Follow

Iron Man

Character » Iron Man appears in 11210 issues.

Tony Stark was the arrogant son of wealthy, weapon manufacturer Howard Stark. Tony cared only about himself, but he would have a change of heart after he was kidnapped by terrorists and gravely injured. Pressured to create a weapon of mass destruction, Stark instead created a suit of armor powerful enough for him to escape. Tony used his vast resources and intellect to make the world a better place as The Invincible Iron Man. Stark's super hero identity led him to become a founding member of the Avengers.

'Iron Man 3' Teaser Trailer Scene Breakdown and Analysis

• 130 results
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@jason44143 said:

@ nicholai441: made me think: isn't the mandarin chinese? his voice sounds too english. it doesn't sound like he has that chinese accent, you know the same accent you hear in jet li and jackie chan's voice when they talk.

Actually i may be totally wrong on this because i really only have just a small amount of knowledge on ironman from random comics through out the years, but i think the mandarin is vietnamese.

Though i think Kingsley may give a nice performance, i really dont understand why they werent able to get an asian mandarin. i cant tell if theyre trying to make him look more middle eastern since in ironman 1 he was associated with the middle eastern terrorist group. but if that is the case the name wouldnt make a lot of sense. I dont know maybe im looking at it too narrow mindedly.

The movie looks really good though, im thankful to see that it looks like it may be able to erase the mess ironman 2 was.

China is essentially a producer of the film, a portion of the film will be shot there, and a couple of the cast members will be famous Chinese actors. The rumor is that they didn't want any negative Chinese roles, hence The Mandarin being whitewashed.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By leokearon

Really excited about this, fingers crossed the Mandarian doesn't get an armour

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By sentryman555

I actually thought the ever since New York thing was referring to Avengers. The whole I've made a lot of enemies line could be that Tony actually realizes how deep in the superhero world he's gone. Like when he made the armor in the first movie it was so he could battle terrorists and stop his weapons from being misused. Now in Avengers he's fighting demi-gods. Thats a lot to take in for one guy.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By Inverno

@Crackdown said:

Mandarin's voice sounds very odd. Not threatening, but kind of... monotone.

Yeah, agreed... He really sound bored out of his mind. But what do you expect when a actor like him plays the villain in a superhero movie.

Does anybody else thinks his rings are really super powered or are just for the show?

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MisterKetch

@CaioTrubat said:

@Crackdown said:

Mandarin's voice sounds very odd. Not threatening, but kind of... monotone.

Yeah, agreed... He really sound bored out of his mind. But what do you expect when a actor like him plays the villain in a superhero movie.

Does anybody else thinks his rings are really super powered or are just for the show?

Could go either way, they might be trophy's or he might actually use them for powers. Besides the Iron Patriot/War Machine we don't really see any other villains in this so maybe that's what messes Tony up so much.

Anyone think Pepper is going to bite the big one? I almost feel like it would bring Tony's character in a much darker direction, to dark for the films overall. Would make him an asshole for Avengers 2 setting up for Iron Man 4 I guess.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Inverno

@MisterKetch said:

Anyone think Pepper is going to bite the big one? I almost feel like it would bring Tony's character in a much darker direction, to dark for the films overall. Would make him an asshole for Avengers 2 setting up for Iron Man 4 I guess.

I got that impression too. It wouldn't be out of place since most heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe don't get together with their love interests, with Tony being exception. If she doesn't die, she will probably leave him by the end.

I think the same thing will happen to Jane Foster in Thor 2: The Dark World.

jakijako29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By jakijako29

i think the armour attacking them in bed is actually all just a dream because tony did say he has nightmares and also captain america gets refferenced in every iron man film on the first two his shield was shown

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By sweatboy

Not the biggest Iron Man fan/follower, but i am excited about this. The potential for DARK AVENGERS!!!!

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#59  Edited By sweatboy

@rym said:

I think the Armour rudely awakening Pepper is not being worn by anyone, since we see that Tony can control his Armour with his mind, pieces of it fly towards him, so my guess as he is having the nightmare the armour attacks pepper or something

or nightmare

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Jorgevy

I think the only way for Pepper to survive that attack on the mansion will be to become Rescue

or maybe that's just my wish

manwithbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By manwithbacon

I'm so ready for this movie May could not come fast enough!!!

