Iron Man 2's Got the Most Mistakes of 2010?

• 74 results
Posted by No_name_here (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

Ohhhh! He should have armor on his legs!

I’m sure a lot of you Comic Vine maniacs who weren’t pleased with IRON MAN 2 are going to make snarky comments about the whole movie being a mistake. Me, myself, I thoroughly enjoyed it. More than the first one, even. I’m honestly baffled about the backlash, and I suppose you could consider this blurb from Splash Page a kind of backlash. See, there’s a website called Movie Mistakes wherein anal-retentive viewers can post the continuity gaffes they’ve noticed in a movie after watching it a fifth or sixth time. As of now, IRON MAN 2 has the most “mistakes” of any movie released this summer with a tally of around 45.

Unless you really care that Justin Hammer's napkin was folded differently from shot to shot during his dinner with Whiplash, I’m just going to post the ones I find interesting…  == TEASER ==

Character mistake: During the final aerial battle at Hammer's expo, when War Machine's suit is still compromised and he is helping Iron Man evade Whiplash's drones, Iron Man accidentally once refers to War Machine as "Don," as in Don Cheadle, when War Machine's name is James Rhodes.

Deliberate "mistake": The whole Monaco race sequence is totally (but deliberately) ludicrous. First no pilot would be allowed without a fireproof mask and rest of required security measures, as Stark does. Second, the real-life security controls are very strict: When an accident occurs a safety car shows up, flags and audio advices signal the racing cars for them to lower their speed and avoid accidents. Nothing to do with the wild, uncontrolled race depicted here. 

Deliberate "mistake": Whiplash's Orange jumpsuit defies physics. The scene shows Whiplash powering up his harness at the race track, which burns off the top section of the jumpsuit, however the jumpsuit then mysteriously and impossibly appears tucked under the harness's belt. If the belt was in the inside of the jumpsuit, the jumpsuit would just fall to the ground and leave Whiplash basically naked, and not be tucked under the belt. If the Harness belt was placed on the outside of the jumpsuit, then the remains of the jumpsuit would have draped over the belt covering it up. There is no way the jumpsuit can end up tucked under the belt, but its done so Mr. Rourke and the movie can remain PG.

That suitcase was totally on its other side in the last shot!
So they fudged some details so Mickey Rourke wouldn't be bare-ass naked? Really now? I actually do remember Iron Man calling War Machine “Don” and I’m a still surprised nobody caught that.  That’s probably a result of the amount of improv that was going on in this movie.  

It’s fair to point out some big errors like how ludicrous Tony just taking control a dragsters is (although, I suppose anything can be explained away by him just being filthy rich) but compiling a list of how the level of a wine glass changes from frame to frame reminds of this girl from one of my film production classes in college. At the end of every week, we’d screen our shorts for peer review. While everybody else commented ON how a gag worked or if a performance was believable, this girl just pointed out continuity errors that could only be seen for a few frames. She almost had a superhuman power for it.

Nobody else noticed that stuff and, as you can expect, nobody liked it when she commented.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

#1 Posted by gambit987 (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

you could explane the don mistake. you could say it was a nickname of rhodey i know it is a bit farfetched but still

#2 Posted by Man of Lengend (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

i think people like to complain too much , it was a grat movie despite the mistakes

#3 Posted by SupremoMaximo (209 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Jonah Hex was the biggest mistake of the summer..

#4 Posted by Crono11 (54 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that I think about it I remember him saying Don too. 

I always find the things like the napkin to be kinda funny. Having different things in the background of the same shot can be kinda fun.

#5 Posted by Captain13 (3408 posts) - - Show Bio
@gambit987 said:
" you could explane the don mistake. you could say it was a nickname of rhodey i know it is a bit farfetched but still "
James "The Don" Rhodey. Lol!!!!!!! What a mobster.
#6 Posted by CaptainUseless (730 posts) - - Show Bio
@Man of Lengend said:
" i think people like to complain too much , it was a grat movie despite the mistakes "
#7 Posted by miraclefan (9 posts) - - Show Bio

WAY too much time on these nerds hands! XD    
#8 Posted by greeneagle (162 posts) - - Show Bio

its unfortunate that  some folks prefer to bitch unnecessarily rather than appreciate

#9 Posted by ALNET_HUNK (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the movie a lot. More than the first :) 
Thats just hilarious though 'Don'

#10 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I do remember him saying Don, but you can forgive him considering the situation he was in lol. Still, I did enjoy watching Iron Man 2.

