Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Is Iron Man a douchebag?

• 80 results
    robbiesol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By robbiesol
    @castleking said:
    "@Vance Astro said:
    " Iron Man isn't a douchebag.Everything he does is for the greater good he just doesn't always know the right thing to do. "
    so he is just an imbecile moron ?  

thats just great...
    "

I think that is a stretch on your part.  Astro just said that Stark "doesn't always know the right thing to do".   

Well no one always knows the right thing to do, so it isn't fair to claim that he was calling Stark a moron because of it. 

GrimmjowUchiha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By GrimmjowUchiha

iron man should die for evar and nevar come back stupid douche bag is a whiny little baby that protects his own ass with his money friends or power suit stupid bitch acting like the bauss (boss) of the Hero comunnity

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By John_Feaster
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @John_Feaster:   1. Reed and Pym (actually Skrulls) 2. dont remember 3. Skrulls and supervillians.  4. Reed and Pym (actually Skrulls)    Tony Stark was not the master of reality, much less the world nor anything else. He was a spokesperson. He was no more evidently to blame then the President is for the actions of everyone in the country nor its institutions. To top that off he was being influenced (again, Skrull Invasion 101) All he did was back what he believed was right, and the majority of the heroes backed him. In the end him and Steve stood, and Steve looked around and realized Tony was in fact right. The only intent was to minimize collateral damage to civilians, and Tony didnt take control of anything, much less want the position he found himself in, which again all in all was just a Skrull scheme. "

Okay... 

1 Stark provided the DNA in the form of a lock of Thors hair, and ordered the clone to be made. In the flashback scenes, even Skrull-Pym thought it was a betrayal. 

2 It happened. Stark regrets it, but it happened.

3 He chose the Taskmaster AND Norman Osborn. When norman and his goons were killing and mutilating small-market heroes like the Americi-Cop and Jack Flagg, Tony didn't stop them. Tony had a special group of SHIELD Agents trained specificly to hunt down unlicenced heroes to NOT arrest them...but... 

4 ...to lock them up in a secret prison he ORDERED Reed and the Skrull to build, where he could hold them WITHOUT charging them. The Tinkerer - a retired villain who had served his time in jail and was just trying to get his life back together, was arrested while taking his grandchildren out for icecream...and held in the prison without trial. Shang-Chi was hunted down and arrested DISPITE the fact that he wasn't even an American, and was on international soil. Heroes who were just trying to leave the country to avoid the Regestration were arrested and locked up in it.  

And Steve never felt it was right (read the books, man) he just felt that Stark was going to kill them all if they kept resisting. Look at the death toll, man. Steves forces were being KILLED. 

No offence, but if you add all these together, the answer isn't "Utopia". And while Stark isn't the "Master Of Reality", he never once stopped what he was doing...even when surrounded by dead former-friends. Finally, I offer the evidence that STARK knows it was all wrong, and (I'm quoting him) that "It wasn't worth it." 

That's the best evidence. Stark knows it's his fault, and blames himself. Carol Danvers - previously his biggest cheerleader - blames him. The whole thing was NOT a Skrull scheme, as it came from the mind of Stark and Reed...and they wern't Skrulls. All the Skrulls did was go along with it as Starks plan helped them distablize the world. When the Skrulls are going along with your plan, you know your plan stinks.

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By castleking
    @John_Feaster said:

" @

That's the best evidence. Stark knows it's his fault, and blames himself. Carol Danvers - previously his biggest cheerleader - blames him. The whole thing was NOT a Skrull scheme, as it came from the mind of Stark and Reed...and they wern't Skrulls. All the Skrulls did was go along with it as Starks plan helped them distablize the world. When the Skrulls are going along with your plan, you know your plan stinks.

"
     agreed... when an alien invasion force agrees and goes along with your plan you know you crossed the line to dictator and tyrant
    Warp-Drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Warp-Drive

no hes more of an asshole cause of the civil war incident
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By castleking
    the Skrulls:  hmm.. this could work along this @$$hole.... incorporate our plan with his..... what a Douchebag..
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By John_Feaster
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    "

Much like Cyclops, Tony Stark came into writers that intentionally made you try to dislike him. Neither character was originally depicted so much of a …well…douche. In fact, originally Scott Summers and Tony were quite likable men at one time in the comics. Seems so long ago now. I cannot say why they did what they did to Iron Man, the original concept was redeeming a weapons manufacturer, but I always felt that writers sacrificed Cyclops at the expense of making Wolverine look “cooler” in the eyes of the young and impressionably rebellious anti-hero teens.    