Avatar image for cancer_the_conqueror
    Cancer the Conqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dallas_Raines said:

@jason44143 said:

@ nicholai441: made me think: isn't the mandarin chinese? his voice sounds too english. it doesn't sound like he has that chinese accent, you know the same accent you hear in jet li and jackie chan's voice when they talk.

Actually i may be totally wrong on this because i really only have just a small amount of knowledge on ironman from random comics through out the years, but i think the mandarin is vietnamese.

Though i think Kingsley may give a nice performance, i really dont understand why they werent able to get an asian mandarin. i cant tell if theyre trying to make him look more middle eastern since in ironman 1 he was associated with the middle eastern terrorist group. but if that is the case the name wouldnt make a lot of sense. I dont know maybe im looking at it too narrow mindedly.

The movie looks really good though, im thankful to see that it looks like it may be able to erase the mess ironman 2 was.

China is essentially a producer of the film, a portion of the film will be shot there, and a couple of the cast members will be famous Chinese actors. The rumor is that they didn't want any negative Chinese roles, hence The Mandarin being whitewashed.

Your explanation sounds incredibly dated. Just because there are Chinese employees to the production of this film doesn't make the reason to change the villain's original ethnicity. Granted, they could use the Mandarin's character to tear up the People's Republic if they wanted to (The Mandarin was a wealthy aristocrat who lost everything when China went Communist), and even the name is the most blatant Chinese name thinkable, but most likely Kingsley was cast to lend his star power after Micky Rourke's so-so contribution last time. Still though, to reach the most accurate depiction fof the origianl character, I would have gone with Chow Yun-Fat. Seeing him years ago in At World's End with the Fu Manchu and long fingernails sealed it for me.

Darcsteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Darcsteel

Looking at the headband he's wearing when he says he wants to protect Pepper I wonder if this might be when his armor gains sentience, or mabye its a remote armor that was hacked by the Mandrin (which would explain him needing a new armor, having his armory destroyed, and Iron man tearing a plane open and leaving people to fall and die. Revealing himself as Iron Man means not a lot of people are going to believe him when he says he didnt do it

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By fACEmelter88

NOW! I WANT THE MOVIE NOOOOOOOOOW!

Quartermaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Quartermaim

Why have the Iron Patriot armor?

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

I can't wait I'm excited Iron Man will finally take on the Mandarin

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By zackattack529

o be honest i didn't like this trailer. it doesnt want to make me see it.

Iron man 2 may have sucked, but it had a better trailer than this.

Arevish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Arevish

I think that scene where pepper is sleeping is a nightmare of tony. He feels like he is losing control or something like that...

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Spideycap

Looks great, there was no way Tony could continue to just live it up as a super hero. Bad shit happens to super heroes, and when you dont have a secret identity and you dont take things seriously...bad shit happens to the ones you care about. This is a lesson Tony still needs to learn to become the ultimate super hero of the MCU. I have no idea whats up with Mandarin's tattoo, but it is very strange to say the least.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#70  Edited By jinxuandi

Ben Kingsley as Mandarin = EPIC

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By _Zombie_

Still would have preferred to see Chow Yun-Fat, but hey, Kingsley has a good enough record that I'm not too worried.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By cameron83

sorry DC,i love your comics way more than marvels for a fact.But when it comes to movies they beat you..

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

I really don't like the way the Mandarin looks :(

Being Chinese I really wanted him to be Chinese T.T

I personally think Chow Yun Fat would make a great Mandarin.

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

Looks very promising. Wonder if they'll throw Pepper in a suit so she can survive the blast? Who knows. As long as its better than the second movie. And this movie better not be too dark. Doesn't fit in with Marvel films. I see DC as the dark world, and Marvel as the more colorful happy universe

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By sunhawk

anyone else noticing that Iron Man and War Machine(in Iron Patriot livery) appear to be attacking an airliner that is either a corporate or government jet?

LuffyDUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#76  Edited By LuffyDUzumaki

Iron Man 3: Tony Stark Rises

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By queenfrost_

Pepper won't die. Trust me. They've spent two films (and this one) building up her character to be quite layered. My guess is that by the end of the film she'll be left in a coma, giving Tony further reason to 'avenge'. Her fate will probably be unknown until Avengers 2.

