Gambit1024 said:

@joshmightbe said:

This. Especially Nova.

Agreed.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By sinestro_GL

Maybe a cross between Green Lantern and Blue Beetle - added to similarities that Stark shares with Batman

Cosmic_Hobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cosmic_Hobo

I'd say he's moving the being more like The Engineer

She has replaced her blood with liquid nano machines, they form out of her skin and cover her in armour, produce cannons on her arms etc, and can makes technological constructs. She seems to be the end point of where he's headed.

I am very okay with that

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mutant God

yeah he should create his corps - Iron Man, War Machine, Rescue, Iron Patriot...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.