"

Excellent point! And one I've tried to make in the past. It's not that their characters are terrible, but their writers (good, bad or whatever) decided that the best way o create cheap characterization was to have them play the badguy for a bit. Ms. Marvel suffers from the same condition. Tony Stark would NEVER have done the things he's done. Durring the Civil War, Ms. Marvel press-ganged a teenage girl into service as a hero, even when she said she didn't want to. The option was "Serve as a goverment agent, or go to prison" and no matter how I try to spin it, I know Carol would NEVER HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE!!! Beat a friend a fellow heroine near to death IN FRONT OF THE WOMANS DAUGHTER for the crime of helping Captain America smuggle heroes out of the country? Whore herself as a media-created object, while her former friends are DYING at the hands of Starks goons? The Carol Danvers I grew up on never would have done ANY of this crap!

But once again, a writer can do whatevet he wants. This is why I fear the return of Kitty Pryde. For all I know, it's going to be a brain damaged serial killer that comes back...because that's what the writer wants.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Ya he sucks

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @castleking said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " Iron Man isn't a douchebag.Everything he does is for the greater good he just doesn't always know the right thing to do. "
    so he is just an imbecile moron ?  

thats just great...
    "
    That's a stupid question.I'll just pretend it was rhetorical or sarcastic if it wasn't.
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By Sparda

Tony's the douchiest bunch of douches that ever douched in the history of douche.

But he's alright.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Sparda said:
    "Tony's the douchiest bunch of douches that ever douched in the history of douche.  But he's alright. "

lol were you not gonna meet your douche quota use for the month?
    Avatar image for the_lethal_protector
    The Lethal Protector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Darkchild: Iron Man got his ASS KICKED in Civil War. Spiderman tore him up when Iron Man tried to shut down his suit, Captain America MURDERED him... Iron Man fought dirty with Cap, but once Cap put his feet down Iron Man got torn up. That piece of crap armor was getting smashed to pieces by Cap. Captain America won that war, but unfortunately he surrendered because he saw what the war was doing. It was killing, dividing, destroying people and relationships and trust.

@Halo: What he did was unjust. Trying to force people to join his side, trying to control and everything else. He meant well, but he went down a dirty path foolishly agreeing with the government whom only wanted to control people, they used the registration act as the perfect excuse to do what they wanted to do all along: control people with powers. Captain America saw that, and also saw it violated civil rights and freedom. That's like saying because a black person killed, all of them must register.

It's no different than racism. 
    Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Bio Guyver

Iron Man is a cool douchebag.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64  Edited By InnerVenom123

An obvious answer. YES.
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

heck no he beat up Captain America, in my book he is a god ;)

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By John_Feaster

@The Lethal Protector said:

" @Darkchild: Iron Man got his ASS KICKED in Civil War. Spiderman tore him up when Iron Man tried to shut down his suit, Captain America MURDERED him... Iron Man fought dirty with Cap, but once Cap put his feet down Iron Man got torn up. That piece of crap armor was getting smashed to pieces by Cap. Captain America won that war, but unfortunately he surrendered because he saw what the war was doing. It was killing, dividing, destroying people and relationships and trust.  @Halo: What he did was unjust. Trying to force people to join his side, trying to control and everything else. He meant well, but he went down a dirty path foolishly agreeing with the government whom only wanted to control people, they used the registration act as the perfect excuse to do what they wanted to do all along: control people with powers. Captain America saw that, and also saw it violated civil rights and freedom. That's like saying because a black person killed, all of them must register.  It's no different than racism.  "

Thanks for pointing that out, Lethal. I'm tired of people quacking "Tony tried his best." and "He had good intentions." yet always ignoring the terrible things he did in the name of his grand scheme. It's not that Tony is a villain, but he DID use the sort of tactics that many a villain has used in the past. Some people will never accept this.

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mattersuit

He's trying to get rid of weaponry in the world and made a WEAPON to do it. That is so hypocritical and makes him the ULTIMATE DOUCHEBAG!

Avatar image for the_lethal_protector
    The Lethal Protector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@John_Feaster: No problem. Oh and, he was also bragging how his armor recorded all of Cap's moves in the past. So the ONLY reason he beat Cap up the first time besides Cap being ganged up on was because of that dirty thing. But once Cap had that armor disabled, haha he was being broken to pieces. Iron Man is better than Captain America in powers but not skill, charisma, and heart.

Captain America > Iron Man.
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#69  Edited By HaloKing343
    @.Mistress Redhead. said:
    "heck no he beat up Captain America, in my book he is a god ;) "

WHAT? I can't believe that. Take it from me, I'm the biggest Iron Man fan there is but Cap is off the hook. Don't bash on stripes.
    moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By moviegeek17

two words man, civil war, helped to cause the skrull invasion and cause of all his actions dark reign has happened. yeah he's an ass!