#11 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, wait, one of the mistakes that they highlight is that Whiplash's jumpsuit defies physics?

The entire movie defies physics! Why are they even watching Iron Man 2, then?

Anyways, the continuity based nitpicks are much more interesting and legit than the stuff that they worked aroud for the sake of the plot and setpieces, because EVERY action movie has things like that.

#12 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

Well one thing I noticed in this movie that made me so upset that was the biggest mistake was that when Roddie got the armor. Roddie had gotten the armor and seem liked an expert in it. But in the first movie Tony took half the movie to learn how to use the armor. I thought that was a big mistake and plot hole. 

#13 Posted by Roninidas (383 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really catch any of the mistakes I was too busy enjoying the movie. 

#14 Posted by danhimself (22631 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a movie!  not everything has to fit in with your real world rules and laws...here's something else they may not have noticed....Iron Man isn't real and no matter how many rules the Monaco raceway has they would never let a fictional character drive a car

#15 Posted by ComicMan24 (147095 posts) - - Show Bio

Mistakes happen in almost all movies. Most of the times people don't even see them. If you like a movie, those mistakes mean nothing.

#16 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, whenever I notice a potential gaffe in a Marvel movie I just blame it on the Skrulls.

#17 Posted by Cybexx (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't necessarily think Iron Man 2 has the most mistakes of the year, its just the movie that is most scrutinized by the type of people who watch for minor continuity errors. I believe Spiderman held the same crown when it came out and its just because people will watch it to death, but I'm sure there are less popular movies this year that actually have more mistakes.

#18 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio
@miraclefan said:
" WAY too much time on these nerds hands! XD     "
Agree 

Those are too detailed.. I call mistakes but its only when the mistakes are too evident like Wolverine appearing all the sudden inside the laboratory without the jacket when he was just outside wearing the jacket.  But this is just too much

#20 Posted by Zniperking (281 posts) - - Show Bio
@SupremoMaximo: I agree
#21 Posted by thatlad (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Aside from the final fight with Micky Rourke I actually liked Iron Man 2. I mean yeah it was no Iron Man or TDK but it was a pretty good action film. 

#22 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't why but usually when a movie is like terrible and a whole bunch of people don't like it i do!! I'm sort of like a movie whore i guess but like this movie however didn't really live up to the second one for some reason it just wasn't as great but it doesn't have the most mistakes i mean there were other movies worst then this like The Last Airbender 

#23 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duncan: me too.
#24 Posted by greeneagle (162 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow_Thief said:
" Eh, whenever I notice a potential gaffe in a Marvel movie I just blame it on the Skrulls. "
LOLOLOLOL
#25 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont even remember him calling war machine don...ill have to see when it comes out on dvd...but i thought the movie was great...im not a critic

#26 Posted by Timm (255 posts) - - Show Bio

it never ceases to amaze me how many people out there devote so much energy to hating on stuff. i liked this one almost as much as the first one.

#27 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Reminds me of Luke shouting, 'Carrie!'  

I like that these little slip ups still work their way into the final cut :)

#28 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefered the first film but this film was really good, I didn't like the abttle at the end though, Jon Favreau can't make good finale battles right, also it completely rips off Predator.
#29 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roninidas said:
" I didn't really catch any of the mistakes I was too busy enjoying the movie.  "
#30 Posted by chris4man (4 posts) - - Show Bio
@SupremoMaximo:
Jona Hex is the worst one Ironman 2 was way better . The only movie that didn't suck with Megan Fox is transformers
#31 Posted by luckynitro007 (83 posts) - - Show Bio

everyone knows he meant Don Johnson. Miami Vice rocks
#32 Posted by Jake Fury (18936 posts) - - Show Bio

I am aghast at these mistakes. I'll never go see ANOTHER movie again.
#33 Posted by The Impersonator (5555 posts) - - Show Bio

the Scarlett stunt double as Black Widow.

