Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

Iron Man's forcefield

TelekineticSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TelekineticSun

A question came up between me and a friend, the question revolved around a what if scenerio involving a fight between Iron man and Storm. While pondering it he stated that because iron man's suit is metal that it would make him an obvious conductor for lighting attacks from storm, and that made me  wonder about his forcefield and if it would protect him from such an attack.

Now, I remember hearing about Iron Man having an electromagnetic forfield around his suit, and i looked iron man up here on comicvine, and other websites and they all stated that he does have this type of forcefield but none of them elaborated on the extent of his forcefield.
    I've seen electromagnetic pulses used to create forcefields before in other mediums, for example in the animated movie Batman Gotham Nights, Lucius Fox give Bruce Wayne an electromagnetic repulser of some sort that is explained to only reflect metal objects coming at him at high speeds i.e. bullets, and in Metal Gear Solid 2 there is a character named Fortune who also has a simular gizmo that creates a electromagnetic field allowing bullets to vier away from her while in battle. Also in the same game while Revolver Ocelot was wearing the device it allowed a shot from a railgun(wich is a gun that shoots some form of electicity from its barrel) to also vier away from him. I know these are not iron mans pulse so they don't have any continuity with iron man.

But my question is what is the extent of iron mans forcefield? Does it only block metal objects thrusted at him at high speeds? or does it also protect him from metal objects used to attack him at slower speeds like knives and swords? Can it also protect from non-metal objects? Can it protect him from different forms of energy blasts? and is it able to block electricity attacks?

Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what i've seen from force fields they deflect everything less powerful than the field itself.

And I think that lightning would just make Iron Man stronger since his suit can tranform it into energy for his suit.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Tony Stark is a pretty smart guy, I think he would build the suit insulated against lighting strikes. After all airplanes get struck by lighting everyday and it doesn't effect them. So he probably wouldn't even need the forcefield.

TelekineticSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TelekineticSun

probably, he does fly just as high as planes and even higher at times, so he probably did take all of the obvious precations when building the armor, taking airplanes and maybe even spaceshuttles in account.
     but im still wondering how his forcefield has worked into the comics and what it is able to deflect.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5  Edited By The_Martian

Iron Man's suit is not completely vunerable to lightning, here he is taking direct blows from Thor:

He was damage from the blows, but far from taken out. And that was after several hits from Thor.

Here a wrist mounted Force Field with enough strength to block missles

Contains Electro with his force field

Using "Magnetic Field" to levitate all metal objects

On a side note, he has immunity to Magneto's powers:

TelekineticSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TelekineticSun

thanks for the examples.
    what is going on in that last picture? i can't figure out what exactly is happening.
    how is he able to become immune to magnetos power?
    does it have to do with his magnetic field canceling out magnetos magnetic field? how is that explained to work?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7  Edited By The_Martian

I'm not sure the context of the last scan actually. I just know that Magneto wasn't able to use his powers. I'm not sure if its due to Iron Man's magnetic field or if he uses some sort of magnetic resistant metal.

TelekineticSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TelekineticSun

yah, ive heard of megnetic forces being able to deflect other magnetic forces before. not completely canceling them out like i said before, but deflecting the effects of them.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I do like how his armor stood against Thor's lightening.. but nothing stands long against the hammer :)

And the Magneto's deal much like the Sentinals he probably has a suit composed of non-magnetic material just for that. After all he has suits to fight Thor and Hulk, so why not one of hte most powerful mutants in the U

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By HaloKing343
    @StrongestOneThereIs:
    Hasn't Iron Man been electrocuted before? I'm pretty sure he's conducted in the past.
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Slinger
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " Tony Stark is a pretty smart guy, I think he would build the suit insulated against lighting strikes. After all airplanes get struck by lighting everyday and it doesn't effect them. So he probably wouldn't even need the forcefield. "
    You can't really insulate against lightning strikes, the voltage is too ridiculously high. The reason planes and cars are safe in lightning storms is because of the way electricity passes through a conductor. Electricity only moves on the outside of the conductor, never really through it, so whatever is on the inside is safe. Iron Man I'm sure is protected against most lightning, but he has been shown to be affected by lightning from Thor (in the next panel or two of that Thor scan, Tony says something to the effect that his suit's circuits are fried, if my memory serves.) Because Tony's armor is sealed, the electricity probably just traveled on the outside and to ground, not doing any damage. It's likely the accompanying electromagnetic burst that comes with lightning was what fried all of his circuits.

@HaloKing343 said:
    " @StrongestOneThereIs: Hasn't Iron Man been electrocuted before? I'm pretty sure he's conducted in the past. "
    Since Tony is alive, I can safely say that he has never been electrocuted. Unless he was killed by electricity, then later revived. He may have been subject to electric shock, but electrocution always means death.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Slinger said:
    "
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " Tony Stark is a pretty smart guy, I think he would build the suit insulated against lighting strikes. After all airplanes get struck by lighting everyday and it doesn't effect them. So he probably wouldn't even need the forcefield. "
    You can't really insulate against lightning strikes, the voltage is too ridiculously high. The reason planes and cars are safe in lightning storms is because of the way electricity passes through a conductor. Electricity only moves on the outside of the conductor, never really through it, so whatever is on the inside is safe. Iron Man I'm sure is protected against most lightning, but he has been shown to be affected by lightning from Thor (in the next panel or two of that Thor scan, Tony says something to the effect that his suit's circuits are fried, if my memory serves.) Because Tony's armor is sealed, the electricity probably just traveled on the outside and to ground, not doing any damage. It's likely the accompanying electromagnetic burst that comes with lightning was what fried all of his circuits.

@HaloKing343 said:
    " @StrongestOneThereIs: Hasn't Iron Man been electrocuted before? I'm pretty sure he's conducted in the past. "
    Since Tony is alive, I can safely say that he has never been electrocuted. Unless he was killed by electricity, then later revived. He may have been subject to electric shock, but electrocution always means death. "
    In Capain America #33 Bucky pushed Iron Man into a power box of some sort and it electricuted him, didn't kill him but it did shock him a little
    The Archivist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The Archivist
    @Slinger said:
    "He may have been subject to electric shock, but electrocution always means death. "
    Electrocution always means death? Actually, it all depends on the amount of electricity (ampage and wattage) you receive. A few years ago I was electrocuted while plugging in a kettle and got knocked on my ass. Apart from the annoyance, the worst effect I received was that the nail on my right index finger was all yicky for a couple of months.
    Remember this folks, always dry your hands properly before handling electrical equipment.
    Avatar image for captain_commander
    Captain Commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero Point energy force field and safe-guards against chaos magic (than can disassemble all complex tools). Electricity shouldn't be a big problem seeing as how he can recharge using it. Mind you he has had problems with electro-magnetic radiation.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.