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By warlock360

long time ago, iron man vs Namor thread made myself an image

Lupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Lupine
    @The Lethal Protector said:
    " @Darkchild: Iron Man got his ASS KICKED in Civil War. Spiderman tore him up when Iron Man tried to shut down his suit, Captain America MURDERED him... Iron Man fought dirty with Cap, but once Cap put his feet down Iron Man got torn up. That piece of crap armor was getting smashed to pieces by Cap. Captain America won that war, but unfortunately he surrendered because he saw what the war was doing. It was killing, dividing, destroying people and relationships and trust.  @Halo: What he did was unjust. Trying to force people to join his side, trying to control and everything else. He meant well, but he went down a dirty path foolishly agreeing with the government whom only wanted to control people, they used the registration act as the perfect excuse to do what they wanted to do all along: control people with powers. Captain America saw that, and also saw it violated civil rights and freedom. That's like saying because a black person killed, all of them must register.  It's no different than racism.  "
    It's very different than racism. Mutants don't equal minorities. I'm a minority myself, but I can't blow up a city block if I get pissed or just decided to kill my neighbor with my mind. I think it was said best in X3 of all things "How does liberty survive when one man can destroy a city." This is not about someone genes. The X-men play that angle and some of their villains fit it perfectly; but for the government this is about power. More and more people were depending on the heroes, that in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but what if tomorrow every hero decided to rule the world? Heck what if half of them decided that? What really could humanity hope to do? 

Not everyone thinks that way, but there are people that do. When Sanford happened it shattered public faith in Superheroes. The people themselves wanted something done and the government had to do something. That's not to say that they are victims, quite the opposite in some cases. They took advantage of it. But likewise this is America; or at least it is in the story. No one in government agrees on anything. Some people wanted a registration act, others just thought it was a tragedy, but some probably wanted anyone and everyone with abilities rounded up and put away. Come on people, this is the same universe that deals with the X-men. If they're willing to force the mutants into a camp you think they wouldn't do the same to the rest of the meta-human set? 

And what happens if someone resists? Or worst, super powered terrorist or something else. It was a very real possibility that it could have come down to a war of supers versus the normal man. No matter who won that, it could have and probably would have been a blood bath.  Also what happens if normal humanity wins. What happens the next time the Kree or Skrulls show up? If supers win, what have they won really? In the end they've become tyrants themselves, murderers, they're oppressing the very people they once swore to protect.

Cap had a point about people and their personal liberties. In the end I agree with him; but to say that Tony  was just following the government tag line or being manipulated by Skrulls is just a bit disingenuous. The Skrulls played things to their advantage, but if Tony hadn't done something things could have been a lot worst. Likewise for the Thor and secret prison statements earlier, Tony didn't think either of those would go the way they did. 

Thor he didn't think it would be as aggressive as it was. He thought he'd just have a powerhouse for his team and intimidate everyone else to simply joining because he had Thor with him and everybody knows that Thor is BA. The prison he though people would stay a day, maybe two, realize that they could be locked up and then agree. The Thunderbolts even, he was like oh, villains...yeah we handle those guys all the damned time if anything they'll probably just round up some of the lower level guys and be enough of a distraction to higher level guys that they can be apprehended by other heroes. 

If anything Tony was just too much the optimist, he was determined that his side was so inalienably  right that no one would go the other way for long. He assumed Steve would eventually see things the way he did, because really is Captain "freaking" America going to fight the US government over something that could avoid the deaths of millions be it from a possible war, super hero collateral damage, and might actually strengthen the super hero community as a whole by giving them legitimacy and government funding. Tony saw the long game and because of it lost sight of a lot of  what was right in front of him. He made mistakes, lots and lots of them, but that doesn't make him brand new or badly written because through out it all he was doing what he always does, keeping his ground to the ear and planning for the future. 

People got hurt and Tony feels horrible about it; but things could have been a heck of a lot worst. If he hadn't done something there might not be a Marvel U at the moment. At least that's how I feel about it.  

So no Iron-man isn't a douchebag, he's human.
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @Lupine:
    You know, you can be a Douchebag and human at the same time !
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#74  Edited By HaloKing343
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "An obvious answer. YES. "

Uh.... no
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By John_Feaster
    @HaloKing343 said:
    "@InnerVenom123 said:
    "An obvious answer. YES. "
    Uh.... no "

Sorry, but I have to still say 'Yes' on this subject. I think enough examples of his arrogance and short-sightedness have been provided. But the best argumants have come from Tony himself. Read the "It wasn't worth it!" rant, when Tony is crying over the corpse of Captain America. Check out the look on his face at Bill Fosters funeral, or when Thor turns away from him after the battle with the Skrulls. Heck, look at Tiny on the last page of Invincible Iron Man #24, when he's looking at all the spead out newspapers and such, reading articles like "Civil War - Captain America Assassinated", "U.S.Govt. Dissolves S.H.I.E.L.D" and "Stark : Fugitive". He's saying "God. Oh my God." and it's clear that if you asked the man this question...he'd say "Yes. I'm a douche."  