Jane Foster, however, could die. She's not as layered (kinda bland), but the audience will still miss her relationship with Thor.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I'm glad to see Manderin's 10 rings, I thought they weren't going to show up since the Iron Man avoided magic up till now.

I need to know the backstory on that huge bunny there!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#79  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

pft the whole tralier alrwdy came outt like yesterday

caughtmau5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By caughtmau5

The mandarin must have bought lots of cereal boxes to collect all those rings , lol

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#81  Edited By joshmightbe

@Miss_Garrick: The Mandarin IS NOT magic, his rings are based on alien tech, all these people who keep saying he's magic don't know crap about the character

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mattwing87

@Miss_Garrick said:

I'm glad to see Manderin's 10 rings, I thought they weren't going to show up since the Iron Man avoided magic up till now.

I need to know the backstory on that huge bunny there

Once Thor came out is when they introduced magic the Marvel cinematic universe. We don't know if he will be using magic. I think he had a gun in the trailer and he used helicopters for his dirty work. Wouldn't he just conjure a spell to blow up the mansion.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By Jedted
    Avatar image for supermanjohnathankentjr
    SupermanJohnathanKentJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the part where that Iron Man suit shows up at Tony and Pepper's bed was fucking hilarious.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@joshmightbe: I forgot about the rings being alien until you said so. Sorry about the faux pas, but I never read Iron Man so I didn't know better.

AmazingGamer91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By AmazingGamer91

That part in the trailer where "Iron Man" grabs Stark in his bed reminds me of the time when Tony's Iron Man armor became sentient and got jealous of his friends and such.

Mizz_Coconut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Mizz_Coconut

DUDE

awesome!!! so excited

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#88  Edited By sora_thekey

Interesting that this time the trailer has a darker approach while the last two movie's trailers were all about the comedy.

TwistedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By TwistedGamer

I hope this is an improvement from iron man 2... And I actually like IM2. Awesome trailer btw

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ZombiePie

I think that Ben Kingsely's, or whoever was doing it, narration during the trailer sounds really off! If that's going to be his accent for the Mandarin it's going to take some getting use to.

kingsloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By kingsloth

Looks good I love ben kingsley

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#92  Edited By joshmightbe

@Miss_Garrick: Sorry for sounding bitchy I've just had the argument about Mandarin being magic or not a few thousand times with many people

Avatar image for imaginecomics123
    ImagineComics123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ImagineComics123

Yeah, I think Stark may have accidently been responsible for the Hiroshima looking blast in someway and Mandarin might want some kind of revenge on him for it? Just a theory. But the trailer looks amazing and I simply cannot wait for this movie to come out.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By judasnixon
    @rockwellfontana: Hey! That's my mexican love donkey! How did that get there? I was looking for that! Damn it Tony!
    shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By shackle

@Zeeguy91: Really? Not enough exposition in a two minute trailer for a two hour film for ya?

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By butters911

That trailer was really good

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By BraveToaster

@G-Man: Thanks for the breakdown. I have two theories on the bed scene with Pepper and the Suit.

Theory 1: This is a far-fetched and crazy theory. The suit develops a personality and is jealous/over-protective of Tony. It stands guard while Tony sleeps and was probably upset that Pepper is close to Tony. It's obvious that Tony is not in the suit because he's in bed with Pepper and he seems to be upset about something.

Theory 2: Tony finds a way to integrate Jarvis into his suit, who can operate it while Stark rests. People want to kill Tony and he is in a state of vulnerability whenever he's out of the suit. I initially thought that the suit was trying to quietly wake Pepper/Tony to inform them of intruders, but it looks like the suit roughly snatches up Pepper. This makes me lean toward the former theory.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#98  Edited By Deadcool

Looks cool

MisterKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By MisterKetch

Ugh that scene with Pepper in that harness is freakin me out I really don't want her to die, and if she has to I don't want it to be a bad/painful death. It looks like theres some sort of cannister attached to the harness maybe she's going to be pumped full of the extremis serum.

MadameMasque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MadameMasque

@MisterKetch: Pepper Potts shall not die for she can only die by my hands.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.