Hey guys, I watched the Iron Man 3 trailer and couldn't help but notice the uncanny parallels between his movies and their Dark Knight trilogy counterparts.
Iron Man; Batman Begins
The similarities are uncanny
Tony Stark ; Bruce Wayne
- Both are billionaires, and are son to philanthropist parents.
- Both start out somewhat flawed, until getting somewhat of a wake-up call (Bruce Wayne finally learning what it means to bring justice, and not hatred, and Tony Stark learning to fix problems rather than blowing them up).
- When they first don there costume, they keep their identity a secret, and the first enemies they encounter are defeated rather easily.
- The people they were once friends with, stab them in the back unexpectedly (Though with Ras al Ghul he had it coming)
The Ten Rings; The League of Shadows
- Both are a clandestine organization who seek to fix the would-be errors of the modern world (Ten Rings is not suppose to be Al-Qaeda).
- Though never mentioned in the 2nd film, they come back by surprise and overwhelm the protagonist in the third film, and have a completely different leader.
- The Ten Rings seek to take out Tony Stark, due to his considerably corrupt ways, while the League of Shadows seek to take out Gotham due to its immense corruption and imbalance.
Ras' Al Ghul ; Obadiah Stane
- Both are the focus of the final battle/climax of the film.
- They both have the ends justify the means approach to getting the job done, as opposed to the protagonist more humanitarian ways.
- Phil Coulson = Commissioner Gordon, though very partially
- Pepper Potts = Rachel Dawes. In allot of ways actually
Iron Man 2; The Dark Knight
Ivan Vanko ; The Joker
- Both oppose the protagonist in every way.
- They are driven the villany due to there anger at the world and what it's done with them
- They point out the flaws in both the hero, and the politicians.
- They both manage to escape from jail in a nifty fashion, though Vanko's was assisted.
- They are both interrogated by the hero while in jail, though for Stark it was more of a taunt.
Hammer Tech ; Dagget Industries
- Daggett industries is in TDKR, although they both have the parallel of trying to take over or sell out Wayne Enterprise/Stark Industries
Iron Man 3; Dark Knight Rises
No more fancy listing, I'm getting tired of that -_-
- Litterly and metaphorically, the hero gets a big run for there money, that they have to push there limits to get out of
- Villain works with organization from first movie
- Mandarin = Bane (obviously)
UPDATED AFTER VIEWING IRON MAN 3
- Mandarin (Kingsley) = Bane
- They both play as the figurehead of the antagonist terrorist group. However, it turns out they were pawns, taking order from someone else. However Mandarin was more of a patzy, and Bane seem to be completely aware of the cause he was fighting for.
- Aldrich Killan = Talia
- Both play as the true villain behind the figurehead mentioned above. However Aldrich was more than obviously a villain in the movie, while Talia was pretty unseeming. There is however the similarity of both of them being linked to the past of the main character (Talia being linked to Ras Al Ghul, who mentored Bruce Wayne)
- Protagonist gives up Superhero persona
- Tony Stark/Bruce Wayne are done dealing with the stresses and psychological pain involved with being a superhero. They both see that their prescense attracts trouble, so they just throw it away. I assume Iron man knows there is already the Avengers, so he's ok with retiring. Bruce Wayne however passes the Cape and the Cowl to John Blake (Joseph GL).
It is unfortunate that it seems that nobody will take on the mantle of Iron Man, some say he won't even be in the Avengers 2. I think that's okay though, It will provide space to introduce a new avengers. I was hoping for the after-credits scene to hint at who that might be, but it was nice to see Bruce Banner/The Hulk again, it also begs the question why Stark wasn't like "Hey big guy where you when me and the US Govt. were taking it up the ass!". Which could be explained by Banner's recluse lifestyle, and no gamma radiation that needed to be tracking. The events seem to only take place in a matter of days anyway.