However, he's trying to be better. Maybe he's learned that actions wont justify the means next time.
    Antiochus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Antiochus
    @John_Feaster:  

Its funny how the civil war is still such a hollow ground even to this day. 

But here is the thing.  Blaming someone for the Skrull invasion or the Dark Reign while using hindsight is a weak point at best.   As for the argumentation of the Civil War itself, I would simply remind people how it ended.  Tony did not win by shoving money in his opponents faces or by overpowering them with higher numbers or better techs, he won when Captain America admitted that he had lost the argument.    

As for this 

@Darkchild: Iron Man got his ASS KICKED in Civil War. Spiderman tore him up when Iron Man tried to shut down his suit, Captain America MURDERED him... Iron Man fought dirty with Cap, but once Cap put his feet down Iron Man got torn up. That piece of crap armor was getting smashed to pieces by Cap. Captain America won that war, but unfortunately he surrendered because he saw what the war was doing. It was killing, dividing, destroying people and relationships and trust.     

Are you kidding?  Saying that Iron Man fough dirty in the context of the Civil War is basically the same as begging for a reality headshot.  There was two major fights that opposed Iron Man and Captain America in the main CW storyline.  In the first one, Cap used a device to incapacitate Iron Man as he was trying to get a peaceful solution, and the second fight was basically won by Vision, who broke Iron Man's armor so that Cap could simply beat an already defeated foe.   Yeah, Captain America, the greatest marvel hero, was basically bashing in the head of a guy who was already out of action, meaning that the goal was not to put him out of the fight, but to kill him.  The only fair fight between the two was in the tie-in where they met in the Avenger's Mansion.  Cap won it, because Iron Man took off his armor and fought him with his bare hands, a sign of fairness from shell head.   Its also important to mention that the heroes always win in their own comics.  If you had read the Iron Man comics during the war, you would have seen Iron Man beating down (and letting go as a another sign of good faith) both Spider-Man and Luke Cage.

Cap admitted that he had lost the argument, it was the end of the war, get over it.
    Lupine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Lupine
    @The Devil Tiger said:
    " @Lupine: You know, you can be a Douchebag and human at the same time ! "
    True.  But humanity as a whole does tend to lean that way on a regular basis. lol
    SDSMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SDSMP

I dont think hes a douche even though he did some crappy things. He was doing what he thought was right, I mean if people did show up with powers and you werent one of them you would want them to register.  Although if you did get powers you would  see it as an invasion of privacy. Iron man doesnt really have powers so guess which way he saw it.

leechcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By leechcat

Don't think he's that bad... He's got a lot of problems, sure! But he does what he thinks is right. 
    And his reaction in Civil War: The Confession sorta makes me think that it wasn't all in his control anyway. Tony's never been an all good guy, but he's tried, right? That's what counts. At least to me it does. And if Captain America believes in you... Well. Even I say that's something!

vickyIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By vickyIM

@Antiochus: I love your reasoning. I've said this before on this site and I'm going to say it again

What Tony does is sacrifice his life (personal life and his well-being) to do what he believes to be right (which, even though most people don't see it that way, is almost always the case). He's very often resented and hated for his choices because, unlike Tony, most people (including his closest friends: Cap. for example) either can't or simply choose not to see the big picture (which is why he's the best futurist in the Marvel universe). He knows very well the effect his actions will cause on the way people see him, but as he knows it's for their own good (generally in the long-run) he makes the hard choice and plays the role of the "bad guy" even though it hurts him (especially when his closest friends don't seem to understand his very logical - in my opinion anyway - reasoning). Most impressive to me is that he does this time and again ( not all of them being on the same scale of cause and effect - Civil War being the highest - but still) and leaving pretty much everyone out of it - decision making-wise - so that he doesn't cause anymore harm to them than what is absolutely unavoidable. Though I'll admit he could have handled things a bit differently in some situations, and in doing so acting less douchy. But that's just it, I'm sure most won't agree but I believe he was just acting out the part of a jerk because that was the only way of getting things to work (seeing as he already tried it Cap's way, which didn't work)

Point is he's my absolute favorite superhero (followed by Batman) I think he's a great man, just very misunderstood.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.