#34 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio

Most films have some sort of continuinty editor or assistant or something along the lines of "person in charge of ensuring continuity."  

So someone got paid to stand around the set of IM2 to, according to this report, screw up a lot. What a job...

#35 Posted by joshmightbe (24946 posts) - - Show Bio

i feel sorry for those whose lives are so sad and devoid of meaning that they have nothing better to do than nit pick about crap that doesn't matter at all

#36 Posted by Decept-O (7280 posts) - - Show Bio

Odd, I don't recall Tony Stark calling Rhodey "Don".  Maybe it just happened too fast.  Which is what happened with a lot of this movie, things moved rather fast.  

The one thing I will nitpick on although it didn't bother me a lot, was the fact Whiplash was hit with a car and slammed against the barrier by Happy.   Whiplash seemed unfazed and uninjured.  Does the harness protect him from physical harm?   

Overall, though, this movie kicked ass and definitely not worth harping on the inconsistencies to prevent anyone from enjoying what is a fun ride.  IM2 was a great movie.

#37 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
"It's a movie!  not everything has to fit in with your real world rules and laws...here's something else they may not have noticed....Iron Man isn't real and no matter how many rules the Monaco raceway has they would never let a fictional character drive a car "

lol, agreed.
#38 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

This is funny stuff. I found another "Deliberate Mistake"

"Meh, no one will notice"

I kid I kid :)
#39 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember him saying Don.

#40 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
"i feel sorry for those whose lives are so sad and devoid of meaning that they have nothing better to do than nit pick about crap that doesn't matter at all "

I agree, but come on, the napkins, it ruined the movie. 
#41 Posted by AirDave817 (818 posts) - - Show Bio

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I may have heard the "Don" line, but I thought it was a fantastic movie in spite of the continuity and "logic" errors. I notice a lot of movies are "sucking" this summer...

#42 Posted by TylerLux (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Tony also calls Stark Industries Stark Enterprises when he asked Natalie how she is fitting in at the company.

#43 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Impersonator said:
"
the Scarlett stunt double as Black Widow.

"
lol
The cinema I saw the movie in showed it at a normal speed not slow mo so I totally missed this one. :P
#44 Edited by jonasLighter (91 posts) - - Show Bio

When you have to complaine about a movie you saw two times too many, you need to get a life.  If I love a film, I will never bitch about a subtle mistake like the ones mentioned here.  In the words of Shatner," It's not real, get a life".

#45 Posted by Adam Michaels (435 posts) - - Show Bio

For me, the most ridiculous part is the Monaco scene where Tony simply walks through and takes control of the race car. I didn't mind the fact that he decided to dismisss the driver in order to drive it himself. In fact, I don't explain that as Tony simply being rich that he can do what he wants, but more due to his wreckless behavior because he was dying at that time. 

What I thought was a little out there was that he was actually able to race with all of these professional F1 drivers. Had they simply added it to the dialogue that Tony races these cars for fun, I wouldn't think twice about that whole scene. I know that some celebrities like to race in their spare time, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Tony knows how. It just needed a simple line to help establish that he can actually race out there. Nevertheless, I tell myself that he can race so that scene is still viewable without having to roll my eyes or smack my forehead. 

The movie was awesome and even if to many, it wasn't as good as the first one, it doesn't matter. It was an awesome movie and that's all you need.
#46 Posted by jonasLighter (91 posts) - - Show Bio
@AirDave817: 

This is one of the worst in years. Not one original flick yet.  We need Inception.
#47 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio

hahaha. I love reading these things!!
#48 Posted by HaloKing343 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
"This is funny stuff. I found another "Deliberate Mistake"

"Meh, no one will notice"

I kid I kid :) "

Wow, is it me or did they change actors in that one part? That's a pretty big mistake.
#49 Posted by Bloodstonefreak (138 posts) - - Show Bio

As a Film Studies major, I don't normally complain about mess ups like that nor do I look for them (unless it ruins the film going experience).  I'm at the film to enjoy myself then be a critic.  I'll pick out the stuff only if it's really obvious.  Oh well, to each his or her own...

#50 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm, didn't even notice them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.